Skip to main content

I’m a High school senior graduating this year. 

Was convinced to play baseball by some friends of mine. 

Hadnt played since middle school, but had a very good year, hitting .410 with 9 home runs in 61 at bats.

my coach, who has coached a lot of great players over the years said he was amazed as to why I didn’t play baseball until this year and that I could have gone to play in college if I had played.

my odd ball situation starts here.

i didn’t get into the college I wanted to, so I am looking to transfer anyway. But with this advice, I was considering trying my hand at baseball in college too. I know about perfect game showcases, but understand those are for high schoolers. Is there a way to contact the coach at the school I wish to transfer to and do a workout with them? Or is there a showcase for college players? 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

CTbballDad posted:

Yes...you were on no ones radar.  I would call coaches and let them know about you. Even have your HS coach help out. It's not too late.

Thanks for responding.

My first year of college I’m not going to be playing, only doing weight training just because I don’t particularly like the school I’m going to be at. I don’t know how my high school coach could help a lot since I am already going to a specific college, albeit for one year.

If you talk to the coach, and he likes you, he can get you enrolled this year.  You have nothing to lose.  Or maybe you can try to walk on to the school you're currently enrolled at, to gain the experience.  But then you might have transfer rules issues (not sure what school, D1, etc.)

Not an apples to apples story, but here's one on a current UCONN player.  All it takes is a phone call

http://dailycampus.com/stories...o-jo-christian-field

The HS coach would be helpful as a reference and to validate any information you provide to the college coach.  This would be very important, considering your particular situation.  BTW, if the college coach knows you only plan on attending for one year and didn't play baseball until senior year, this will not work in your favor unless those 9 HR's in 61 AB's were on a legit field against decent competition.  Was this on a field with normal fence distances?  What was the level of competition?  What level college are you looking at?  Those numbers are pretty remarkable unless it was at a park with no fences/very short fences.

Before you make that decision, research the time commitment that college baseball requires (you can search the topic here).  Also, there are showcases for unsigned seniors.  But if you are already committed to going to the college you mention, take CTbballdad's advise.

cabbagedad posted:

The HS coach would be helpful as a reference and to validate any information you provide to the college coach.  This would be very important, considering your particular situation.  BTW, if the college coach knows you only plan on attending for one year and didn't play baseball until senior year, this will not work in your favor unless those 9 HR's in 61 AB's were on a legit field against decent competition.  Was this on a field with normal fence distances?  What was the level of competition?  What level college are you looking at?  Those numbers are pretty remarkable unless it was at a park with no fences/very short fences.

Before you make that decision, research the time commitment that college baseball requires (you can search the topic here).  Also, there are showcases for unsigned seniors.  But if you are already committed to going to the college you mention, take CTbballdad's advise.

Yes. Normal fences. 320 to corners 365 to power alleys and 385-400 to center. They were all out the park 

it was high school varsity baseball, in a decent area. Definitely some talent there. 

I know 9hrs sounds unlikely, but I’m no small guy (6’2 215) so I can generate some bat speed and force.

both the school I’m attending and one I want to transfer to are D1

Last edited by Bullseye

You seem to be assuming that you have no choice but to attend this school in the fall. Have you paid anything other than a deposit? If that's all, consider walking away from the deposit and attending a juco. Many juco teams play an extensive fall schedule and more games in the spring than NCAA. That would help you make up for the time you've lost.

Cool!  Yeah, if you are up to the time commitment, doesn't hurt to give it a shot!  Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Some other challenges to be aware of... if you sit a year, you fall further behind other college players and the value of your recent success diminishes a bit.  If you play and then transfer, there are sit rules that may come into play.  

MidAtlanticDad posted:

You seem to be assuming that you have no choice but to attend this school in the fall. Have you paid anything other than a deposit? If that's all, consider walking away from the deposit and attending a juco. Many juco teams play an extensive fall schedule and more games in the spring than NCAA. That would help you make up for the time you've lost.

Parents won’t allow a juco. Not an option unfortunately 

Bullseye posted:

If you really want to play college baseball, I'd at least try to persuade them. Many jucos don't mind if you go one year then transfer to a 4-year. That might make it more appealing to your parents.

If that's definitely out, what's stopping you from going the 2nd school this fall? Are you sure that school has cut off admissions?

If you do end up on campus at school 1, you can attend their open tryout (almost no one ever makes the team that way), but also find out if they have a club team. Some club teams play a fall and spring schedule.

I'm not sure you need a showcase (not a good time of year for that), but you do need someone who can help you assess the level of college that you should be shooting for. I'd really recommend a college coach for that. Could be juco or any other level. Jucos can even give you a private workout on campus. TBH, your school 2 D1 might be a pipe dream. You're starting this process years behind most college baseball players. A D3 might be a better fit.

