Skip to main content

Screenshot_20190616-232436_Gallery

15u currently uses Allstar finger pad for his index finger outside of his glove. (He wraps tape around it.)

After every game caught, his index finger is swollen and needs to be iced down to remove the swelling.

Just the price to pay at that position?  Or, is it avoidable somehow? 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Screenshot_20190616-232436_Gallery
Last edited by Francis7
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Agree with CATSPOP.  My son is a year older than yours and has never had any issues with finger swelling even after catching bullpens for college pitchers.  He use mitts that have padding or extra leather behind index finger well but wears no batting glove while catching.  You may want to make an appointment with doctor to have finger x-rayed to make sure it is not broken if this a recent thing.

How old is the mitt? My kid has the pro44 for 2 seasons and he tells me it hurts his fingers as the glove is worn down. He ended up buying an all star that was heavily subsidized by his benefactor (me). Now I could be a big lollipop, but I do think catchers mitt do wear. I recall speaking to an instructor who went through the minors and he told me he used up to 2 mitts a year.

2022NYC posted:

How old is the mitt? My kid has the pro44 for 2 seasons and he tells me it hurts his fingers as the glove is worn down. He ended up buying an all star that was heavily subsidized by his benefactor (me). Now I could be a big lollipop, but I do think catchers mitt do wear. I recall speaking to an instructor who went through the minors and he told me he used up to 2 mitts a year.

His mitt is really broken in. And he does complain at times that he feels like the padding is shot. But, it's not that old. He just catches a lot. We did take one of his other allstar mitts that was around 18 months older and had the pads replaced. Even with that one, he says it doesn't feel new. But, at $400 a pop, I am not getting him a new mitt every year.

The catcher's thumb is great but more of a splint for immobilizing the joint to protect against foul tips and pitches caught on the thumb side that push the thumb back awkwardly.  There are other aftermarket products that are specific to the index finger issue.  Google Palmguard, Glovemate or baseball Palm & Finger pad and you will find several options.  That index finger issue usually extends (or originates) down at the base of the finger and into that first joint of the palm so a pad that covers that and goes up into the index finger is best.

I have found that the Palmguard glove is the most hassle-free but he has to be willing to wear what amounts to a batting glove with a built-in pad.  The other pads are effective but getting them to stay in place properly has varying degrees of difficulty.  If you really want to get cheap, I have also cut neoprene pads and glued them to old batting gloves.  He can cut the other fingers off if he wants more natural feel.

Last edited by cabbagedad

My son never did this because he hasn't had this issue but we know a guy who caught for the Miami Hurricanes a while back who used to put his index finger over in the slot where the middle finger typically goes. I think his actual setup was little+ring fingers in the little finger slot, middle finger in the ring finger slot, and index finger in the middle finger slot. I've tried it myself just playing catch with my son and it definitely would take some getting used to but I could also see it completely alleviating this issue if your son is desperate.

Last spring our number one pitcher was throwing 94+ (yes, drafted and nice slot value). 2021s index finger would swell just as you described. Tried all the protections but he hasn’t settled on one. New mitt helped, but seems a bit like a hand strength issue bending the finger back. We had one other pitcher who threw high 80s that caused more problems for swelling because more pitches we off target and caught awkwardly. You could see where the binding left imprints on the underside of the finger. On Rawlings 33 with XRD and index flap most comfortable place for index finger was outside of the flap. Occupational hazard or any other ideas? 2021 never complained—something we noticed at the dinner table after games!

A couple of thoughts.  If he's playing 80+ games per year (spring, summer, fall) plus daily bullpens, he may need a new glove every year (in particular if he's catching higher velo pitching).  Second, he should be catching it in the pocket between his thumb and index finger.  He can work on this with bare hand drills using a tennis ball.

I suggest some finger / grip specific type of exercises. With all the PPE players use growing up (my son uses a glove insert), if the hands themselves aren't conditioned they can and do get more swollen / sore than if not. Definitely agree with catching in the pocket etc and everyone's comments above. Guitar players have a spring loaded device that isolates the four fingers, using the thumb to stabilize it that literally works out each finger individually against spring tension. The old black handle with the loop of 1/8" steel that you sit there distractedly squeezing over and over...that type of thing. 

This is my first post and I am by no means an expert. I am the father of a great 16 y/o catcher and I am literally looking at this as if we were standing in a room together discussing the issue about one of our sons. Only a suggestion. maybe not the cure itself, but perhaps in conjunction with everything else above??? 

God Bless America!! I am really happy to be communicating about baseball with like minded individuals   

Scott

The pocket includes the index finger, so catching the ball in the pocket will not help. The only way to avoid your index finger is to catch the ball in your palm and of course this has at least two of the following problems: ball pops out of glove, palm of hand hurts like (....)

@Smitty28 is correct; a new glove (or reconditioned glove) every year is in order. 80+ games a year with 80's or above will wear the padding out very quickly. If he aspires to catch in college get used to the added expense required of a catcher (lots of equipment that wears out quick, smells like (...), and is quite $$$).

The finger hurts not because of being bent (someone stated it was because of poor grip strength--which is incorrect) but rather bruising because it lacks padding.

So the padding has to come from somewhere. Either add some homemade pads, buy a catching inner glove like the PalmGuard, or buy a new glove or recondition your old glove.

The other thing a full-time catcher needs is to have at least TWO gloves. The newest one should be your bullpen glove and the second one, which is the most broken in, should be your game glove. These will then rotate as needed: bullpen glove becomes game glove and former game glove either gets replaced or reconditioned.

Agree with Absorber above. Price of admission. Best to have 2 and use as described.

People have no problem dropping $700 each on multiple showcases or more on events.

2 gloves at that level and as many games, should be par for the course. Not expensive in the scheme of things  if it keeps you healthy and catching & out of pain and physical rehab, etc. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.