Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wow, how can anyone older than 9 years old fall for that play?   My son's travel ball team ran it a lot when they were 10....and it worked at least half the time.   A local HS team tried it against us, with my son on 2nd base his junior year.  He stood on 2nd base laughing so hard I thought our coach may have to go out and help him.  The other team looked almost embarassed for having tried it lol.  That being said, we had several guys on our team that it would have likely worked against had they been on 2nd instead of my kid

A high school used it against our team in 2015 to put us out of the playoffs.  They tried it this year and we were prepared.  Our runner just stood there and they looked stupid.  Many consider it bush league as with all trick plays.  I think there are trick plays and cheating.   This falls into the trick play set.  I agree.  How does a college player get fooled by it?

Last edited by PitchingFan
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Wow, how can anyone older than 9 years old fall for that play?   My son's travel ball team ran it a lot when they were 10....and it worked at least half the time.   A local HS team tried it against us, with my son on 2nd base his junior year.  He stood on 2nd base laughing so hard I thought our coach may have to go out and help him.  The other team looked almost embarassed for having tried it lol.  That being said, we had several guys on our team that it would have likely worked against had they been on 2nd instead of my kid

https://www.miamiherald.com/sp...rticle154867839.html

Like this.

These are fun to read about!  My experience with it was during an end-of-season tournament in a collegiate summer league in the Northwest. Our hitter was a stud, very aggressive on the basepaths. He hit a nice line drive to right that the RF charged at full speed, then screamed out the F word, flailed his arms around and started sprinting for the outfield fence, yelling dammit, dammit, dammit. I mean he was loud. Our guy puts his head down and motors for second. When he's halfway there, eyes laser focused on second base, the RF pivots and throws a perfect strike to the SS at second base.  Our guy was out by a mile.  We were playing on a field that needed to be mowed, so the grass in the outfield was a little high.  Not crazy high but just high enough where you might lose sight of the ball so everyone realized what had happened. Our hitter looked at the RF, shook his head, and trotted off the field. When he got to the dugout everyone was quiet and just waiting. No one had any idea what to say to him.  He just put his helmet down in the rack, sat next to me, started taking his batting gloves off, stopped, looked up at me and said, in a tone of bemusement and wonder more than anger,  "The #X&*%# deked me, man. He really did."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.