Skip to main content

I can't find the answers to some of my questions on their website.  I'm just finding out from reading here what a good opportunity the Futures Games are, especially for sophomores.  My son is a freshman who I am assuming is not good enough for the Futures Games this year.  If his goal is to get an invitation to play in them next year, what is the step by step road map for making that happen?  

To be clear, I'm not asking what he needs to do to improve as a player.  He will work hard to improve and he either will or won't be good enough.  For the purpose of this conversation let's assume he will be.  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Go to local PBR event, perform perform well and be one of them most energetic players at the event.  PBR runs a good eval camp.  They “project” a players intangibles more than most in the eval business and will extend an invitation to their futures games to some players who may be a little above average with skill and off the charts on intangibles.

Each PBR region is run as a separate entity and in general a good regional resource (although they're looking to go more national, with the Lakepoint agreement, etc).  They're good to get your measurables, at a reasonable cost, and will help in your recruiting by reaching out for you to local schools.  They run mostly showcases, not tournaments (see Lakepoint reference) and will invite regional schools to attend.

If you live in the Northeast, but want to go to school in the West Coast, PBR should not be your single source to get you there.  In this case, they may only be helpful in getting your measurable, profile and their write-ups.

As for futures, it's as Diggum says.  You may only need to go to one, or two, of their showcases to get an invite.  It's a good event, but not the end all/be all.  At your son's age, his goal should be to get better and stronger each year.  PBR Futures may just be part of that journey.

Good luck.

To answer your question from the other thread; 

I would hold off for a year. Even if he is throwing 82, that isn't enough to make any schools interested yet. Which is the whole point of going to a showcase, to present yourself in front of schools. Nothing wrong with going but I'd be saving the money until he has something to show (85mph, 90+ exit velo, or good bat and a sub 7.0) or its kind of pointless. 

The showcases in his freshman and sophomore years aren't the end all be all for recruitment. They help the guys who are ready now, but realistically they're money makers for most until they have an attribute worth showcasing. 

To answer the question from this thread; 

Go to a PBR showcase and play for a notable travel organization with ties to PBR. Or go to multiple and try to keep getting your rank up. That is not something I would do, but if you're looking to get an invite to this specific event, that would be the way to do it. 

My grandson (2021 Sophomore) attended a PBR Showcase last October and skill tested with 95+mph Exit Velocity. They started videoing him after his first swing and posted several write-ups and a video of him on their Twitter feed. As a Sophomore the recruitment cycle really hasn’t started yet, but 4 colleges have told us he is on their follow list. If he does well at this summers showcases I expect he’ll get some additional interests from college coaches. He wants to play college ball but doesn’t want to over or under estimate what level of college play he is best suited for.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.