Skip to main content

Son is very interested in Johns Hopkins.  Wondering if they are like MIT and Caltech where the baseball coaches do not have influence with admissions?  

Also, we looked at their commitments on Perfect Game, and noticed that there are 12 players on the list for 2019's.  Prior years are more in line with what I would expect - 5-7.  Why might this be the case?

Anyone have any insight on the recruitment process there?  Son has great test scores, but I suspect a lot of kids with very good scores get rejected by admissions.  Wondering how this process might play out.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Going back about ten years I know Babb had pull for his top recruits. They tend to roster forty to fifty players. A player has to have a serious grasp of his ability to know if he can become a top 18-20 on the roster and get on the field. The top recruits are asked to apply  ED. 

Not the same.  HC at Hopkins does have influence to support academically qualified athletes.  JH was interested in my 2018 and stated "unequivocally he needed a minimum 32 ACT to support his application regardless of how much they liked him".  

JH carries a big roster supporting both a JV and V college baseball program.  Your son would have to be considered a top prospect with that min 32 ACT to even think he has the shot of playing on V.  (So odd to speak about JV and V for college ball).  Great school, sweet turf field, can't stray to far from the campus in the evening.... security shows up every where at dusk.

There is a member on this Board with a P at JH...she will likely pipe in.  I think her son had very strong scores as well and the JH HC encouraged her son to apply without his support, he did and was accepted.  She's quite dialed in.  The HC doesn't want to burn the leverage he may have to support 4-6 players (who have the min 32 ACT) when a 35-36 ACT player may get in on his own (maybe the HC still gives a nod to admission, no clue).

Last edited by Gov
backyardonfire posted:

Son is very interested in Johns Hopkins. ..we looked at their commitments on Perfect Game, and noticed that there are 12 players on the list for 2019's.  

Regarding D3s and commitments:   A  very mediocre player who attends a PG showcase and then gets admitted to a D3 school purely on the basis of his academics, without a prayer of ever making the baseball team:  Is that considered a commitment?

A former poster’s son attended a HA D3. His kid was one of the six the coach offered to grease through admissions ED. On the first day of fall ball there were twenty-seven walk ons for three roster spots. Every one of them were under the impression they were “preferred.” While the coach could have an unlimited roster he had a thirty-two player limit.

One of my son’s high school teammates was told by the coach at a HA D3 if he gets accepted he’s on the team. The kid was a four year backup. 

Obviously the education comes first. But if baseball is important enough learn the difference between “interest” and “love.” Don’t hear what you want to hear. Listen closely for the truth. “He will have an opportunity win a position” is not love. It’s the least any coach will tell any player. 

Last edited by RJM
Chico Escuela posted:

I don’t think Hopkins has a JV team now.  I talked with Coach Babb recently and his description of the program didn’t mention JV. (Can’t recall if I asked about JV specifically, but I was trying to explore the rumors I have heard about over-recruiting at JHU without being too direct about it.). Can anyone confirm?

The 2019 roster had forty.

Mominthestands posted:

So, what will you hear from a HA D3 or any highly ranked D3 if the coach "loves" your son?

Level doesn’t matter. Genuine interest comes early in their recruiting cycle. The coach talks more in specifics (you will have an opportunity to win the “position” job or I’m thinking of converting you to “position” versus talking in generalities about winning any position. How often they attempt to see the player. 

Nothing is cast in concrete. Players do go from the back of the roster to become starters. But they don’t get first shot. The reality of college ball is not all opportunity is created equal.

Coaches have a general idea of what they expect to occur. One of my son’s high school teammates was brought in as the third recruit at his position. It was his only D1 offer. The two earlier recruited players couldn’t play themselves off the field no matter how poorly they played. The teammate went 8-20 over two years before being told he was no longer needed on the team days before opening day junior year. His first college at bat he ripped a game tying double down the line against a ranked team. He didn’t play again for three weeks. 

While my son’s high school teammate had the best hands at his position I’ve ever seen in high school and travel the other two fit the physical mold of what the coach perceived to be a college hitter. 

Love at selective HA is: "Apply Early Decision, I have a list of XX names that goes to admissions, and you will have a slot / your name will be on the list with my highest level of support." This after a pre-read (and then, you have to ask specifically what that means in terms of your chances of getting in).

Maybe people will post more on the "Interpreting Recruiter Speak" thread.  We certainly heard various phrases during recruiting, I'd be interested to know from those who have seen it play out, what they mean.

Mominthestands posted:

So, what will you hear from a HA D3 or any highly ranked D3 if the coach "loves" your son?

Not to be glib, but something like this, before a campus visit: "Here's what we like (followed by examples)....Can you come to campus (with a specific range of dates offered), and send your scores and transcript ASAP."

