Skip to main content

So son has been using wood since oct.  Fresh practices have started.  He is going to be using a Louisville meta prime (that we got at a huge discount).  When should he start using the bat he is going to be using in games?  The reason I am asking is he tried switching from wood to his demarini yesterday when the team started using cage balls (versus real) and it through off his swing due to being lighter.  He used a brand new Demarini last year from Jan through sept and when his instructor started taking measurements he realized the Demarini was dead (demarini = 33" Instructor had him hit with a 34" wood bat (that was ian happs actual bat) and he had a better ev with that then the demarini.  So basically I want this new bat to last as long as possible. (tired of spending money on bats)

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would get him a wood bat that's the same length & weight as the current Meta. During his own individual BP, use that wood 1/2 the time then switch to the Meta for the second half. Use the Meta for any live pitching BP and during the team batting practices. The wood will help him with his swing mechanics and take some of the wear & tear off the Meta.

To go another step further, you could get a second Meta that would be reserved for games only and use the existing Meta during BP and team practices.....it would be good to have a 2nd Meta (if possible) as you never know regarding cracks, lost, stolen and you will be confident that the gamer is not over used and losing performance.

Last edited by fly996
LousyLefty posted:

I would agree about using wood part of the time. If you really want to have a second bat, how about a LS Prime in the same length weight? You could go with a used one. Son has a Meta and can switch between Meta, Prime and even Solo without much of an adjustment. He feels they swing similarly but can feel the difference on contact.  

Thanks, great idea.  His wood bat is the same length 33”. But slightly heavier.

game7 posted:
Dadof3 posted:
 he realized the Demarini was dead 

I'm skeptical that BBCOR bats can lose their life.  Their thick walls  ensure that they're dead when you buy them. 

But if a batter believes it's dead, and can afford to buy a new one, then why not. 

My son has a number of friends who use BBCOR bats that are several years old...I suppose they may go dead at some point but they seem to last a long time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.