Skip to main content

Julio posted:
SS . . . 5-10, 160 lbs just turned 16, has tools and plays lights out . . . 84 mph across the diamond, 7.2 60 yard dash . . .Will hit for ave, with a few doubles.

There are lots of shortstops with these kinds of numbers who can really play (my now-D3 son was one).  Then there are a fair number, even in his grade, who are 6'+, run a 6.6 60, and/or hit for power.  The latter are the ones being recruited by top D1s right now (Florida D1 shortstops have PG ratings of 9 or 10, 60s of 6.8 and lower, check out the 2020s).  Presumably your son will get faster and stronger; do you expect him to get taller?  I have to assume that the reason the HS coach thinks he should go to a JUCO is that he thinks your son has no shot at a D1 out of high school (given that 2021 MIFs are being recruited right now), but that after JUCO he will then have another shot at a D1.  Has he phrased it like that?  Does he tell you that this JUCO is good with that kind of training and placement?

Is D1 your son's main goal?  Is it about the money, or the baseball opportunity?  What would he do after JUCO, if D1 doesn't work out?   Would he then go to a D2, D3, etc.?  Does he want a job for which he needs an AA?  You know all of this, we don't, it could all work as long as you know what you want out of it.

No-one ever answered your question, can you ask the D1 where he stands? 

anotherparent posted:

No-one ever answered your question, can you ask the D1 where he stands? 

I think because many like yourself are still trying to determine if he is really close to committing to the JC or not.  If he backs off of that stance for a while, no need to press the D1 yet.  Let things play out for a while and continue full press on overall recruiting efforts.  If he does end up wanting to commit to the JC, then yes, it does make sense to throw it out there to the D1 prior. 

Absolutely have your son ask, but ask in a way where he isn't going to get further coach-speak.  Work with him to come up with the right words about his desire to play for this D1 school, and wanting to know where he stands on their recruiting board.  Keep it simple and polite.  You never know...he may be transferring there in a year or two if he commits to the JUCO.

I do think you are pushing the clock a little bit with the JUCO.  Recruiting is a marketplace.   The JUCO is a great starting point option, and I think you can optimize that option (aka..leverage) to see what else is available before having to commit so quickly.   You have a lot of experienced people offering the same advice, because we've been through situations like this.  

You've got plenty of time on the "shot clock", no need to dribble down and shoot immediately especially if he knows he wants to play D1 baseball.   Heck, my kid (RHP) broke my heart at least three times before finding the perfect fit.   I had the opposite issue, where my kid wanted to run out the "shot clock".  You've got time, and if your son is as good as you say he is he'll have plenty of offers.

As always, JMO.  Good luck!

Why would he ask the D1 where he stands? It was one good camp. The school already told him they like what they see and that they want to take another look at him in Jupiter. Even if that weren't the case we always make references to recruiting being like dating. The first date went well between the two, it would be really weird to ask "So what are we?" after the one good date. Just relax and let it play out. 

Also, for those telling you to look at old rosters and check out transfers, 4 year starters, etc. Don't. The Juco is going to be 100x worse in bringing kids in and making cuts, etc. It is also likely that you won't get entirely accurate information either. Grades, illness, homesickness, injuries are not reported on the school website. Take everything with a grain of salt. 

My thoughts. A top Juco is going to already be getting plenty of draft hopefuls/guys that don't want to go to a 4yr school and wait to get drafted. Then they are bringing in guys who did not get drafted where they thought who are looking to leverage themselves for the following year. Then you will get the D1 dropdowns in Dec/Jan. It's only 2 years he has to perform and prove he can play from the minute he gets there. So a few cuts and transfers at a top 50 program is no big deal when you look at how competitive and ruthless a winter season at the JUCO can be. 

baseballhs posted:

I think you also need to understand that once you announce a verbal commitment, the recruiting pretty much stops. Coaches don’t reach out anymore. At least that was our experience.  Ones that had made offers said to let them know if anything changed, beyond that nothing..  if you accept the JUCO offer plan for that to be it.

Ditto, great point...it was like my kid had laprocy. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.