At the beginning of the visit, "Well, admissions likes you.  Let's see if you like us."

Right after the visit: A call/text from the coach when the kid is at the airport, before he gets on the plane home (or some similar scenario, within an hour or two of leaving campus):  "You were my #2 guy, but after you spent time with the team, you're my #1.  I hope you feel as good about us as we do about you.  Take all the time you need to decide."

I guarantee you'll know. Still gotta earn your way on the field, but you'll know the coach believes it will happen.

(did not see anotherparent's post before I wrote mine)

Last edited by smokeminside

I'll share my 2019's experience with Hopkins last summer should it be helpful for you.

2019RHP went to HF in late July and after one of the games, the attending coach asked him his scores/grades then told him it wouldn't be enough to get in. Son had a weighted 3.5/31ACTcomp/32SS).  A week later same coach saw him at Showball where he pitched much better.  He then received an email from Coach Babb asking him to come to their camp.  Son replied he couldn't because of soccer conflict, so Coach Babb asked him for a radar gun video which he then made and sent.  After that, Coach Babb asked for his transcript to submit to admissions.  The next day Coach Babb emailed him reporting admissions said no.  This whole process didn't even take a week.

We were all appreciative and impressed with Coach Babb's honesty and thoroughness.  

My son's story thus far (he is a 2020 RHP):

Traded emails with Hopkins over a period of a year or so.  HC Babb is very good about answering emails, and my son sent his basic info, then a couple of updates during HS and travel seasons. Babb always responded promptly to say thanks for the info and encouraging Jr to make good grades.  (I wish all coaches were nearly as diligent about email.)

Son visited JHU this summer and had a good meeting with Coach Babb while he was there.  Babb described the program, answered questions, and asked my son to send updated video and his academic info.  Son sent those ASAP and received a reply email soon after saying Hopkins is interested and wants to see him this summer (son was planning to attend Showball).  A few days after Showball this past week, son got an email saying JHU remains interested and asking if he wants to continue with their "recruiting process" (which son definitely does).     

Jr is very interested in Hopkins, and this all seems to be good progress.  But where do we go from here?  They have an August camp, but we have a family vacation (going to another country, tickets already bought). 

My son is in more or less the same position with a few other HA schools.  A couple of schools suggested they want to see the boy at their fall camps.  Other than that, are we just waiting for schools to see their other candidates and then make their decisions?  Can you more experienced folks tell me what happens next--and what, if anything, my son can do to maximize his chances at this point?    

Last edited by Chico Escuela

Chico, at a point similar to yours w my 2019 we went to a few college camps but they were in September/October. Coaches said they liked him but wanted to see him one more time.  Only one coach out of five led us on.  The other camp invites had substance and led to offers. YMMV. PM me for more specifics.

Hopkins camp is good and thorough and the personal evaluation after is very clear. I know that doesn’t help you but I don’t think he invites kids in your son’s situation if he’s not truly interested. Our experience with Babb echoes the above. Still can’t figure out how he gets so many recruits with such great scores. The roster is big. I guess baseball attracts intellectuals. Cough, cough. 

Brensdad posted:

Is Hopkins a school that takes a ACT superscore? Do they care how many times you take it??

The JHU web site says they superscore ACT and SAT, and when the baseball coaches asked for my son's scores, they specified that he should send scores from all the ACTs he took (two, in his case).  So far as I know, every school allows you to take the tests as many times as you want, and to only submit the score(s) you choose.  (I assume JHU wanted all of my son's tests so they could verify what the superscore would be.)

When my son met with Coach Babb earlier this summer, he was told that they like to see at least a 33 for their baseball recruits.  They said they can make lower scores work sometimes, but a 33+ is good.  

Based on the data I have seen, a 33 is 98th percentile, while 34-36 are gradations of the 99th.  I'm really glad I applied to college over 30 years ago.

Last edited by Chico Escuela

Chico, 84-86 mph is very solid for HA D3, when you mention command, did your son walk a lot of batters at Showball? How was his offspeed pitches?

Besides Showball, has your son been seen at Headfirst or Stanford? Coaches may overlook one inconsistent performance if they saw him with better command at another event, but 84-86 would seem to be well within their desired range for RHP.

Zoom 2020 posted:

Chico, 84-86 mph is very solid for HA D3, when you mention command, did your son walk a lot of batters at Showball? How was his offspeed pitches?

Besides Showball, has your son been seen at Headfirst or Stanford? Coaches may overlook one inconsistent performance if they saw him with better command at another event, but 84-86 would seem to be well within their desired range for RHP.

I wouldn't presume to claim I can evaluate my own kid (or any potential college player, really).  Showball is it for this year for the schools on his list.  It went OK, but he wasn't at his best.  It happens; and I know coaches evaluate potential, not just a particular day's performance. 

