Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

HS2020 posted:

I was told that the John A Logan is a Power house Juco- stacked.

was told that most if not all their pitchers have touch 90+  with a couple up to 93-94 this fall.

their whole roster/Line up has power top to bottom, going to be interesting seeing them in the Spring

It’s still early in the JuCo recruiting cycle but John Logan already has 2 of their players committed to Illinois 

CatsPop posted:

Those JUCO boys will bring it.  Son said it was some of the best pitching he faced the entire year.

Son’s 2019 JuCo team was really good. At least 6 arms were 90-93. Fourteen kids from that team signed with 4 yr schools after last season - 7 D1, 6 D2, 1 NAIA. None of the D1 signees had any D1 offers coming out of HS. 

Northland posted:

University of Minnesota played NIAC this past weekend.  NIAC is a middle of the pack D2 JUCO from northern Iowa. Might not happen again though, Minnesota lost.  
https://twitter.com/GopherBase.../1175514073502572544

The first video of the game on this twitter feed shows a UM incoming freshman throwing that was definitely recruited for his projectability as opposed to his current readiness to compete at the D1 level.  This is certainly not uncommon for these fall games.   Not likely that the D1's are going to roll out their top rotation guys, at least not for any length of time.  I don't know that you can really take anything away from the outcomes of these scrimmages.  Get some guys some work against guys in different uni's than their own.  Typically a whole lot of shuffling going on.  

Even though they're referred to as "games," and they'll usually be played in the customary 9-inning format, they don't count toward the DI's won-loss record in the upcoming regular season (Although, they do count against the total number of games allowed to be played in the regular season.). As a result, they're viewed as exhibitions; giving teams that would never play against one another in the regular season a chance to do so. Also, as has been pointed out here, it gives the JUCO players an additional opportunity to be evaluated and recruited by DI coaches.

Wins and losses don't matter. I'm sure that the coaches of both teams weren't even playing to win. Plenty of D1s do this, it's free recruiting, schools don't have to pay for hotels or travel, and the coaches often know each other. Ideally I would like to see 4 or 5 fall games. Schools can get their JC games in and a couple more against other non conference P5/D1s for their freshman to get that out of their system. 

I would love to see the matchups be something like if you are D1 you can play 2 other D1's like it is now but you can also play 3 JUCO's.  It would be beneficial to everyone.  The D1's would get playing time and the JUCO's would get their kids seen by prospective schools. 

I would disagree on the most schools don't throw their aces mindset.  As many as I have been to over the years, I've never seen a school not throw their ace unless he was hurt.  They may not fully play to win but they always throw their best.  Many schools will play 2 games or 1 game and extra innings.  The first part will be main players or returners and the second part/game will be incoming freshmen or younger players.  Many will throw returning pitchers 2 innings or set number of pitches and then incoming guys 1 inning or set number of pitches.  They want to get the both groups in a game situation.

I also think it depends on who they are playing.  Tennessee is playing Clemson this Saturday and I'm sure both programs want to win to some extent for excitement toward spring.  Son is just excited he will get 1 inning/pitches and 1 at bat. 

Northland posted:

University of Minnesota played NIAC this past weekend.  NIAC is a middle of the pack D2 JUCO from northern Iowa. Might not happen again though, Minnesota lost.  
https://twitter.com/GopherBase.../1175514073502572544

Iowa plays NIACC tomorrow. We’ll see how that goes! Last year and this all the fall games are against Iowa jucos and one against a group of Canadian all stars who seem to be  recent HS grads. 

Rick at Informed Athlete posted:

For background info, prior to last year any Fall games or scrimmages that a Division I team played against an outside opponent had to count against the 56-game limit (with an exception for one game against a "foreign opponent" - often the Canadian team mentioned above).  

The current rule permits two games in the Fall that don't count against the 56-game Spring limit.  

Rick, thanks very much for the clarification and, in my case, the correction.

Rick at Informed Athlete posted:

For background info, prior to last year any Fall games or scrimmages that a Division I team played against an outside opponent had to count against the 56-game limit (with an exception for one game against a "foreign opponent" - often the Canadian team mentioned above).  

