Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

PABaseball posted:

How do the Juco divisions work? Are they broken up by school size, quality of the program, funding, etc? I know all the local Jcs play each other regardless of division during the regular season with mixed results. How does a D3 JC do with a D1 typically? 

I will chime in to get the conversation started, others will provide more detail for a productive back and forth.

Point 1 - there are 3 JUCO Organizations

D1D2D3Total
NJCAANational Junior College Athletic Association24 Regions17413195400
CCCAACalifornia Community College Athletic Association11 conferencen/an/an/a88
NWACNorthwest Athletic Conference4 conferencesn/an/an/a28

Here are some links to the NJCAA framework:

http://stats.njcaa.org/member_...es/college-directory

http://stats.njcaa.org/member_...Divisional_Structure

http://stats.njcaa.org/member_...ion_of_NJCAA_Regions

Note, Region 19 which covers NJ, DE and Eastern PA, consisting of D2 and D3 schools only, but like you know Gloucester, Cumberland, Mercer, Lackawanna, brookdale and many others field very competitive teams. 

2018 Region 19 Division 2 funding

image[12)

2018 Region 19 Division 3 funding

image[13)

2018 Region 8 (Florida) d1 funding

image[14)

2018 Region 8 (Florida) d2 funding - note, ASA Miami is a satellite of ASA Brooklyn, thus their financials are included in the Brooklyn budget

image[18)

2018 Region 14 (Eastern Texas and Southwest Louisana) funding

image[15)

2018 Region 12 (d2)

image[16)

2018 Region 12 (d3)

image[17)

Attachments

Images (7)
  • image(12)
  • image(13)
  • image(14)
  • image(15)
  • image(16)
  • image(17)
  • image(18)

D1 JuCos can offer full scholarships. If they are fully funded they have 24 to give. Many are not fully funded. D2 JuCos can offer only books, tuition & fees. Not sure on max # of scholarships but many D2s are also not fully funded. D3 JuCos offer no athletic scholarships. California JuCos also offer no athletic scholarships. Not sure about Northwest but I suspect they don’t offer athletic scholarships either. Many D1 & D2 JuCos have on campus housing. The level of play varies more by region of the country than by division of JuCo. In Texas there are D1 & D3 JuCos. In Oklahoma there are D1 & D2 JuCos. All 3 levels often don’t exist in the same state. Texas D1 JuCos can beat anyone, including solid 4 year D1 schools. Contrary to many opinions I see on this board, JuCos in Texas aren’t populated with kids that don’t have good enough grades to go to 4 year state schools. In Texas it’s an issue of supply and demand. There are more good players in Texas than there are roster spots at 4 year schools in Texas. As a result many players in Texas that have good grades and are good enough to play anywhere make a first stop at a JuCo. In Oklahoma the D2 JuCos are every bit as good as the D1 JuCos and a some of the D2s have much better facilities. You can’t paint JuCo Baseball with a broad brush. The regional differences are huge but they mostly mirror 4 year school regional differences. The majority of the better programs are in warm weather states. I was talking to a Tampa Rays scout recently and he told me that he advises every kid in Texas that isn’t draft ready to go JuCo so they will play as FR & SOPHS instead of sitting on the bench at a 4 year school. IMO JuCo is the perfect bridge from HS to a 4 year school for MOST HS baseball players. 

adbono posted:

D1 JuCos can offer full scholarships. If they are fully funded they have 24 to give. Many are not fully funded. D2 JuCos can offer only books, tuition & fees. Not sure on max # of scholarships but many D2s are also not fully funded. D3 JuCos offer no athletic scholarships. California JuCos also offer no athletic scholarships. Not sure about Northwest but I suspect they don’t offer athletic scholarships either. Many D1 & D2 JuCos have on campus housing. The level of play varies more by region of the country than by division of JuCo. In Texas there are D1 & D3 JuCos. In Oklahoma there are D1 & D2 JuCos. All 3 levels often don’t exist in the same state. Texas D1 JuCos can beat anyone, including solid 4 year D1 schools. Contrary to many opinions I see on this board, JuCos in Texas aren’t populated with kids that don’t have good enough grades to go to 4 year state schools. In Texas it’s an issue of supply and demand. There are more good players in Texas than there are roster spots at 4 year schools in Texas. As a result many players in Texas that have good grades and are good enough to play anywhere make a first stop at a JuCo. In Oklahoma the D2 JuCos are every bit as good as the D1 JuCos and a some of the D2s have much better facilities. You can’t paint JuCo Baseball with a broad brush. The regional differences are huge but they mostly mirror 4 year school regional differences. The majority of the better programs are in warm weather states. I was talking to a Tampa Rays scout recently and he told me that he advises every kid in Texas that isn’t draft ready to go JuCo so they will play as FR & SOPHS instead of sitting on the bench at a 4 year school. IMO JuCo is the perfect bridge from HS to a 4 year school for MOST HS baseball players. 