Also, you should try to play this summer. There may be a collegiate league in your area that will take you on, or at least a decent men's league. Feel free to PM me your location if you need help finding one.

Bullseye posted:

I’m a High school senior graduating this year. 

Was convinced to play baseball by some friends of mine. 

Hadnt played since middle school, but had a very good year, hitting .410 with 9 home runs in 61 at bats.

my coach, who has coached a lot of great players over the years said he was amazed as to why I didn’t play baseball until this year and that I could have gone to play in college if I had played.

my odd ball situation starts here.

i didn’t get into the college I wanted to, so I am looking to transfer anyway. But with this advice, I was considering trying my hand at baseball in college too. I know about perfect game showcases, but understand those are for high schoolers. Is there a way to contact the coach at the school I wish to transfer to and do a workout with them? Or is there a showcase for college players? 

What part of the country are you in? There are unsigned senior showcases that you may consider attending (I know PBR has them here in Arizona in May). 

Thanks for the responding guys. A few points of clarification.

While I understand your talking about finding the right fit, this D1 school I want to go to was and still is my dream school, with or without baseball. So I wouldn’t be going to a D3 or another school even if I was for baseball. 

I actually did decently well academically, just didn’t get in to the school. Again, Juco isn’t a option with my parents.

more asking about ways to be seen by my hopefully future school and coach.

Last edited by Bullseye
RJM posted:

I can understand your parents being cool to a year at a JuCo. But it doesn’t matter where you start college. It’s where you graduate that counts. 

Yeah RJM. 

My parents both went to "elite" colleges, so they are hostile to the idea based on what they think about Juco's. Not saying their thoughts about Jucos are correct, but as long as they pay the tution, they make the rules.

Basically I have the same view as your parents. But if you’re going to look at transferring for baseball why not start at a JuCo is my view. Is your parents perspective you will be staying where you start and forget about baseball? If it’s a very good college the education is more important than baseball. You can find a summer adult league to play baseball. Does the college have a club program?

Did your parents go to grad school? Do you plan to? Educationally you also have to look at the big picture. Something you will hear on this site is unless you’re a pro prospect (unlikely you are) it’s about a forty year plan not a four year plan.

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:

Basically I have the same view as your parents. But if you’re going to look at transferring for baseball why not start at a JuCo is my view. Is your parents perspective you will be staying where you start and forget about baseball? If it’s a very good college the education is more important than baseball. You can find a summer adult league to play baseball. Does the college have a club program?

Did your parents go to grad school? Do you plan to? Educationally you also have to look at the big picture. Something you will hear on this site is unless you’re a pro prospect (unlikely you are) it’s about a forty year plan not a four year plan.

Hey RJM, 

no my parents view is no to junior college. Again, I’m not transferring anyway for baseball only. I’m going to send in one transfer applicant to this one school. I’m know I’m not a pro prospect, I just wanted to see if I could continue it in college. I had a ton of fun this year playing and performing well. 

Mother went to medical school, father went to law school.  I don’t plan on grad school though. You can likely start to see why they don’t like idea of Junior colleges. 

Only going to one other school, whether it’s for baseball or not. I just wanted to see if I could put myself in a better spot than being a blind walk on.

Last edited by Bullseye

If it’s just one school. It’s just one coach. You aren’t trying to be seen by coaches, you are trying to be seen by one coach. Have you emailed your stats? Explained your situation, sent video? Had your high school coach call?  It seems pretty easy that if you could get in front of him, even at a camp, he could tell you if you are in the balloark or not on the possibility of playing or walking on. 

Last edited by baseballhs

So I'm confused.....you didn't get into the "dream school", but that's where you're wanting to transfer....correct?   If you're only considering one school, then showcases aren't really an issue.  Contact the coach directly and let him know your situation.  If he is interested in seeing you play, find a team to play on this summer....there are teams that HS grads play on before they head to college...look for an 18U team...if you still qualify age-wise.   I guess I'd also consider the baseball situation at the school....if you're talking about an SEC or other Power 5 team....your lack of playing experience is probably going to be an issue....even with your size and power....but you won't know unless you ask.  Email the coach....also have your HS coach email/call him and explain the situation.    Almost all D1's have club ball...and some of those teams are actually awfully good.  I'd definitely look into it at the school you're heading to....it will allow you to play against some older kids....some of which were very good HS players...and let you see more pitching than just the one year of HS kids you saw

What position are you?  Keep in mind that even at mid-majors, almost all of the incoming freshmen were standout players in HS.....and almost all were a SS, CF or C.   Those guys can play multiple positions in college, which makes things much easier on a coach.  What was your batting average?  How many strikeouts?   9 HR's is nice...but not if you hit .210 and struck out 45 times. 

