Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What’s his height, weight and body frame? Yours? His mothers? Where is he puberty wise? How athletic is he? We’re you athletic? His mother? Does he run properly? How is his quickness? Reaction time? As mentioned, so many variables.

The goal should constantly be to get bigger, faster, stronger and improve skills. When you feel it’s the right time and he could get faster with help find a track trainer.

At sixteen my son had training on how to run the sixty. In the previous year he had grown from 5’11” 135 to 6’ 160. At this point I figured he would be more filling out, putting on weight/muscle and getting stronger than growing. 

Last edited by RJM

Thank you all.  How great. 3 responses in a few hours.  So he is 5ft 7in; 125lbs.  Has a slight frame really.  I'm only 5ft 8in. Mom is 5ft 5in.  He is projected to get to 5ft 9-10in so pretty well into puberty.  Unfortunately got my genetics.  I played on a state championship tennis team and could of played D3.  Mom's side has a couple NFL players a gen back and sister is a NCAA champ ski racer.  The boy is very quick laterally.  Ran a 4.4 pro agility drill last month. 8ft standing long jump.  Advanced swing and hand-eye; hits w sneaky power from leg drive.  This year was an eye opener though.  Kids have gotten so big and strong compared to him.   His exit speed is 73.  throw velo around 75.  Realistically I think he will be a better fit for D3 which is maybe good as academics are the priority.  Still I would think that a high academic D3 will want him to be sub 7 to play corner OF or MIF.   Haha.  I guess I was fishing for validation that he could reach that.  Thanks everyone.  

EastCO posted:

Thank you all.  How great. 3 responses in a few hours.  So he is 5ft 7in; 125lbs.  Has a slight frame really.  I'm only 5ft 8in. Mom is 5ft 5in.  He is projected to get to 5ft 9-10in so pretty well into puberty.  Unfortunately got my genetics.  I played on a state championship tennis team and could of played D3.  Mom's side has a couple NFL players a gen back and sister is a NCAA champ ski racer.  The boy is very quick laterally.  Ran a 4.4 pro agility drill last month. 8ft standing long jump.  Advanced swing and hand-eye; hits w sneaky power from leg drive.  This year was an eye opener though.  Kids have gotten so big and strong compared to him.   His exit speed is 73.  throw velo around 75.  Realistically I think he will be a better fit for D3 which is maybe good as academics are the priority.  Still I would think that a high academic D3 will want him to be sub 7 to play corner OF or MIF.   Haha.  I guess I was fishing for validation that he could reach that.  Thanks everyone.  

A 14U with 73 mph exit velo and 75 mph throwing velo is fine. There is plenty of room for growth and no need to pidgeonhole your son to D3 ball yet. You don't know what you have until 16U or so. even then gains are made. Let him fill out a bit the next few years and see where he can go. A D3 does not require a sub 7 Corner OF/IF. 

Last edited by uncoach

Get stronger, get him into some sort of speed program, take your time, he's 14 still growing.

My son was stuck at 7.2-3 till he was 16; he continued working on speed, agility, and gaining strength, and keeping his hips aligned and loose.  Fall of his Jr year, he was then struggling to break 7.1, he then worked on finishing strong through the line, 30 days later he was 6.9, just in time for the summer recruiting season as a rising senior.  He now runs a 6.8  as a freshman in college (MIF for HA D3).

My son was maybe 5'2, 110 at 14....by the time he graduated HS he was 5'11, 160 with an exit velo of 90 and throwing 90 on the mound.  At 14 he wanted to play D1 baseball, but looking at him you'd have thought that that was the craziest idea in the world.  He kept working at the game....and finally grew.  Things worked out.   You can't control height, you do have some control over weight, both with nutrition and workouts.   As others have said, considering his size, you've got a couple years until things even start up with regard to recruiting.  Have your son control what he can up to that point....the coaches will decide if he fits their program

It is definitely possible to close that gap from 7.5 to 7.0 (or even lower) in a 3-year period.

Most 14 year olds are not actually in that great of physical condition.  They don't make a habit of working out yet.  So just trimming down and getting stronger helps.

Getting sound instruction from a running technique instructor is much more helpful than many realize, provided you're dealing with someone whose record indicates they actually know what they're talking about. 

But between 14 and 17, you'll find out whether this is something your son cares about enough to do the work.  Most don't and therefore don't see the improvement.  The good news is, that tends to clear the path for those who do.

Last edited by Midlo Dad

Focus on your home to first speed and your first to third speed. Last year, my son saw many of his private showcases throw out the the 60. Its very hard for coaches to assess a taller kid's speed vs a shorter kid's speed on the bases vs in the field. For example, I saw a 5' 8" kid beat a 6' 4" from home to first three times. In the 60, the taller kid beat him due to distance and stride length. Where do you run the 60 in baseball?

Comes down to quick twitch and the jump.  Many great NFL running backs aren't the greatest sprinters.

My kid ran his 60 last spring he was a 7.20 (5'11) then he had a growth spurt to 6'0 and ran it is 7.76  now he is getting faster and his legs are getting stronger, he is a natural runner so hopefully at the next showcase he will be better, his goal is to be under 7.

He has started Summer Ball and they have a big tournament this weekend, each team selects 3 players to participate in the homerun derby and he was selected!  sure hope he performs to his potential whether he wins or not!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.