I'm confident some school(s) looking at him now will eventually decide they want him on their team.  (But in my most paranoid moments I worry he will be at some other school's camp when those decisions are being made, so they'll look elsewhere...)  For now I'm advising him to keep pursuing any school he'd seriously consider attending.

Chico Escuela posted:

My son's story thus far (he is a 2020 RHP):

Traded emails with Hopkins over a period of a year or so.  HC Babb is very good about answering emails, and my son sent his basic info, then a couple of updates during HS and travel seasons. Babb always responded promptly to say thanks for the info and encouraging Jr to make good grades.  (I wish all coaches were nearly as diligent about email.)

Son visited JHU this summer and had a good meeting with Coach Babb while he was there.  Babb described the program, answered questions, and asked my son to send updated video and his academic info.  Son sent those ASAP and received a reply email soon after saying Hopkins is interested and wants to see him this summer (son was planning to attend Showball).  A few days after Showball this past week, son got an email saying JHU remains interested and asking if he wants to continue with their "recruiting process" (which son definitely does).     

Jr is very interested in Hopkins, and this all seems to be good progress.  But where do we go from here?  They have an August camp, but we have a family vacation (going to another country, tickets already bought). 

My son is in more or less the same position with a few other HA schools.  A couple of schools suggested they want to see the boy at their fall camps.  Other than that, are we just waiting for schools to see their other candidates and then make their decisions?  Can you more experienced folks tell me what happens next--and what, if anything, my son can do to maximize his chances at this point?    

You are right where you want to be, it is still very early for D3 lock ups. They are actively recruiting all over right now and sifting through various names. Have your son stay in touch with them and others, over the next 2 months things will sort out. My guess is by the start of school or shortly after you will know where you stand. The better the player/student combo is the more flexibility you are going to have. If your son has the grades to get into JHU and is sitting 84-86 you are going to have plenty of options come fall. 

Don't zero in on just one school right now. 

Don't cancel a family vacation, it won't be a deal breaker. IMO.

Babb seemed like a good enough guy, but there was a disconnect between him and his top assistant coach who handles the recruiting. Told one thing by Babb, something different from the AC. Son did great at their camp and got a top written evaluation by their pitching coach (evaluated as Hopkins level with potential to be All American). Did early admissions read with Babb advising scores should be good enought to get in. AC came back and said scores one point too low. Said we could still apply and they'd "support" the application, but was wishy washy about it. We decided to go elsewhere.

What if the HA D3 doesn't offer academic or merit scholarships and only need-based scholarships?

That certainly makes it much more difficult to determine.

My kid is at an HA D3 with a pretty big freshman class on the team.  He and his teammates have been able to compare notes, to a degree, in terms of who the coach called once a week when being recruited vs who got called once a month, vs who got called every other month vs who the HC only called once and the rest of the time the prospect talked to the RC.  Then there are the players who committed early decision and made it through admissions with ease vs those who had to wait.

And then as the freshman year has played out: who gets more reps in the Fall, who makes the travel squad, who gets more reps in practice even if they aren’t starting.

Of course with the latter you are a year into your eligibility before you find out where you stack up etc

“Love” at a private HA D3 = 66% academic scholarship or more.  

The top tier of HAs (which I won't try to define other than as "schools that don't think they need to try to improve their reputations or US News ranking") typically don't offer money based on academic merit--aid is need-based only.  The place to find scholarships is at the next level of HAs--great schools, but not quite the name brand of an Amherst or Swarthmore.  I know Denison, for example, offers some great academic merit awards and is an excellent school with a baseball team that has been in the Top 25 at various points this year.

When there are no merit scholarships, love is something like "I have 6 names that I can send to admissions for Early Decision with a 99% guarantee, and yours is one of them."  That is different from "I send a list to admissions and you will be on it but ultimately it is up to them, but if you get in I would love to have you on the team" which is different from "I don't have a slot for you/room on my list, but if you get in on your own you have a place on the team."

Of course, regardless of this, you have to earn playing time once you get there.

One thing I'd point out is the conversations with the various HA schools changed from "hey we like you stay in touch" to "here's our schedule, send your transcripts, can you send more video, " after he got the SAT score they needed. One RC told the travel coach who recommended my son that they try not to waste much time until they know a kid has the scores to get in.

One RC told the travel coach who recommended my son that they try not to waste much time until they know a kid has the scores to get in.

This is very true.  A lot of coaches asked my son his GPA and test scores more or less right after introducing themselves.  If you can't make their minimum numbers, then the coaches have to move on, however much they like your baseball skills.  I know some HA D3 coaches complain that they have to meet higher standard than the Ivies, who can lower admissions requirements somewhat for athletes.

