Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

RJM posted:

Excellent school. Worcester used to be one armpit of MA. It’s becoming an in place to live. It’s rapidly changing for the better. 

I was through there a few times in the early - mid '90s and it looked like a sad place.  Then, I was there in 2010 and it looked a lot better.  Things seem to be going on.   Thanks

Not an expert on their baseball program, but have had at least a dozen friends go there....Many now send their sons and daughters there.  Superb academic reputation with lots of successful (and tight knit) grads in the Northeast.  Name is a door opener in the finance industry in New York, if that is of any interest.

RipkenFanSon (2015) seriously thought about Holy Cross when he was looking to play at HA school.  Was in son's final 3-5 list. I think we went to 2 camps there and 4-5 showcases that Holy Cross had coaches attend. RC went to Navy, which may have changed final interest by school--timing, decision. Son liked the campus and that the field is on campus, right near the football stadium. Nice stadium which I think was used for minor leagues at some point. Many colleges nearby. The HC, Greg DiCenso has been there a while, and seems to have connections with the Cape at placing players. What's revolved are his assistants.  Rare recruiting class number the year before son's class... class of 20!! Son's fielding coach where he would play was a Holy Cross Grad so that he played against them almost yearly. Solid program; better players in recent years seemed to be position players. They have had some draftees in recent years. Great school to get a degree- but then again I am biased as a Jesuit educator .

Have always been a fan of Coach Dicenzo.  Great speaker and passionate about coaching.  Below is a link to a podcast interview with him done in 2015.  His dual sport collegiate career is noteworthy and reveals a lot about him, I believe.  Great listen, and if you're not familiar with Top Coach Podcasts (http://topcoachpodcast.com/ check the site out.  Dicenzo's interview is one of hundreds.

The College of Holy Cross is a special school.  Congrats to your son. 

http://topcoachpodcast.com/top...g-dicenzo-holy-cross

#1 Assistant Coach posted:

Have always been a fan of Coach Dicenzo.  Great speaker and passionate about coaching.  Below is a link to a podcast interview with him done in 2015.  His dual sport collegiate career is noteworthy and reveals a lot about him, I believe.  Great listen, and if you're not familiar with Top Coach Podcasts (http://topcoachpodcast.com/ check the site out.  Dicenzo's interview is one of hundreds.

The College of Holy Cross is a special school.  Congrats to your son. 

http://topcoachpodcast.com/top...g-dicenzo-holy-cross

Thank you.  We will enjoy this.  

LuckyCat - My boy was recruited by DiCenzo an will be there in September, COVID-willing.  

I met EK last summer and talked to him some and my boy has spent more time with him.  This 2020 class was up to campus in January about a week after D announced his move to the Indians organization.  Parents of current players have told me that the team likes EK a lot and will work hard for him.  Pitching coach, Geo Capen, is a former player there and has a good reputation. 

Indoor facilities are good as noted.  Field is used by the Futures League during summer.  The team starts the season against good teams.  Next year, they open at Univ Houston, followed by UNC Wilmington and a week in FL where they will play the Gators a few times, not sure of other opponents there.

PM if you want.

@Texas1836 posted:

LuckyCat - My boy was recruited by DiCenzo an will be there in September, COVID-willing.  

I met EK last summer and talked to him some and my boy has spent more time with him.  This 2020 class was up to campus in January about a week after D announced his move to the Indians organization.  Parents of current players have told me that the team likes EK a lot and will work hard for him.  Pitching coach, Geo Capen, is a former player there and has a good reputation. 

Indoor facilities are good as noted.  Field is used by the Futures League during summer.  The team starts the season against good teams.  Next year, they open at Univ Houston, followed by UNC Wilmington and a week in FL where they will play the Gators a few times, not sure of other opponents there.

PM if you want.

My concern is those games you mentioned will be wiped off the schedule.  PL has already announced no flights or overnights for the fall.  My guess is that will be extended for the whole year, if for nothing else, to save a few bucks.

My daughter will be a freshman on the womens hockey team this winter. Lots of moving parts looking at this academic year...fingers crossed it will have some semblance of semi normal. Here are some thoughts about HC as a whole (from her recruiting process):

We visited nearly every school in the northeast that has womens hockey and skew higher academic. BC, BU, Brown, Harvard, Dartmouth, Cornell, Princeton, & Yale (on the D1 end of things) and also Amherst, Williams, Bowdoin, Middlebury, & Colby in the NESCAC. 

Each of the schools had pros, cons, and costs. Holy Cross felt more middle of the road politically than the NESCAC schools and also the Ivies. Campus is on a hill with baseball, softball, and Football stadium at bottom of hill. All other athletics are on top of hill including a beautiful new facility with a field house and a state of the art weight room (LINK TO YOUTUBE).  The campus as a whole is very picturesque and very much a "heads up" type of school...noticed lots of kids walking around between buildings engaging others rather than head down in phone or on a mission to get from point A to point B. We are not Catholic but the school is Jesuit (like BC, Georgetown, and many others). Daughter is happy to have some faith piece available at her college and not necessarily be seen as an idiot for believing in a God. Student population is just over 3000 and roughly 20-25% of students are athletes. All sports are Division 1. It is my understanding that there are not any athletic scholarships for baseball in the Patriot League (like the Ivy League). 

Worcester, MA is the 2nd largest city in New England. Depending on traffic HC is roughly an hour or less to Logan International in Boston, Providence Airport, Hartford/Springfield Airport, & Manchester Airport. Some flights into Worcester too. 

Good luck on your process...just starting with my 2022...he has already seen a bunch of schools with his sister so that should help some. 

Worcester used to be one of the armpits of Massachusetts. Now it’s one of America’s up and coming small cities (~200K). As Greater Boston gets more and more expensive Worcester is commutable for Boston. 

Worcester ... pronounced Wuss-tah. I used to live near a town in another state called War-sess-ter.

Last edited by RJM

CTbaseballDad mentioned the flight restrictions earlier but the Holy Cross back to school email, which came out this afternoon, outlined the patriot league sport plans as follows:

The Patriot League Council of Presidents recently announced the principles on which the League will develop a Fall 2020 plan. While we are working on our plans as they relate to non-league competition, Holy Cross Athletics will follow these principles as they consider their plan for returning to Patriot League competition:

Student-athletes will return to campus at the same time as other students;
Patriot League competition will begin at the end of September, with the expectation that League play will be completed prior to Thanksgiving;
Non-League competition will not begin prior to Friday, Sept. 4;
Patriot League member institutions will confirm that non-League competitors are following comparable health and safety protocols in advance of any contest; and,
No Patriot League teams will fly to competitions and, with rare exceptions, regular-season competition will exclude overnight travel.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.