Skip to main content

I posted this in a recent thread having more to do with Collegiate Summer Leagues leading to draft...thought it would be a beneficial story to others going down this path in the next few years:

Incoming College Sophomore had a Temp Contract with a top league and all the Full Contract guys showed up.   Two games in two weeks, with 6 ABs.  Son knew the deal, he liked his experience, liked the true work commitment with his teammates, he liked the HC, the HC really liked him.....But, due to the commitment with Full Contract players he wasn't going to see the field much so Temp Contract lapsed.  It took him a few weeks to find a spot with a lesser league (rosters full, no injuries).  Over a 3 week period with the new team he's picked up 20 ABs (crowded line up with IF's), and I have ZERO clue why this Coach was willing to bring him on board.  It was a nice offering but the team doesn't have a true need for another IF.  When you're fine tuning a swing, you need a lot of reps to get your timing down for an actual game.

If we had to do this summer all over again I'd be stressing to son that he needed his college coach's help to find a league where he'll be a Full Contract guy with an understanding of how the summer HC will rotate his IF's.  Also, given the Temp Contract ending, I would have urged my son to stay home, rest, refine the swing nearby, work out, chill, hang with friends and re-approach with a vengeance in the Fall with a Now Clear Head and Rested Body.

The Temp Contract HC "apparently" really liked my son and assured him he'd be a Full Contract guy next summer.  So not necessarily a negative ending.  Stay tuned...

Perspective: Son is a D3 position player at a HA.  The Temp Contract was with the Coastal Plains League.  We also learned regardless if you could have played D1 at BS State U but opted for a stronger academic route which was D3, you are a D3 player not D2, not D1.  The Coaches of the summer leagues use that as a filter if they haven't seen you, or you weren't a conf player of the year type of guy.  Unless they saw that D3 player play and swing the bat against good pitching they're not likely to sign the D3 to a Full Contract. Had son hit balls consistently off the fence they may have converted him to Full.  But again, there's a commitment to the Full Contract players; their College Coaches can be a pipeline of players to that summer league - they expect their players to be playing. 

No complaints, more lessons learned... I spoke with son last night, he's brain dead and wanting to be home to rest.  He hasn't been home more than a week or so since Jan 10, 2019.

(Slightly off course from OP, apologies in advance.  BUT related to summer ball for college position players:  Careful  of #TEMP CONTRACTS ....)

Coastal Plains HC calls son yesterday asking him to come down for last two weeks.  Said he'd rotate him between  2B, SS, 3B and play every game.  

This was the Temp Contract that ended due to the Full Contract guys all showing up.

Amazing how this can work out. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Austin got into the Cape Cod League out of MIT, a Div. III university as a “temp”—a league term for fill-in walk-on who plays at the beginning of the season until the big boys from Arizona, Florida, Vanderbilt, et al arrive, and end up leading the league in homers, RBIs, finish third in slugging, and as everyone at MIT understands, finished third in Runs Created and lead the league in Isolated Power (ISOP). ...

http://www.gammonsdaily.com/pe...al-manager-from-mit/

Starting as a temp in the Cape League propelled him to be in drafted in the 8th round. 

Last edited by RJM

Gov, you probably remember the case of Austin Filiere from MIT who was a temp in the Cape Cod League, tore it up and eventually became an 8th round draft choice.

Great story.  But too bad it ended with him getting cut after  2 years in MiLB.

*ha RJM beat me at the buzzer.

Last edited by JCG
JCG posted:

Gov, you probably remember the case of Austin Filiere from MIT who was a temp in the Cape Cod League, tore it up and eventually became an 8th round draft choice.

Great story.  But too bad it ended with him getting cut after  2 years in MiLB.

*ha RJM beat me at the buzzer.

I saw Filiere play while at MIT versus Tufts a couple of games. He definitely stood out as an “it” player in a D3 game. He succeeded in the Cape League against some of the best college players in the country. Yet he was released after a couple of adequate minor league seasons.

http://www.milb.com/player/ind...r/R/hitting/2018/ALL

I watch a lot of BC ball. One kid I don’t believe has any more physical ability than Filiere is plugging away in his fourth year of minor league ball with a .200 average. The kid didn’t knock ‘em dead in the ACC either. He was a four year corner starter with a  .250 career average without power or speed.

Filiere was taken in the 8th round. This kid was taken in the 30’s. Sometimes it just doesn’t add up. I would get it if the kid was a physical gem with potential. 

Last edited by RJM

Was watching son's team last night as well as having recent conversations with him... very common this time of year for teams to start losing players and have to fill in for the last week or three, even surefire playoff bound teams.  P's use up their allotted innings, others head home for a variety of reasons.  Often, the teams will go back to those who came on under a temp contract seven weeks ago.  

Another interesting circumstance is how many players who were not getting sufficient innings with one team will jump to another, often in the same league.  The HC's talk.  They try to find homes for these kids if they aren't getting them the desired PT.  "Who's short on MIF's?"  

Last edited by cabbagedad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.