Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What's also funny about this is that the school shies away from singling out any one kid or team.  Locally, the school is an athletic powerhouse but all the the banners and trophies won are stored in a closet somewhere.  Not displayed, at all.  Well meaning parents have thought of this and the school doesn't step in one way or the other.  Past teams' parents (football, basketball) have opted in.  I'd rather the kids get a baseball from the game and have their teammates sign it.  Too late for that so let's spend $200 on a ring that will likely be lost or cast aside within 6 months.  

Now if the ring came from a box of Cracker Jack, I could get my head around that.  But a Cracker Jack box with a prize in it now would probably also cost $200.

Get it. Flaunt it. Celebrate it. No one can take a state championship away. Not well meaning, lets not hurt the second place teams feelings, everyone’s a winner thinkers. 

I didn’t like to lose when I played. It sucked, it hurt and I was bitter inside. I’m better for it. Two Texas state champs in the family. One in 1954 in football. One in 1979 in Tennis. The ‘54 football team, those still alive, still have a sparkle in their eyes, when they see their still small town teammates. 

Go44dad posted:

Get it. Flaunt it. Celebrate it. No one can take a state championship away. Not well meaning, lets not hurt the second place teams feelings, everyone’s a winner thinkers. 

I didn’t like to lose when I played. It sucked, it hurt and I was bitter inside. I’m better for it. Two Texas state champs in the family. One in 1954 in football. One in 1979 in Tennis. The ‘54 football team, those still alive, still have a sparkle in their eyes, when they see their still small town teammates. 

Agreed.  Had my son's HS team won the state championship his senior year (knocked out in the state quarterfinals) the school was going to present them with a ring.  A state championship in any sport for our school is rare event and should be celebrated.  So what if the ring is stored away in 6 months.   Those that reach that achievement will never forget.  And neither will their parents.

In college son's team won the conference championship which all the players did received a ring.  Four years later he still wears it occasionally.

Our local HS has banners by sport up in the gymnasium and the year that sport won district, regional or state.

Heck yeah! I have one state championship ring. Football 3 years ago. Do I wear it often? Well, no. But I do sometimes put it on for a "dress up" occasion at school. I'm also appreciative when the coaches give myself and my assistant a medal from the state championship as well. Someday all of that will be displayed. Never had a chance to even make it to a state tournament when I was playing in high school. It's an awesome experience! 

What is crazy to me is the "championship rings" that are given out every weekend in club tournaments across the country... 

I've seen rings for HS State Championships. Nearby school recently got them and they were big.

I totally get the "not going to wear it or care after HS." But, when that indifference wears away, probably would be something fun to show your kid, when you have them, and they get interested in the sport.

So, how do you do the rings? Anyone who appeared in at least one varsity game at any point in the season gets one? That's how MLB does WS rings. One At Bat or one batter faced and you get one.

Varsity baseball? That's interesting. Obviously anyone on the roster all season, from Opening Day to the Championship game, should get one - regardless if they played every game or just warmed up the left fielder all year at the start of innings. But, what about JV players who made token appearances at some point?

If you called up a JV kid for insurance for a varsity game because you knew a varsity player was not going to be able to play, does he get a ring? How about swing players between JV and Varsity? Do they get rings? Even if they only played twice as a PR in the last inning of blowouts?

I suppose a coach, or whoever is deciding, gives them to most rather than get flack later. But, how would you handle it?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.