Skip to main content

I would say that given it is an Ivy, you will have a better shot than you would at most other schools. That being said, the kids heading to Ivys for baseball still hit .400 in HS in tougher conferences and pump 87-90 regularly. They are playing travel ball over the summer and used to seeing 85+ on a daily basis. 

The good news for you is that they'll never turn down money, so all you have to do is get to a camp to be seen. The camps are a mixed bag in terms of talent. Some kids will show up throwing 86, others will be throwing 74. When the scrimmages start, its all random. It's worth a shot. Maybe you run into some kid throwing 78 and you kill the ball. If they like your swing and mechanics, maybe theres something there. Explain that you're looking to transfer and already have borderline grades. It's possible that if it goes well that they ask you do head to a JUCO for a semester and then bring you in for the spring. Something your parents can probably get on board with. 

The hard part is getting them to notice you. Email, have your HS coach call, whatever it takes. Because you can show up for a camp, go 4-4 and it won't matter if nobody is paying attention. 

If none of that works, then just apply as a regular student and try to walk on. But once you're at Michigan you probably won't want to leave. 

Bullseye posted:

Playing club ball doesn’t lose a year of eligibility, but going to Michigan for a year will cause me to lose a year. Regardless, I will lose a year of eligibility one way or the other

In this scenario, you would use up the first year of your 5 year clock, but you would still have 4 seasons of participation left. You should also qualify for the new rule that would allow you to participate immediately as a sophomore at the 2nd school.

https://community.hsbaseballwe...d-in-some-situations

First, congrats on a fine season. Playing HS ball with your classmates and friends is an experience which you will always relish. And particularly satisfying were those dingers.

Second, just preparing/elevating your baseball skills to college POTENTIAL is a tremendous time-consuming effort which rewards that focus with infinitesimal improvement and no guaranteed result. AND, the amount of work a college player puts in dwarfs the HS effort. For example, lifting x 5 and cage x 3 to a HS kid trying to get recruited is a week he has the flu. There is a saying in baseball which goes something like this: when you're not working out, someone who wants your spot is. 

So, bringing that to you, are you ready to  - starting next week - put in three hours a day to building baseball skills? That means batting lessons and, for you, a fielding/game coach. Every day. Three hours - and that's just to keep up with the guys who understand how hard it is and how much it takes to reach the next level.

Third, no coach will use any capital on you; coaches are too busy going after guys who have a long track record and multiple references. Doesn't mean you can't kick in a door and get a workout, just means it's all on you with no boost or real interest from the coach. All Ivy schools have a limited (app 6 - 8) number of kids who - after meeting academic minimums and possessing great skills - coaches get in. (By great skills, of my son's class, all thought they were pro material until stepping in campus; three reached proball, one is MLB, one AAA, the other retired.) That leaves several roster spots open for anyone who got in on their own - and these kids were also all-city, state, whatever.

Fourth, you need to educate yourself on the life of a college player. There are lots of threads here which talk about it; but, just think of going to classes AND having a 40/hr week job - and then the season begins. Do you have that type of stamina, committment, and discipline?

Fifth, what if you never played or even got an AB - but had to put in the same amount of work as a starter? Clean the field, do the chores, sit on the bench in the freezing cold, shagging for hours on hours, and all the behind the scenes scut work is part of being player. No glory, just every day grinding it out. 

Sixth, if you still harbor a burning desire to play college ball, every waking moment should be devoted to catching up with guys who have been playing at the highest levels for 5+ years; you need to put in the 10,000 hours that Malcolm Gladstone postulated was needed to gain a degree of expertise in any endeavor. Find the best instructors, get up early and hit 250 off a tee and again before bedtime. Pay a guy to hit groundballs and pop-ups until his palms bleed - then hit the gym. 

FWIW from my  experience:

• Son went to a CAA school (mid-major, high academic) and also drafter after Jr year.   That school routinely takes Juco transfers and walk ons.  Stuff happens at schools....players don't make the grades, and/or "other stuff" happens where they can't play.  (.....and the stories I could tell on the "other stuff")
  • I also know of a CWS contender (actually, a CWS winner recently) that plucked players from the club team to fill in their roster when injury, "and other stuff" happened one season and they lost key players.

With that:  contact the coaches at Michigan and ask for a tryout or when the walk-on tryouts will be in the fall, as well as gather info for their club team.  Nick Schnabel is Michigan's recruiting coordinator/assistant coach.  Send him your info now.   Have your HS coach contact him as well, in your behalf.  (I have personally met him when my son was going through the recruiting process.)  https://mgoblue.com/staff.aspx?staff=487    They may not want to go on a limb to roster a player that may not be there the following year, but hey, if you make the team, you may not want to leave!  Many/most players don't get to play baseball at their dream school (mine included) and Michigan IS a dream school for so many!  Study VERY hard first semester because those are the college grades that you will send to PENN for consideration.  

Someone mentioned the camp at Penn.  It may be the best way to get in front of those coaches.  Explain your situation to them ahead of attending.

Keep playing until someone tells you you can't.  Club ball is still a good option.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.