Attached is some insights supporting adbono

San Jacinto 2019 Distribution by State (Where players come from)

San Jacinto 2019 Distribution by State

2019 Distribution by Position

San Jacinto 2019 Distribution by Position

San Jacinto Alumni on 4yr rosters for 2019

Disclaimer: Still reconciling information

San Jacinto 2019 Players on 4 yr Rosters

San Jacinto 2019 MLB Draft

San Jacinto 2019 MLB Draft

Attachments

Images (4)
  • San Jacinto 2019 Distribution by State
  • San Jacinto 2019 Distribution by Position
  • San Jacinto 2019 Players on 4 yr Rosters
  • San Jacinto 2019 MLB Draft
MidAtlanticDad posted:

Just to add a detail to @adbono's post since he mentioned campus housing. NJCAA D1 programs can provide a housing allowance in the baseball scholarship, so you can get a full scholarship even at a school that doesn't offer on-campus housing. Again, many are not fully funded, so that doesn't mean every D1 school will do that.

A couple of years ago there is a D1 school in Maryland that had interesting system.  Off campus apartments (paid by  parents) , once registered then a player could get in-district price, which is different that in-state and out-of-state.

Their field is very nice.

Here are some financials that make you scratch your head.

2018 Region 20 Conference Comparison

image[12)

2017 Region 20 Conference Comparison

image[13)

Comments appreciated.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • image(12)
  • image(13)
CollegebaseballInsights posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:

Just to add a detail to @adbono's post since he mentioned campus housing. NJCAA D1 programs can provide a housing allowance in the baseball scholarship, so you can get a full scholarship even at a school that doesn't offer on-campus housing. Again, many are not fully funded, so that doesn't mean every D1 school will do that.

Comments appreciated.

Chesapeake definitely messed up when submitting their housing information to the Net Price Calculator people. That $3,600 is probably just an estimate for meals (they don't offer a meal plan).
And, I think your Tuition In-State numbers are for 12 credits of in-state tuition, but not in-county. Tuition for county residents is more than 1/3 less than in-state, which makes tuition very affordable to out-of-state students for the school that you mentioned above. I don't know if they do that for all sports, but they do for baseball.

adbono posted:

D1 JuCos can offer full scholarships. If they are fully funded they have 24 to give. Many are not fully funded. D2 JuCos can offer only books, tuition & fees. Not sure on max # of scholarships but many D2s are also not fully funded. D3 JuCos offer no athletic scholarships.

I will add on caveat.   D1/D2 JuCo's can offer scholarships, but check with your state first.   Virginia, for example, does not allow D1/D2 JuCo's to offer athletic scholarships even though by NJCAA rules they can.

FoxDad posted:
adbono posted:

D1 JuCos can offer full scholarships. If they are fully funded they have 24 to give. Many are not fully funded. D2 JuCos can offer only books, tuition & fees. Not sure on max # of scholarships but many D2s are also not fully funded. D3 JuCos offer no athletic scholarships.

I will add on caveat.   D1/D2 JuCo's can offer scholarships, but check with your state first.   Virginia, for example, does not allow D1/D2 JuCo's to offer athletic scholarships even though by NJCAA rules they can.

Excellent add. I had no idea. 

MidAtlanticDad posted:
CollegebaseballInsights posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:

Comments appreciated.

Chesapeake definitely messed up when submitting their housing information to the Net Price Calculator people. That $3,600 is probably just an estimate for meals (they don't offer a meal plan).
And, I think your Tuition In-State numbers are for 12 credits of in-state tuition, but not in-county. Tuition for county residents is more than 1/3 less than in-state, which makes tuition very affordable to out-of-state students for the school that you mentioned above. I don't know if they do that for all sports, but they do for baseball.

You are correct.  College Navigator has the in-district, in-state and out-of-state.  I haven't focused much on the educational aspects, the in-district will be available Q2 2020.

FoxDad posted:
adbono posted:

Understood.  Currently there are only 3 D2 programs in VA

Bryant & Stratton College-Virginia Beach
Patrick Henry Community College
Paul D Camp Community College  (1st year 2019)

2018 Conference Comparison

image[14)

2017 Conference Comparison

image[15)

Attachments

Images (2)
  • image(14)
  • image(15)

NWAC JUCOs can give athletic scholarships, but that varies slightly between Oregon and Washington JUCO schools as to how much.  The NWAC JUCO schools also include other forms of financial aid in the "scholarship package", which can include merit aid and work-study aid, so in many cases you can go to college almost for free.  NWAC JUCO athletes can be incredibly strong athletes due to the low number of D1 schools in the area.  Don't underestimate the NWAC and NW baseball players......there have been several solid guys come out of the area.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.