@BaseballJoe posted:

Babb seemed like a good enough guy, but there was a disconnect between him and his top assistant coach who handles the recruiting. Told one thing by Babb, something different from the AC. Son did great at their camp and got a top written evaluation by their pitching coach (evaluated as Hopkins level with potential to be All American). Did early admissions read with Babb advising scores should be good enought to get in. AC came back and said scores one point too low. Said we could still apply and they'd "support" the application, but was wishy washy about it. We decided to go elsewhere.

Hey BBJoe,

Just an observation without context and timing...  "scores should be good enough" on early admissions read and then "score came back one point too low" doesn't seem so far off from plausible.

Anyway, best of luck to your boy!

Last edited by cabbagedad
@BaseballJoe posted:

BaseballJoe,

I encourage you to figure out your son's recruiting status between the AC and HC.   If this is a school at the top of his list then don't be shy and get this straightened out ASAP.

A while back, my son, wife and I sat down with a D1 HA HC and his AC in the HC's office in Williamsburg, VA.   My son was getting significantly more communication from the HC, so we used that to our advantage to request a meeting.  The AC has seen him multiple times at showcases and tourneys.  It was extremely clear from the start of the meeting the HC and AC had not communicated or compared notes much at all about my son until we all sat down for that meeting.    My son was uncomfortable listening to the HC give the AC a little bit of a tongue-lashing in front of us.  On the other hand, I had no problem with the exchange  (some popcorn would have been cool) because I knew the AC screwed up (royally) and that is why I wanted to meet with the HC.   We walked away with a 25% offer to this D1 HA state school, and many, many insights and opinions from the HC about some of the other schools that offered my son which I thought was unusual.    It was a very memorable experience.   BTW...Neither the HC or AC are currently at the school.   My son would end up at another D1 HA.

PS...We learned our lesson about dysfunctional HC and AC recruiting communication with the first D1 school that offered him prior to this incident above.   That was a sh*t show that was not going to be repeated if I could do anything about it.

My two cents...nip this communication issue now.

Just my experience and best of luck!

BaseballJoe's experience at Hopkins reminds me of one of the most important lessons I learned during my son's recruiting experience:  The process is a "black box," and a lot of stuff happens that you can't understand and will never know the reasons for.  Coaches will text your kid weekly for a couple of months, then ghost him for a while, then start texting again.  Your son will be pursued avidly by three schools in one conference, but a fourth won't even respond to his emails (even though that fourth school is less competitive in baseball and academics that some of their fellow conference members who have shown interest).  It can be frustrating (or infuriating), but you just have to roll with it.  Sounds like BaseballJoe and his son did just that--they felt like they weren't "loved" at Hopkins, so they moved on.

If your son is still interested in Hopkins, then I think fenwaysouth's advice is good.  It could be worth following up with Babb (who is great about answering emails and who I have always heard is a straight shooter). I also remember Babb saying when my son and I met with him some years ago that raising a GPA was difficult, but a player could always re-take a standardized test and potentially add a few points.

Fenwaysouth,

Thanks for sharing your story. Very interesting and it sounds very much
like what was going on at Hopkins. It boggles my mind that these coaches
can’t communicate with each other better. My son who spoke with the AC
several times said it felt like he was being less than forthright. HC sees
you at his camp and says you’re exactly the type of player they’re looking
for. Pitching coach rates you super high at same camp. But then AC hems and
haws about one point on the SAT. It left a poor impression with us which is
a big reason why we went elsewhere.

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 9:45 AM HS Baseball Web <alerts@crowdstack.com>
wrote:

How often do coaches tell a kid they should be good with admissions and then they aren’t? Seems like the coaches my son has interacted with have a good grasp on the minimums.

My son's experience was that schools asked for a pre-read before they get serious about recruiting.  Your son submits his transcript and test scores and the admissions office tells the coach whether he is likely to be admitted (or not likely, or definitely won't be).  A player who has a successful pre-read and who a coach agrees to support should be admitted as an ED applicant, assuming nothing significant changes, like the player being suspended or failing a class.  At some schools, a coach can get a small number of players admitted who aren't quite up to the usual academic standards--so if your kid is a lefty throwing 90 mph, it may be OK if his ACT is a couple of points lower than if he's a righty topping at 86.  In that case, too, the pre-read process should tell you where you stand.

It's important to ask directly whether the admissions office has given a coach a "tip" he will use for your kid.  Don't settle for just "we'd love have you as part of our program."  But if your son has a coach's support, then you can feel confident he will be accepted.  Coaches will warn you that nothing is guaranteed, but I have not heard of players being rejected after a successful pre-read and a coach's tip (and no significant change in the applicant's situation).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.