Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

IEBSBL posted:

I have a player that drops his hands to the bottom of his rib cage when he hits.  Everything he does looks really good, but when he goes to hit his hands drop straight down to the bottom of his rib cage and he ends up tying himself up.  Any help would be great.

Maybe start with the hands lowered? That may get him into his launch position quicker. 

First of all is there really a problem? Some start really low but get to a good position. As long the hand gets to about chest to shoulder high that is ok.

If there is a problem and his low hands cause him to be under high strikes because the hands are lower than the top of the zone first use a a classic cue and move his hands to a better position. General rule is the hands must at least be a couple inches higher than the top of the zone. If he doesn't repeat that do the high tee drill. Hit balls of a tee really high like chest high or so (so that it wouldn't he a strike) and try to hit relatively low liners. That way he has to get the hands to a good position and attack the ball from behind.

High tee may be useful here but may or may not translate to a pitched ball where timing cues come into play.  I think, similarly, constraint drill may help but may have some of the same limitations.  You may also want to incorporate a simple two part swing drill with a stop after part 1.  Load. stop. swing.  This can be done first with tee, then front toss (and maybe then with a one bounce front toss).  The hands go back to proper load position and then fire without the drop.  This becomes ingrained, aided further by inclusion of the timing element with the front toss.  If hands still go back to a lower position, this can be addressed and corrected clearly at the stop.

Bob, Eric Davis was able to make it work but he was a true freak.  I know that there were several before him that also managed to be successful with low hands at some point in the swing process but most got them back up to a more proper position in time before firing.  Doesn't sound like that is the case with the OP's hitter.

Last edited by cabbagedad

I will add something that seems too simple to even be considered but I have seen it work more often then not. Set up tee for high strike and tell him to swing like he is trying to hit the ball 400+. If it helps, tell him to incorporate it in to his drill work every time he is hitting. Hard to drop the hands that low if you are swinging like you want to destroy the ball.

Dominik85 posted:

First of all is there really a problem? Some start really low but get to a good position. As long the hand gets to about chest to shoulder high that is ok.

If there is a problem and his low hands cause him to be under high strikes because the hands are lower than the top of the zone first use a a classic cue and move his hands to a better position. General rule is the hands must at least be a couple inches higher than the top of the zone. If he doesn't repeat that do the high tee drill. Hit balls of a tee really high like chest high or so (so that it wouldn't he a strike) and try to hit relatively low liners. That way he has to get the hands to a good position and attack the ball from behind.

It truly is a problem.  He loads his hands now and they never come back up.  He ties himself up a lot.

IEBSBL posted:
Dominik85 posted:

It truly is a problem.  He loads his hands now and they never come back up.  He ties himself up a lot.

Video?

hshuler posted:
IEBSBL posted:
Dominik85 posted:

Video?

Let me see if I can blur out his face.  As it is not my son, and its a minor at a public school I need to be careful due to liability.

IEBSBL posted:
hshuler posted:
IEBSBL posted:
Dominik85 posted:

Video?

Let me see if I can blur out his face.  As it is not my son, and its a minor at a public school I need to be careful due to liability.

Understood!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.