Skip to main content

Anyone know why there are so many college prospect camps the weekend of January 17th and 18th? My son has talked to 6 or so different schools the last week and they have invited him to their next prospect camp and they are all that same weekend. My son is already doing a camp that weekend with the school that got to him first, so we keep having to tell the other schools we are already booked. But was just curious why they are all doing them that same weekend.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

ARCEKU21 posted:

Anyone know why there are so many college prospect camps the weekend of January 17th and 18th? My son has talked to 6 or so different schools the last week and they have invited him to their next prospect camp and they are all that same weekend. My son is already doing a camp that weekend with the school that got to him first, so we keep having to tell the other schools we are already booked. But was just curious why they are all doing them that same weekend.

Not sure if its relevant in your situation, but we had some camps overlap that were within driving distance of each other so we told one camp we could attend the first day and the other camp, we said we could only attend the second day.  It worked out fine.  If the schools are really interested and you feel like its a good opportunity to be seen, it's an option.

baseballhs posted:
ARCEKU21 posted:

Not sure if its relevant in your situation, but we had some camps overlap that were within driving distance of each other so we told one camp we could attend the first day and the other camp, we said we could only attend the second day.  It worked out fine.  If the schools are really interested and you feel like its a good opportunity to be seen, it's an option.

Yea, that is a good great idea and wish they were close by. Unfortunately there are all pretty much in different states. 

Are there any camps that people HERE attended that was around this time of the year in the past and was excellent? My favorite baseball player (my kid) is a 2022 who is is a catcher/other with solid measurables but lives in MN. Not much going on for prospect camps within a 6 hour drive from here but might consider heading east or south for the right camp/opportunity.

Ideally there would be a camp that had a handful of different programs represented (even better if there were schools that skewed to HA). 

Feel free to post schools that held good camps or PM me if you want to recommend something. So thankful for this forum!

Personally I'm being cautious about this period of time. My son is a 2021 RHP, and has taken last 2 months off to rest his arm, focus on general strength/athleticism training, and academics/test prep.  Assuming it's going to take a few months to get him back up to full speed and strength, so not sure how attending a camp this early in the year where he wont be anywhere near peak makes ROI sense. 

Wechson posted:

Personally I'm being cautious about this period of time. My son is a 2021 RHP, and has taken last 2 months off to rest his arm, focus on general strength/athleticism training, and academics/test prep.  Assuming it's going to take a few months to get him back up to full speed and strength, so not sure how attending a camp this early in the year where he wont be anywhere near peak makes ROI sense. 

It doesn't unless you've been throwing. I don't really know why pitchers would be throwing now, but I could understand why a position player would be interested. 

Wechson posted:

Agree on this. I have seen a hand full of schools who are doing showcase camps the last weekend of the year. I got to imagine that its position player heavy with very few pitchers. 

PABaseball posted:
Wechson posted:

It doesn't unless you've been throwing. I don't really know why pitchers would be throwing now, but I could understand why a position player would be interested. 

When does HS Season start where you live?  Here in Texas, we will be playing the exibition games the 1st week of February.  Pitchers and position players are starting to ramp up now and I would expect pitchers to be ready to go in the latter part of January as they will be having final tryouts for HS team placement.  

22and25 posted:
PABaseball posted:

When does HS Season start where you live?  Here in Texas, we will be playing the exibition games the 1st week of February.  Pitchers and position players are starting to ramp up now and I would expect pitchers to be ready to go in the latter part of January as they will be having final tryouts for HS team placement.  

First week of March are tryouts. First game is first week of April. Either way there are still plenty of camps and showcases around that time that fill up with pitchers. 

22and25 posted:
PABaseball posted:
Wechson posted:

Yup, Texas UIL first day of baseball is Jan 31st! We were out hitting yesterday at our organizations facility and some of the high school pitchers were coming back and starting their throwing programs. 

We are eating/lifting/eating/lifting and have been for a couple months. Just starting throwing program after a 10 week break and also did not hit at that time (that was hard for son who LOVES to hit and wants to hit nearly every day). 

Expect to be ready to rock by mid Jan all things throwing but ready to hit/run/field before then. Hence the request for showcase/camp opportunities that make sense for our situation. 

Neither my 2020 or 2022 was ready to be seen on a mound until late Feb (our HS season starts about 4/1). Which means the college camps are done. As a rising junior my 2020 moved up his time frame last year and attending 2 camps the first 2 weeks of Feb.

My 2022 was invited to a few camps in late December or January. He declined, coaches seemed to understand the reasoning.

used2lurk posted:

We are eating/lifting/eating/lifting and have been for a couple months. Just starting throwing program after a 10 week break and also did not hit at that time (that was hard for son who LOVES to hit and wants to hit nearly every day). 

Expect to be ready to rock by mid Jan all things throwing but ready to hit/run/field before then. Hence the request for showcase/camp opportunities that make sense for our situation. 

If I am not mistaken, January and February are quiet periods on the recruiting calendar for D1 schools. D1 schools are not permitted to do off campus evaluations during this time. I am guessing why there are so many schools have camps in January.

ARCEKU21 posted:
used2lurk posted:

If I am not mistaken, January and February are quiet periods on the recruiting calendar for D1 schools. D1 schools are not permitted to do off campus evaluations during this time. I am guessing why there are so many schools have camps in January.

Correct, but most D11s are starting their games mid Feb so they aren't going past that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.