Skip to main content

A friend was telling me her nephew was recruited to play D1 but  his first semester hasn't gone well academically and he won't be allowed to play. She thought he might be able to transfer and play somewhere else.

Is there a magic GPA that has to be maintained during college in order to play? Does it differ for D1,D2,D3 and JUCO? Hoping I never run into that problem with my kid!!!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son nearly became ineligible due to Dad’s eligibility rules. He was getting 25% athletic and 50% academic. The academic required a 3.0 each year. The first semester he got a 2.7. I told him either get a 3.3 the second semester or his options will be to pay for college himself or come home and attend the local JuCo. He got a 3.5 the second semester. 3.5 became the bar.

baseball mom2020 posted:

A friend was telling me her nephew was recruited to play D1 but  his first semester hasn't gone well academically and he won't be allowed to play. She thought he might be able to transfer and play somewhere else.

Is there a magic GPA that has to be maintained during college in order to play? Does it differ for D1,D2,D3 and JUCO? Hoping I never run into that problem with my kid!!!

If you are pulling below  2.0 GPA in your first term in college, you need to reassess a lot of things, baseball among them.

Many players will take summer classes in order to allow themselves to take a lighter load (but still maintain FT student status) during their sport's season too...not just for GPA, although I imagine the trend is that GPA's go down during the term your sport is in-season. 

If a player recognizes a very challenging class he should take it pass/fail in summer school at a JuCo. But he should make sure passing will be accepted by his college. My daughter did this with a couple of lower level classes with labs so they wouldn’t interfere with softball during college.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.