Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This would create a bigger roster problem. Any junior drafted in round 10+ would strongly consider going back to school knowing it will be completely free. More juniors will return for senior year putting the school in another difficult roster situation with incoming freshman - which is the original point of the proposal. 

I would also ask if it relates to eligibility (4/5th) year or academic status. And then always the tough one - who is paying for this?

PABaseball posted:

This would create a bigger roster problem. Any junior drafted in round 10+ would strongly consider going back to school knowing it will be completely free. More juniors will return for senior year putting the school in another difficult roster situation with incoming freshman - which is the original point of the proposal. 

I would also ask if it relates to eligibility (4/5th) year or academic status. And then always the tough one - who is paying for this?

Not sure that would create a backup of Jrs. When pro ball comes knocking, you gotta take that opportunity. You may not get it again as a Sr. 

PABaseball posted:

Yes I don't disagree, but the junior picked in the 29th round will be more likely to come back to school knowing that his scholarship will actually increase to make it free instead of signing for 45k and having to pay for his final year of school if baseball doesn't work out

Most pro contracts, from what I understand, include the College Scholarship Plan for drafted players. So if they opt to sign after Jr year, the team that signs them will end up footing the bill to complete their college education, should they choose to. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.