Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This isn't going to be as good as what you will get from other posters with first hand knowledge but I can tell you my son LOVED the Wooster coaches.  He met them at headfirst.   They have an excellent baseball program, seems to be ranked every year in D3.   Not important - love the mascot- Fighting Scots!  Others will give the real scoop.

Pettorini is Retired, this was his last year. Currently Craddock is interim and is expected to named Head coach. Craddock was very successful, when he was named Coach at Denison. He turned Denison to from a team consistently in the lower half of the west division, to maybe the strongest team in the west. Wooster has always been one of, if not the top school in the NCAC baseball wise. 

The NCAC just recently went from 2 Divisions East and West, to a round robin schedule. In the past the East, which Wooster played in was quite a bit weaker than the West. Wooster would pretty much steamroll through the east and get to the NCAC tournament. They would usually win it, however it was tougher.

Now with a round robin it will be interesting to see how things work out. Round robin came up several times in the past and Wooster always fought it tooth and nail. 

Under Pettorini it was run as a very old school program. Players either loved him or really disliked him. Their roster size is typical for an NCAC school. Bigger than some conferences but not as big as most OAC schools. There recruiting classes are not especially large, usually 7-10, up to 12 or 15 depending on the year. 

The school is great if you are  hitter. Their field is a launching pad. The wind is gong out. Looking at HR splits. They are always much higher at home. Pitchers should not work the Bottom of the Zone in Wooster. They will just feast on it. (Just ask my Son) For Pitchers it can be a much harder place. The field is very nice. The outfield is all turf. 

Academically Wooster is very good. They are not Ivy good or even the best academics in the NCAC. However they regularly appear in Colleges that change lives. Many of the NCAC schools are back ups for students that did not get into Ivies. Especially Kenyon and Oberlin. 

https://ctcl.org/college-of-wooster/

There acceptance rate is just under 60% so it is not hard to get into and Early action is probably good enough. There is  no need for early decision. 

Be aware My son attended Ohio Wesleyan. OWU and Wooster are fierce rivals. Although Wooster has consistently, had the better of that rivalry, lately. Pleas let me know if you have additional questions or there are other schools you are interested in the area. (Possibly OWU. )

Thanks, this confirms something I already believed. 

Of all the NCAC schools Ohio Wesleyan does the best job of getting players in the better Summer leagues. 

At 9/5, they have the most players in the the Summer Leagues. Five of those in the top leagues. (note:None in Cape)

Some of that may have nothing to do with the coaches connections and may be results of the Players having interest in Summer Baseball. At other NCAC schools there may be a higher focus by the players on Interning in the field they intend to pursue after Graduation. 

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

Thanks, this confirms something I already believed. 

Of all the NCAC schools Ohio Wesleyan does the best job of getting players in the better Summer leagues. 

At 9/5, they have the most players in the the Summer Leagues. Five of those in the top leagues. (note:None in Cape)

Some of that may have nothing to do with the coaches connections and may be results of the Players having interest in Summer Baseball. At other NCAC schools there may be a higher focus by the players on Interning in the field they intend to pursue after Graduation. 

No problem.

Please note, some of the information was a point in time snapshot. I've been able to reconcile most of D3 transfer Insights, should be loaded in November. 

No problem, Historically from my own research, I see more Ohio Wesleyan kids on Summer Rosters than I do other NCAC schools. Wabash used to be quite good, at placing athletes, when Cory Stevens was coach. 

This is not to say the other coaches are not good, nor am I trying to disparage any of the other coaches in the NCAC. It was just something very important to my son, when he played. He wanted to play in the highest level Summer league that would take him. 

Coach Mott was very good at helping him out in that respect. It seems he has gotten better. 

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

No problem, Historically from my own research, I see more Ohio Wesleyan kids on Summer Rosters than I do other NCAC schools. Wabash used to be quite good, at placing athletes, when Cory Stevens was coach. 

This is not to say the other coaches are not good, nor am I trying to disparage any of the other coaches in the NCAC. It was just something very important to my son, when he played. He wanted to play in the highest level Summer league that would take him. 

Coach Mott was very good at helping him out in that respect. It seems he has gotten better. 

I agree.  I don't know if many parents include the Collegiate Summer Placement in their school evaluation process.  In 2019, I was able to collect info for ~48 Collegiate Summer Leagues. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.