Good luck

Last edited by Buckeye 2015
Buckeye 2015 posted:

So I'm confused.....you didn't get into the "dream school", but that's where you're wanting to transfer....correct?   If you're only considering one school, then showcases aren't really an issue.  Contact the coach directly and let him know your situation.  If he is interested in seeing you play, find a team to play on this summer....there are teams that HS grads play on before they head to college...look for an 18U team...if you still qualify age-wise.   I guess I'd also consider the baseball situation at the school....if you're talking about an SEC or other Power 5 team....your lack of playing experience is probably going to be an issue....even with your size and power....but you won't know unless you ask.  Email the coach....also have your HS coach email/call him and explain the situation.    Almost all D1's have club ball...and some of those teams are actually awfully good.  I'd definitely look into it at the school you're heading to....it will allow you to play against some older kids....some of which were very good HS players...and let you see more pitching than just the one year of HS kids you saw

What position are you?  Keep in mind that even at mid-majors, almost all of the incoming freshmen were standout players in HS.....and almost all were a SS, CF or C.   Those guys can play multiple positions in college, which makes things much easier on a coach.  What was your batting average?  How many strikeouts?   9 HR's is nice...but not if you hit .210 and struck out 45 times. 

Good luck

All excellent points, especially the one I bolded -- but then again -- look at Joey Gallo in 17 and 18.  .209 and .204.  40 and 41 jacks.  Over 400 K's in about 1K AB. Has hit more home runs than singles!  This is the new MLB, for better or worse.  (his average is a respectable .264 this year, but with his K rate I bet it settles closer to .200 again.)

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Good luck

You are correct with the transfer situation.

i hit .410 (25-61) with 8 doubles, 2 triples and 9 home runs. 5 strikeouts. 

Goosegg posted:

Last questions: do you expect to use baseball to assist in admissions; if you didn't get in as an applying HS senior, why do you believe you'll be admitted as a transfer?

I will just say the schools to clear things up.

i got into university of Michigan. That is where I’m headed in the fall

i got deferred and then rejected from UPenn. 

I think I have a good chance to get in on the transfer. 

Bullseye, your profile says Northeast. What high school conference in what state did you play? It might provide a little insight to whether or not you’re the rare baseball player who get get it back after years of not playing and play D1 college ball. Did you play other sports? Did you excel?

RJM posted:

Bullseye, your profile says Northeast. What high school conference in what state did you play? It might provide a little insight to whether or not you’re the rare baseball player who get get it back after years of not playing and play D1 college ball. Did you play other sports? Did you excel?

KVAC in Maine. 

I played hockey for 5 years. Was a decent player, not amazing though. 

Bullseye posted:
Goosegg posted:

Last questions: do you expect to use baseball to assist in admissions; if you didn't get in as an applying HS senior, why do you believe you'll be admitted as a transfer?

I will just say the schools to clear things up.

i got into university of Michigan. That is where I’m headed in the fall

i got deferred and then rejected from UPenn. 

I think I have a good chance to get in on the transfer. 

That does clear things up.  Knowing that, definitely look into club ball for this fall and next Spring.  I've seen a couple of the B1G club teams play and there are definitely some very good players.  There were at least 3 guys on Michigan State's team that could have played at at least some of the better mid-majors.   You'll get to see guys 3-4 years older than you and get an idea on what you'll see in D1.

baseballhs posted:

I would guess based on what you’ve said  that if your high school coach called the Penn Coach, he would want to see you. Takes no effort for him if show up at a camp.

It looks like Penn has a summer camp June 10-11: https://pennbaseballcamp.com/summer-hs-camps.php. I would reach out to the coach, let him know about your situation, and see if they will allow you to attend as a graduated senior (and potential future transfer). Then I agree with prior posters that you should try to play club ball at Michigan during your freshman year.

Bullseye posted:
RJM posted:

KVAC in Maine. 

I live part time in Maine. I’m familiar with Maine high school sports. It’s very unrealistic to think you can go from a northern Maine conference that plays fourteen games to playing for Michigan or Penn. You probably see a lot of 75-80 mph pitching. The handful of players in Maine who have gone D1 are usually hooked up with out of state travel teams in the summer. It’s so they can play the kind of competition that demonstrates they’re potential D1 players. 

Currently there are two pitchers who touch 90 in the entire state. One is at South Portland. The other is at Deering. Both are committed to Vanderbilt. Chances are the Deering kid goes in the first round as an outfielder. A third in the upper 80’s is committed to Maine. He’s at South Portland.  They’re in southern Maine. You’re not facing them. Who are you facing to prove you can hit pitching that’s 88-92 mph?

