Skip to main content

As promised, here’s my attempt to offer some actual solutions that may fuel the discussion for a fifth-year program for the Class of 2021.

Click link to read the new blog👇

https://jruddscout.com/we-shou...high-school-seniors/

--

Josh Rudd

INDEPENDENT COLLEGE BASEBALL SCOUT

FLATGROUND CONTENT PROVIDER

www.JRuddScout.com

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can appreciate anyone willing to try to make some of these things happen, but there's the inescapable question of whether or the not the juice is worth the squeeze.  While we can agree the actual numbers of returning 5th year high school seniors would be small/manageable from school to school, it immediately removes the ever-critical strength-in-numbers tool from the approach.  As far as I know, allowing something like this would be unprecedented.  That makes it inherently a very large hurdle.  Not impossible, but extremely difficult to clear such a hurdle with very little push behind it.  That's not nay-saying; that's just logic and reason.  Something that is not impossible is not necessarily probable.  And probability of success factors into all smart approaches to any challenge.  We can acknowledge that something ISN'T pointless and still speak to it's probability of success and inject reason into the discussion.  Those 2 things aren't mutually exclusive.  They don't exist in a vacuum. 

While there likely are large numbers of families (collectively) desperate for an extra year of eligibility, they're not united, concentrated or consolidated.  Nor can or should they be due to geography and the fact that each has to operate under completely different state, local and even district governing bodies.

Let me be very clear.  My perspective is limited (live in Nebraska).  But I'll share it in hopes of explaining my opinions deeper.  NE is clearly handcuffed by small population and is not a hotbed of baseball talent nor do we have tons of college programs.  My son committed to a JUCO back in July but due to Covid, I've been extremely worried that many of his friends and peers in the area would get shut out from a shot at playing college ball.  But none of my fears have come to pass.  And the commitments are still coming in.  I have been absolutely shocked (and super happy) to see all those who have received and accepted offers around here.  In fact, many of my son's friends have signed LOI's that I wouldn't consider college-caliber players PRE-Covid.  Think about that.  Many of us were expecting the 2021 carnage to be upfront and drastic, but it hasn't been that at all.  It will almost certainly come later and be spread out over the next 1-3 years.  But my point is this.  All the best and solid/average players around here found homes.  MANY of the sub-average ones have as well and continue to do so.  So think about what that largely leaves behind for the push.  Below average/marginal/fringe-type players.  How many of those types of players (and their parents) are willing to put in the substantial (which is absolutely what it'll take) efforts that it'd take to press their state, local and district governing bodies for high school eligibility relief?  Those who were most worried about the situation and passionate to begin with, found homes!  I'd hope everyone would agree that at a bare minimum, the passion behind any approach would need to be through the roof.  If the uncommitted 2021s could unionize at a national level as one collective faction, then I could see relief becoming more probable.  But these homeless 2021s are heavily divided and completely disorganized.  What's worse, time to accomplish this behemoth-sized feat is incredibly short.

Presumably, some people out there will be inspired and energized by Josh's blog entry.  Presumably, some will try.  More power and godspeed to any and all that do try.  Please circle back here and share your results.

@22and25 posted:

As a society we have devalued the ability to overcome with the well intentioned impulse to accommodate, and its making entire generations of our kids soft and weak minded.  Let's just create more safe spaces with comfort puppies and coloring books, that's what kids need to prepare to compete with the world.....

IMG_7021

I don't get your point.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_7021

Everyone is a beautiful snowflake, it is true

The thing is, once our beautiful snowflakes go out in the world, the sun will melt them in a second.  

Those that learn at a young age to adapt, overcome, and elevate through adversity have a stunning extra ability to compete against a bunch of snowflakes.

This kind of thing is what our Great Grandfathers did without thought, picking themselves up when they fell.  Strangely, this very basic human reaction to tough times makes one “elite” among the bubble wrapped ethos of today.

@22and25 posted:

As a society we have devalued the ability to overcome with the well intentioned impulse to accommodate, and its making entire generations of our kids soft and weak minded.  Let's just create more safe spaces with comfort puppies and coloring books, that's what kids need to prepare to compete with the world.....

The great thing is if you raise your kid to overcome obstacles they’re way ahead of many others on the life scale.

Back in 7th grade I told one of my kids if they didn’t like the grade go talk to the teacher. I wasn’t doing it for them. I knew 7th grade grades don’t matter anyway except for chest pounding.

One of the best lines my son ever came up with was in regards to a mother known for doing her son’s projects. I asked my son how he did on a certain project. He told me he had the second best score to Mrs. Smith.

Teachers aren’t dumb. They can tell when an adult did the project. it’s why during recruiting I would tell my son what his email to a coach should include. But he had to write it.

Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.