Skip to main content

I think the challenge with getting D1 attention is that even though his velocity is ticking up, he is not a proven competitor in high school or club baseball. There is a LOT that goes into pitching other than bullpen velocity. You may get lucky with a referral from the pitching coach, but I would also  find some off-season show cases to widen the net: PBR and Perfect Game (Ft. Myers show case in December?). Some colleges hold on-campus prospect camps in the winter (during the quiet period) so you may want to check that out as well. Best of luck!

collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:

The safest route in my opinion is to do a PG year and make a plan to get as much exposure during that extra year. I think you’ve heard varying versions of this.

Not sure if son will want to do a PG year, but could anyone tell me what an ideal PG year looks like?  If he decides that is his best option,I want to help him make the most of it. 

Pats2020 posted:

The safest route in my opinion is to do a PG year and make a plan to get as much exposure during that extra year. I think you’ve heard varying versions of this.

Not sure if son will want to do a PG year, but could anyone tell me what an ideal PG year looks like?  If he decides that is his best option,I want to help him make the most of it. 

The PG year is more about buying time  (reclassifying as a ‘21) than the baseball he plays at that school. He will want to have offers before the PG season starts.  Buying time makes this coming spring high school season and next summer playing on the right travel team that can help sell him and attending the right individual showcases relevant.  

Personally, I still believe D1 would be a long shot. As someone mentioned velocity increase isn’t linear. His recent increase may be where he gets due to improved mechanics. I believe it’s a big mistake for marginal D1 prospects to become obsessed with playing D1. They usually end up sitting and transferring rather than playing. 

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:
Pats2020 posted:

The PG year is more about buying time  (reclassifying as a ‘21) than the baseball he plays at that school. He will want to have offers before the PG season starts.  Buying time makes this coming spring high school season and next summer playing on the right travel team that can help sell him and attending the right individual showcases relevant.  

Personally, I still believe D1 would be a long shot. As someone mentioned velocity increase isn’t linear. His recent increase may be where he gets due to improved mechanics. I believe it’s a big mistake for marginal D1 prospects to become obsessed with playing D1. They usually end up sitting and transferring rather than playing. 

So a PG year is just reclassifying as a 2021 and playing another year of high school?

A PG year is graduating from high school and spending a lot of money (20K to 40K) to attend a private school for one year.

Personally I believe it’s a waste of money for those who are academically ready for college. The kids I know who went PG needed a more rigorous academic challenge than they got in high school. Or they were proven D1 prospects who were holding off a year without starting the NCAA clock.

Last edited by RJM

Here are some schools that as of a few days ago were still looking for 2020 RHPs. Your son may want to reach out to them. Good luck! 

Pfeiffer University
Misenheimer, North Carolina

Immaculata University
Immaculata, Pennsylvania

Lawrence University
Appleton, Wisconsin

Mid-Atlantic Christian University
Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Chatham University
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Kalamazoo College
Kalamazoo, Michigan

Hope College
Holland, Michigan

Adrian College
Adrian, Michigan

Wisconsin Lutheran College
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

@Gunner Mack Jr in another thread posted this 

”I've been following Patrick Reilly because my son plays in the same organization but not on NJ team.  Saw this news on twitter this am too.  To put some color around what Midatlanticdad says;   

Oct 2018 top FB 88, range 84-88

July 2019 top FB 90, range 85-90

October 2019 top FB 96, range 91-96

“Amazing that you can go from top FB 90 to FB range 91-96 in 3-4 months.  That's crazy.  All these stats just pulled from PG site.    Northeastern lost a great player to Vandy.” 

Reilly was in the 2020 class. Perhaps Northeastern has a opening for a 2020 pitcher.

Rocky Alvarez posted:

Here are some schools that as of a few days ago were still looking for 2020 RHPs. Your son may want to reach out to them. Good luck! 

Pfeiffer University
Misenheimer, North Carolina

Immaculata University
Immaculata, Pennsylvania

Lawrence University
Appleton, Wisconsin

Mid-Atlantic Christian University
Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Chatham University
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Kalamazoo College
Kalamazoo, Michigan

Hope College
Holland, Michigan

Adrian College
Adrian, Michigan

Wisconsin Lutheran College
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Curious, where do you pull this info?

Kind of surprised that no one has mentioned flatground...?

There is an a twitter account called @FlatgroundApp Pats2020. Check it out and it cant hurt to consider posting son's info on there with all the measurables you have. Upload some decent video  of him throwing a bullpen and then post the rhapsodo info. 

Good luck...am sure that it feels a little overwhelming but cant do much about it now but have son get stronger, faster, bigger and then get in front of some people that can help him. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.