Skip to main content

My son is a 2022 and wants to work out a lot more on getting B/S/F.

Generally he does bench presses and back squats along with core work, biceps, triceps and some time on the treadmill or bike.  On days he's not lifting, he gets in BP, long toss and fielding work..

I heard in a recent podcast that back squats may not be good for baseball players.

I've found a lot of material online, but thought I would ask here for some guidance.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The squat and bench thing is imo only partially right. I think as long you are under 300 squats and bench can't really hurt you  and it is the quickest way to get stronger.

Now if you bench or squat 400+ it might make sense for a pitcher to be a little more carefull with those exercises due to the shoulder stress but as long you are under 300 just lift your butt off to get stronger, it simply doesn't make sense to do single leg bosu ball squats when your max is 170 in the squat.

Regarding the program it honestly doesn't matter all that much as long you increase your weights.

There are a lot of fancy training stuff but I actually like a classic periodization which is like first doing a bodybuilding phase were you do a couple sets of 8-12 reps for a couple weeks and then when you stop progressing you add more weight so you only make 5 or 6 reps and then you go really heavy after another couple weeks with really short sets. 

In general I recommend getting with a professional trainer to make sure the lifts are being done correctly, as well as helping to design a workout plan

Getting faster often involves learning how to run correctly, which sounds funny, but most kids could stand some improvement in their running technique

Hex Bar deadlifts have been a big part of my 16 year old son's training in the last 2 years, but only under the supervision of a trusted pro trainer.

3and2 pretty much nailed it. You gotta reach out and get help. Videos and online programs don't cut it. Personal trainer for strength. Track coach for speed. A good track coach can cut 2/10 maybe 3/10 sec off 60 time w/ added technique and a personal trainer that works w/ baseball or football will do the trick.

You can find track coaches at local colleges. Personal trainers you'll need to do a bit more homework. You need guys that do agility as it pertains to the specific sport. But a few calls to a local University football program should get you started in the right direction.

Lastly, if he's a position player and he wants play in college, he needs to hit. And he needs to hit the ball HARD. Most recruiters don't care about high school hitting stats as it pertains to batting avg or OBP. They are looking for kids that Mash. So, the right hitting coach is really important. Most kids work with a hitting coach. But you need the right one. A guy that can help your son maximize his power regardless of how big he is physically. And most importantly, helps your son with his Approach. The right approach is an aggressive one based on attacking the ball. Once again, RC's don't care about OBP. You don't want to be trying to work a walk in a showcase. Aggressive and loud. That's the approach.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.