Skip to main content

Chico Escuela posted:
Dirtbag30 posted:

Thought a little dated, I found this NYT article on the "unpredictable" and "mystifying" world of HA D3 recruiting to be very interesting, as Haverford College gave them behind the scenes access to the process.  Also, Haverford's baseball coach is still there.

Results Can Be Jarring as Recruiting Carousel Stops

That's a good article (I had seen it somewhere before--maybe on this site?).  But most of the students profiled have SAT scores that would be below the current 25th percentile at the schools discussed.  Granted, scores were almost certainly lower in 2006, but I have to wonder if the author failed to mention that the athletes he is discussing were warned that they were at some risk of not getting in?  

My son is supposed to get word on his ED application tomorrow, so maybe I'm whistling past the graveyard...  

I noticed that too. Most of the examples in the article had SATs that seemed on the low side. And, being riddled with anxiety, I began to feel some comfort for my son ... before remembering the rejection pool contains plenty with higher scores, as well.  

Any port in a storm!!

CTbballDad posted:

Just don’t torture yourself by going on to the College Confidential forums and hitting refresh every 30 seconds to see if others got their notice.  

Nah, I never did that...

I really like all the posts on there that fit this profile: "Perfect ACT/ 4.0 UW/ 5 W ... rejected!!!"

That site is for massochists only!!  Errrr ... so I hear.

That NYT article from 2006 was a great read and still applies today, maybe even more so with admissions to selective colleges arguably being much more competitive now.

Which makes me wonder why more HA schools don't issue likely letters to their recruits because that would significantly reduce a lot of anxiety and uncertainty in the process. These schools should have all the information they need (transcripts, test scores, coach ranking) during the pre-read process to decide whether to grant a likely letter or not, and even if they want to first see the fully completed application with essays, they still have time to issue a likely letter after the EA/ED submission.

Although the schools might want to see how their non-athlete EA/ED applicant pool looks like for comparison, they know they need to fill X% of their class with recruited athletes to fill their teams so comparing the athlete pool to the non-athlete pool doesn't seem that useful anyway. Would love to hear what others on board think about why all HA schools don't give likely letters if they care about maximizing their recruiting classes and reducing the randomness of the process for both sides, the college and the student athlete.

My son did get a likely letter.  It was nice as a way to reduce anxiety, I guess.  But the letter came a couple of weeks after the ED deadline, so it couldn't serve as any kind of inducement to choose the school he applied to.  The most I can say is that instead of only waiting a full six weeks to get a decision, my son got some encouragement two weeks after the ED deadline, and then had to wait for a decision.  It was good to get the letter--but it would have been a lot nicer to get it a few weeks before the ED deadline.   

I'm wondering now if I have been too confident (although it meant I slept better).  But my assumption was always that if an athlete applying to a HA D3 was in the top quartile for grades and test scores, he would be accepted if he had a coach's tip (unless something weird happened).  I know these schools turn down many kids with great grades and scores; but I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the athletic preference would be decisive for those who are otherwise well-qualified.

Chico, with your son's likely letter, he's in. You have nothing to worry about as long as he doesn't get arrested, kicked out of school, gets a bunch of D's on his report card 1st semester, or posts something obviously inappropriate on social media. 

The timing of likely letter after ED deadline may just be related to when he submitted his complete application. The Ivy's issue their likely letters only after the full application has been submitted, if everything is received by admissions early, then likely letter can be issued anytime after October 1.

In any case, the likely letter is an offer of admission contingent on the things mentioned. I think the main reason schools only call it "likely" is because they want to say they have one official date for notification of all students, but the purpose of the likely letter for athletes is to let them know they are accepted so they can let other coaches know their recruiting is done.

K9 posted:

My son also got his notification this morning.  He asked if he had to keep going to high school.

Congratulations!  He does have to graduate; and, depending on the school, his grades may have to be in some particular range.  Not a bad idea to ask what that range is - most schools want no Fs or Ds on final transcripts, for example, or they say "no significant drop from the grades you had when you were accepted," which could mean whatever they want.  Make sure your son knows what the requirements are, and that he meets them!  It will be hard with his senior season of baseball in the spring.

Jr. got his acceptance today!  Although my knucklehead teenage son is playing it very cool, I assume has the good sense to be pleased and excited. 

Thanks to the HSBaseballWeb community for much advice, commiseration and information over the past couple of years, including via PMs from a number of folks on this thread.  The process was long and often strange, but my son is going to a school with terrific academics and a strong D3 baseball program.  He ended up at his first-choice school, and I think it will be a good fit for him.    

Chico Escuela posted:

Jr. got his acceptance today!  Although my knucklehead teenage son is playing it very cool, I assume has the good sense to be pleased and excited. 

Thanks to the HSBaseballWeb community for much advice, commiseration and information over the past couple of years, including via PMs from a number of folks on this thread.  The process was long and often strange, but my son is going to a school with terrific academics and a strong D3 baseball program.  He ended up at his first-choice school, and I think it will be a good fit for him.    

Great news!  Congratulations!!  I'm sure its a relief.

RJM posted:

Playing it cool? Did he give you a big “uh huh” or “whatever?”

Regardless, congratulations!

He returned my fist bump.  And he did come show me the acceptance when he pulled it up on his phone.  So by the standards of a HS boy dealing with his parents, I guess he was over the moon...    (I do think he expected to get in, especially since he got a likely letter, so there is that.) 

Chico Escuela posted:
RJM posted:

He returned my fist bump.  And he did come show me the acceptance when he pulled it up on his phone.  So by the standards of a HS boy dealing with his parents, I guess he was over the moon...    (I do think he expected to get in, especially since he got a likely letter, so there is that.) 

Congrats to you and your son Chico on that HA acceptance! Is it at a school close enough to where you live so you can catch some games next year?

Ripken Fan posted:
Chico Escuela posted:
RJM posted:

Congrats to you and your son Chico on that HA acceptance! Is it at a school close enough to where you live so you can catch some games next year?

Thanks!  Too far to see every game, but the occasional weekend ought to be possible.

Son just got official acceptance for UChicago. He had likely letter so not too stressful waiting but it’s great knowing he’s now a Maroon!

Congrats to all, hopefully we’ll get a chance to watch our boys play in World Series of whatever division down the road.

Gotta buy winter clothes now, will be a climate change shock from California!

Zoom 2020 posted:

Son just got official acceptance for UChicago. He had likely letter so not too stressful waiting but it’s great knowing he’s now a Maroon!

Congrats to all, hopefully we’ll get a chance to watch our boys play in World Series of whatever division down the road.

Congrats!  Big get!  Lots of youths are impervious to the cold. My eldest is a California boy in Chicago right now.  He doesn't own gloves and won't wear his hat because he says it messes up his hair.

Zoom 2020 posted:

Congrats! We have a member w a son there now. I’m sure they’ll reach out 

Zoom 2020 posted:

That's a life (and wardrobe) changing place. Congratulations!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.