Skip to main content

This question may have already been asked but, I recently went to a smaller D1 school tryout/showcase and the head coach told me that he wouldn't take a MIF who couldn't run less than a 7 sec 60 yd time. I was wondering if this is a pretty standard time for all D1 schools or is the average time for a D1 MIF faster/slower?
"Some people wish it would happen, Some people dream it could happen, Others make it happen." ~Michael Jordan
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have seen lots of D1 players with 60s more than 7 seconds, for what it is worth, including outfielders in the PAC 10. In fact, one outfield at Arizona -- who is a very good player -- ran a 7.3 or 7.4 at Team One after his junior season in high school. I doubt he has gotten faster. Stanford has at least one player coming in who at best will be a 7.5.

But, then, maybe it depends on who is doing the timing and how.
My belief is this approach varies from coach to coach and program to program for middle infielders. Can tell you my son and one of his teammates attended a Reds predraft workout. The friend, an outfielder and very very good player started the day by running a 7.4 60. That was the end of his day. The scouts didn't even bother to watch him hit, throw or field. Overall, there are places where some absolutes will exist and others where they don't in my experience.
From what I know, many D1's generally insist on 7.0 or less for middle infielders and center fielders. They like to see all their athletes break 7.0. However, from what I have been told, if you can pitch/catch or hit for power, then they may look the other way with respect to speed. There are always exceptions to every rule.
What coaches want and what they have can be two different things. The better your hitting ability the less important your 60 time. Some kids are just great players they just are not burners. Every coach wants these kids. The 60 is a measureing device. It is not the end all to be all. If you are wanting to play the mif and cf at a high level program your 60 time will be important as far as the scouting process. But I have seen kids that were 7.3 that could play the heck out of cf because they could get a temendous jump on the ball etc. If it was all about speed we would go to the track team and put gloves on them. As far as catchers I look for quickness behind the plate. Some kids might not be fast but they are quick and athletic behind the plate. The bottom line is if you can fly your hitting is not a total premium. And if you can not run fast you better be able to hit. And if you can hit you are going to be in the line up somewhere. As far as mlb scouts it depends on your posistion. If you go to a tryout and you are a mif you better break 7.0. And if your a first baseman and you run a 7.5 but you flat out mash that 7.5 aint going to scare them away.
quote:
Originally posted by TARatko:
Similarly, there are many players who run the bases much better than their 60 time would suggest - that also is a function of explosiveness and quickness. Too often these things are overlooked. Frown

My older son is that way. You can measure his 60 time with an sun dial. But he seldom gets caught stealing because he always takes a very agressive lead and can read the pitchers pretty well.
Last edited by BigWI
I agree with the other posts. My son is an OF who doesn't have a very good 60 time. However, he's the starting CF of our HS team. Probably will have to move to LF or RF in college. There was a school or two who I think was turned off by his 60 time, but the one's who know how he can play were not. It made NO difference. I think as the other posts said, it depends on the other factors/abilities as to how the 60 time is viewed. As TR always says, if you can hit you will play.
I have wondered about the benchmark of sub 7.0 seconds for awhile, and quite honestly has made me question the validity of the times taken by the baseball folks.

1. For instance a first round draft choice out of high school in 2003 was said to have run a 6.3 60 yrd dash. Thats unbelievably fast. Well...in this weeks Sports Illustrated, on page 32 I quote, "Johnie Drake, a senior at Central Michigan University, RAN THE FATEST TIME IN THE COUNTRY in the 60-meters in 6.56 seconds.....".

This isn't an exact science but that translates into ABOUT 6.15 seconds in the 60 yard dash.

Keep in mind..great sprinters pick up speed after 60 yrds.

2. In November, Ed Santa had one of his showcases at Eastern Mich Univ. There were at least 80 young men in the position players time "showcasing" their abilities. From what I saw there were 2 for sure and possibly a 3rd guy who ran sub 7.0 60 yrd dash. The fastest time was 6.5, however they ran this kid twice more, and his times 2nd and 3rd run times wers 6.8 and 7.0.

From the Kids that were there that day a good time was 7.2 and 7.3. There were alot of 7.5 and above and a couple of 7.0 and 7.1. If I had to guess, IMO the average time was 7.3 approx.

So....when you here these times of under 7.0, for me at least, I have to see it to believe it.
quote:
Keep in mind..great sprinters pick up speed after 60 yrds

I understand that most 100 meter sprinters reach peak speed around the halfway point or just past. Incredibly, the 100 is an endurance race. He who LOSES speed the least near the end wins, sometimes not the runner who reaches the fastest peak speed.

I was at a D-1 tryout camp and there were a fair number of sub-7s. Maybe 5% of the runners. Camp included HS fresh and sophs too.
micdsguy....your correct and also incorrect when you state "I understand that most 100 meter sprinters reach peak speed around the halfway point or just past." Two different styles of sprinters A. those that explode out of the blocks and reach top speed at 50 to 60 meters. Then try and hold on. B those with good starts that start flying after 56-60 yards. Classic matchups like boxing, puncher -vs- boxer, Ali -vs- Foreman.

As far as when you went to the D-1 tryout, and I went that showcase...all I can tell you is what I saw. By the way, the kid who ran the "6.5" is supposedly signed by Stanford in Nov., and had the pro scouts that were there writing in their notepads and looking at each other eyes like saucers. The pro scouts are the ones, I think, who had him rerun the 60
Hacker,

The players name was Whitlow, I'm guessing...

As for sub 7 60's, I can tell you for a fact that there were 15-20 kids at the PG national last June who were 6.8 or lower. Probably 45-50 of them were 7.0 or better.

Not to mention Justin Upton's 6.23 time. All of these are laser timed...no human error. Granted it was indoors on turf...

Point is...speed like this exsists, it often depends where you are in the country and who's holding the watch to find it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.