Skip to main content

Starting pitcher calls out coaching to staff to the mound because of injury.  Does the new pitcher get unlimited warm up pitches or does he just get the normal 8? This is for NFHS rules

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by coach2709
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey Coach,

I can't answer for sure but I am inclined to side with you and Pabaseball.  Anything injury related is afforded necessary time, which logic would tell me would translate to more warm ups if needed.  

That said, I am having a hard time imagining a scenario where a starting P who has already been through his full pre-game and has already been pitching in a game would actually want more than 8 warm-ups to see if he is still OK to continue pitching.  Seems like it's usually one or two, maybe three, four at most.  I've never seen anything approaching 8.  Must have been an odd situation.

cabbagedad posted:

Hey Coach,

I can't answer for sure but I am inclined to side with you and Pabaseball.  Anything injury related is afforded necessary time, which logic would tell me would translate to more warm ups if needed.  

That said, I am having a hard time imagining a scenario where a starting P who has already been through his full pre-game and has already been pitching in a game would actually want more than 8 warm-ups to see if he is still OK to continue pitching.  Seems like it's usually one or two, maybe three, four at most.  I've never seen anything approaching 8.  Must have been an odd situation.

I wanted my guy coming in to get the extra warm up pitches.  My starter was cruising into the 3rd or 4th inning when all of a sudden he hits first guy, walks second guy and hits third guy.  My pitching coach goes out to talk to him and comes back saying the pitcher said he could get out of the inning.  We sent a guy from the dugout to the bullpen immediately.  Starting pitcher throws one pitch and hits another kid and motions for us to come out.  I go out and call for the guy in the bullpen.  I tell the umpire we are making a change based on injury.  My guy gets to about 5 warm ups and ump says 3 left.  I tell him because it's an injury he gets as many as he needs.  Ump said no he doesn't and I said but this guy didn't get a chance to throw in the bullpen.  He said best he knows he still gets 8 and I said what if this guy gets hurt and he shrugged his shoulders.  But through my discussion with him my guy got about 12 or 13 pitches.  Field ump came in and said he had enough because it was more than 8 so needed to start the game again

NFHS  3.1.2   

If the pitcher, because of an injury or being incapacitated, is replaced as pitcher ... if his replacement requires more warm-up throws than permitted in 6-2-2 exception, he cannot return to the game as a pitcher

EXCEPTION: The starting pitchers may warm up by using not more than eight throws, completed in one minute (timed from the first throw). When a pitcher is replaced during an inning or prior to an inning, the relief pitcher may not use more than eight throws completed in one minute (timed from the first throw). At the beginning of each subsequent inning, the pitcher may warm up by using not more than five throws, completed in one minute (timed from the third out of the previous half-inning) (3-1-2). In either case, the umpire-in-chief may authorize more throws because of an injury, ejection or inclement weather.

It is the umpire's discretion.  " the umpire-in-chief may authorize more throws because of an injury, ejection or inclement weather."   MAY being the operative word.

Now I would not say it is unlimited ... but a reasonable amount - certainly more than 8.

Also note ... that if more than 8 is necessary due to injury, the removed player is ineligible to return to the game as a pitcher under the substitution rules.

Yeah it was a weird situation.  My PC went out to talk to him after he loaded the bases on I think 6 pitches.  Then after a run scores I go out and walk towards the plate ump to tell him we are making a switch due to injury.  He acknowledges it.  I walk out to the mound to get the ball and hand to the new guy.  I go back to plate ump to tell him changes in lineup and for some reason ask for my guy to get as many as he needed.  That's when the discussion took place.  It really amazed me.

Totally understand about the rule not allowing a hurt starter coming back on the mound and that the exact wording leaves it up to the umpire.  I honestly have no complaints with that but to not know you may allow extra warm up pitches due to injury in a 2nd round playoff game is not good.  It didn't affect the game but it could have or an injury to my new pitcher.

Sadly, our AT doesn't travel to games with us.  They are only required to travel to football games.  But get this rule - we cannot have practice unless an AT is present.  But they are required to travel with our JV teams now.  So if the JV team leaves after school and the AT goes with them then how can we have practice?  Luckily we play JV on Thursday so our varsity practice is a walk through.  We practice without the AT since it's short and no contact. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.