Skip to main content

The roster limit for D1 baseball programs is 35.
Since for example, the University of Nebraska 2019 baseball roster has 39 players listed, are 4 players red-shirting?   I thought red-shirt players count against the maximum of 35, but apparently not.
Could a D1 program have for example 50 players and then red-shirt 15 players?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There is a D1 exception that allows a school to replace players who were injured before the season started on the 35-man roster. For example, if a scholarship/counter kid had Tommy John in the fall, they could still list him on the website but he would be replaced on the official 35-man roster. I suppose they could also be listing non-scholarship guys who were officially cut but expected to make the team next year, but that seems unlikely. In any event, only 35 of the players that you see on that roster are practicing with the team.

EADA - Equity in Athletics Data Analysis

Is a good tool to understand historically how many players were considered participants for a specific year.  The information is collected in October and provided by December

E.G. in 2019 - University of Kentucky reported 43 players to Department of Education.

Here is how the defines Players:

• Participants are students who, as of the day of a varsity team’s first scheduled contest (A) Are listed by the institution on the varsity team’s roster
  • (B) Receive athletically related student aid
  • (C) Practice with the varsity team and receive coaching from one or more varsity coaches.

A student who satisfies one or more of these criteria is a participant, including a student on a team the institution designates or defines as junior varsity, freshman, or novice, or a student withheld from competition to preserve eligibility (i.e., a redshirt), or for academic, medical, or other reasons.

• Include: Fifth-year team members who have already received a bachelor’s degree.
  • A student who participates on two teams, for example, the football team and the lacrosse team, as a participant on each of the teams.
  • Male practice players who are listed on the women’s team roster as of the day of the first scheduled contest should be counted as participants on the women’s team. While the “participant” count will not differentiate between these male and female team members, you must specify in the caveat box the number of opposite sex participants. For example, if your women’s basketball team has 20 total participants, but 3 of them are male students, include 20 in the box for the number of participants and specify in the caveat box that the women’s basketball team’s participants include 17 female students and 3 male students. This is different from a coed team (see below).
  • Do not include: Individuals who joined the team after the day of the first scheduled contest.
  • If an individual participates on the junior varsity and the varsity team for the same sport, count that individual as one participant for that sport.
  • Transgender participants should be counted consistent with their gender identity. For example, a participant who identifies as male should be counted in the same way as other male participants, even if the participant’s records or identification documents indicate a different sex.
  • A scheduled scrimmage meets the definition of a team’s first scheduled contest if the score counts. If the scrimmage is played just for fun or practice and the result of the scrimmage doesn't matter in the long run, it wouldn't count.
  • Varsity team is a team that is designated or defined by its institution or an athletic association as a varsity team or primarily competes against other teams that are designated or defined by their institutions or athletic associations as varsity teams.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip2
MidAtlanticDad posted:

Incidentally, I checked Kentucky's stats last night and found that 33 players have participated this season.

Nebraska is showing the 35 getting playing time which is interesting considering the 39 rostered. I guess they know some guys will not be coming back and they're not burning a RS season. I guess they have 4 guys coming back from injury next year so I'm sure they'll have to let some guys loose. 

PABaseball posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:

Incidentally, I checked Kentucky's stats last night and found that 33 players have participated this season.

Nebraska is showing the 35 getting playing time which is interesting considering the 39 rostered. I guess they know some guys will not be coming back and they're not burning a RS season. I guess they have 4 guys coming back from injury next year so I'm sure they'll have to let some guys loose. 

I only count 34 with stats, but regardless of what the online roster says, their official NCAA roster is limited to 35. My guess: 2 of the guys listed are transfers and serving their "academic year in residence", and the other 2 are freshmen walk-ons who aren't practicing with the team.

MidAtlanticDad posted:
CollegebaseballInsights posted:

Interesting information on that site (including team expenses and revenues), but not really related to NCAA counter rules and roster size limits.

Agreed, this is more to understand certain patterns of schools

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.