The current rule permits two games in the Fall that don't count against the 56-game Spring limit.  

I wondered if there had been a change.  In the fall of 2012 my son was freshman at a D2 JuCo.   Late in their fall season they had couple of "games" at a D1 university, but officially it was listed as a "12 inning scrimmage".   In reality they played two 9 inning games.

adbono posted:
HS2020 posted:

was told that most if not all their pitchers have touch 90+  with a couple up to 93-94 this fall.

their whole roster/Line up has power top to bottom, going to be interesting seeing them in the Spring

It’s still early in the JuCo recruiting cycle but John Logan already has 2 of their players committed to Illinois 

Now 5 D1 commits for John Logan 

adbono posted:
adbono posted:
HS2020 posted:

Now 5 D1 commits for John Logan 

Now 7 D1 commits for John Logan 

What you are also seeing a lot more now is P5 or D1 schools in general allowing Juco's to use their field in the fall for practices and scrimmages.  They get to play on nicer fields and stadiums and the D1's get to see prospects and interact with them in their facility.  I know UT got a couple this fall on one of these days.

Juco softball team played a D1 yesterday and the D1 was losing.  Their 7-9 batters were up in bottom on 6th and they put their 3,4, and 5 batters up.  The coach said we always do free substitutions in fall games.  They argued free subs are not moving players in lineup.  They scored 2 runs to go up and called game due to time limit.  D1's don't like to lose to JUCO's in any sport. 

Last edited by PitchingFan

We played NIACC Friday (after a rain out a week ago). I was curious to see them after they beat Minnesota, but I realized two things during the  14 inning game.

First, as baseballHS says above, it was a chance for each team to see and show off what they have. NIACC players got to play in front of the state's only D1 baseball program, which is good for them and for Iowa's coaches who are probably looking for next year's transfers.

Second, though, for us, it was the chance for something like 14 pitchers to show what they can do, including a lot of freshman or transfer students. Four guys got two innings for us, everybody else one, regardless of how well anyone did. So while it was good for coaches to see what they can put on the field, if the priority is seeing everyone, winning isn't.

The game was actually tied through the eighth before Iowa went on a scoring binge and ended up winning 10-1. Probably means NIACC was also giving its new pitchers an opportunity in later innings.

I'm curious what might have happened if the outcome had ever been in serious question.

Not buying the when the D1 school decides to play to win that is what will happen idea.... my opinion is this......The to 25 jucos in the country are a very consistent group of schools that are supplying D1s with talent year after year.  The top 10 jucos in the country are supplying double digit levels of players to D1s every year.  For those jucos  the talent difference between them and a D1 program in the 40-75 range is minimal.  Once you get outside of the perennial top 50 D1 programs everyone else is some version of mediocre (yearly results have fairly large up/down swings) with a talent level not discernibly different from a perennial top 10 juco. ...again when someone sees a top quality juco program hang right with a D1 baseball team even one that has consistent success they should not be surprised...the same thing would happen in the spring...

A friend’s son played for the Grayson College 1999 and 2000 NJCAA champions. Everyone getting playing time was drafted or moved on the D1. Two years later almost everyone getting playing time on those teams was in the minors. Six players made the majors. Tim Tadlock, now head coach at Texas Tech was the head coach. I’m thinking most college hitters would have had trouble hitting future MLBer John Lackey. 

LaunchAngle posted:

Not buying the when the D1 school decides to play to win that is what will happen idea.... my opinion is this......The to 25 jucos in the country are a very consistent group of schools that are supplying D1s with talent year after year.  The top 10 jucos in the country are supplying double digit levels of players to D1s every year.  For those jucos  the talent difference between them and a D1 program in the 40-75 range is minimal.  Once you get outside of the perennial top 50 D1 programs everyone else is some version of mediocre (yearly results have fairly large up/down swings) with a talent level not discernibly different from a perennial top 10 juco. ...again when someone sees a top quality juco program hang right with a D1 baseball team even one that has consistent success they should not be surprised...the same thing would happen in the spring...

The JUCO our HS team played every year is a top 10 juco. We are a very good hs team but if the goal was winning on either side, we wouldn’t beat them multiple times. It’s about seeing players. At least in fall. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.