Go to a Maine game. Sit as up close as possible. Ask yourself if you honestly think you can play at that level. Then consider Michigan would most likely beat the snot out of them. 

I’m not trying to be mean. I’m giving you the reality of the situation. You have an opportunity to get a great education at a great school. Ann Arbor is a fun place to go to college. You will have a lifetime alumni experience following football and basketball. While hockey isn’t a big time college exposure sport Michigan had a great hockey program to watch. Put a ribbon and bow on the experience by playing club ball.

Note to board: Maine rarely has two major conference studs in one year. Often there isn’t one. The best year was 2004. That class had two go to Vanderbilt (Ryan Flaherty, Orioles), another committed to Miami (Mark Rogers, Brewers) went high in the draft and signed. A third (Charlie Furbush, Mariners) went D3 and transferred to LSU. A fourth (Ryan Reid, Pirates) went to the CAA, increased his velocity and made it to the majors. 

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:
Bullseye posted:
RJM posted:

KVAC in Maine. 

I live part time in Maine. I’m familiar with Maine high school sports. It’s very unrealistic to think you can go from a northern Maine conference that plays fourteen games to playing for Michigan or Penn. You probably see a lot of 75-80 mph pitching. The handful of players in Maine who have gone D1 are usually hooked up with out of state travel teams in the summer. It’s so they can play the kind of competition that demonstrates they’re potential D1 players. 

Currently there are two pitchers who touch 90 in the entire state. One is at South Portland. The other is at Deering. Both are committed to Vanderbilt. Chances are the Deering kid goes in the first round as an outfielder. A third in the upper 80’s is committed to Maine. He’s at South Portland.  They’re in southern Maine. You’re not facing them. Who are you facing to prove you can hit pitching that’s 88-92 mph?

Go to a Maine game. Sit as up close as possible. Ask yourself if you honestly think you can play at that level. Then consider Michigan would most likely beat the snot out of them. 

I’m not trying to be mean. I’m giving you the reality of the situation. You have an opportunity to get a great education at a great school. Ann Arbor is a fun place to go to college. You will have a lifetime alumni experience following football and basketball. While hockey isn’t a big time college exposure sport Michigan had a great hockey program to watch. Put a ribbon and bow on the experience by playing club ball.

Note to board: Maine rarely has two major conference studs in one year. Often there isn’t one. The best year was 2004. That class had two go to Vanderbilt (Ryan Flaherty, Orioles), another committed to Miami (Mark Rogers, Brewers) went high in the draft and signed. A third (Charlie Furbush, Mariners) went D3 and transferred to LSU. A fourth (Ryan Reid, Pirates) went to the CAA, increased his velocity and made it to the majors. 

RJM, 

i asked for honesty and you have given it. I appreciate what your saying, even if it is tougher to deal with. Thanks for responding back 

MidAtlanticDad posted:
Bullseye posted:

If you really want to play college baseball, I'd at least try to persuade them. Many jucos don't mind if you go one year then transfer to a 4-year. That might make it more appealing to your parents.

If that's definitely out, what's stopping you from going the 2nd school this fall? Are you sure that school has cut off admissions?

If you do end up on campus at school 1, you can attend their open tryout (almost no one ever makes the team that way), but also find out if they have a club team. Some club teams play a fall and spring schedule.

I'm not sure you need a showcase (not a good time of year for that), but you do need someone who can help you assess the level of college that you should be shooting for. I'd really recommend a college coach for that. Could be juco or any other level. Jucos can even give you a private workout on campus. TBH, your school 2 D1 might be a pipe dream. You're starting this process years behind most college baseball players. A D3 might be a better fit.

Also, you should try to play this summer. There may be a collegiate league in your area that will take you on, or at least a decent men's league. Feel free to PM me your location if you need help finding one.

I may be wrong. Believe me it would not be a surprise to my wife, if I am. But I believe playing Club ball uses a year of eligibility. 

If he goes to his school in the fall, And transfers after Fall, Since he was not recruited by his first school he may not have to sit out. Again I could be wrong. And you know how my wife feels.  

BishopLeftiesDad posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:
Bullseye posted:

I may be wrong. Believe me it would not be a surprise to my wife, if I am. But I believe playing Club ball uses a year of eligibility. 

If he goes to his school in the fall, And transfers after Fall, Since he was not recruited by his first school he may not have to sit out. Again I could be wrong. And you know how my wife feels.  

Playing club ball doesn’t lose a year of eligibility, but going to Michigan for a year will cause me to lose a year. Regardless, I will lose a year of eligibility one way or the other

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.