receiving awards keep checking our web site as we receive confirmation on
award winners, www.pitchandhitclub.org

Things which go on at the dinner:

* Cocktail party
* Former and current MLB players and coaches signing autographs
* Silent auction
* Team mascots in attendance
* Nancy Faust playing music during the cocktail party

Proceeds will go to our scholarship program.

Other award winners who have confirmed:

MC--Tom Shaer

Humanitarian of the Year--Bob Watson

Bill Veeck Lifetime Achievement award--John McDonough

Minor League Executive of the Year--John Dittrich Ft. Worth Cats

Nick Kamzic Scout of the Year--Dan Durst Chicago White Sox

Professional Independent Player of the Year--Marcus Nettles

Junior College Coach of the Year--Dan Kusinski

High School Coach of the Year--Bill Seiple and Phil Lawler

Presenters

Bruce Levine
Dave Kaplan
Bill Gleason
Herm Schneider

Music during cocktails Nancy Faust
Music during awards presentation George Bliss
National Anthem Wayne Messmer

Special Guests: Maury Wills
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Scholarship Award -- Seth Blair, Very impressive portfolio submitted by Seth.

White Sox Executive of the Year -- Roger Bossard

MLB GM of the Year -- Ned Colletti

Sportscaster of the Year -- Peggy Kusinski

Patriot Award -- Bryan Anderson

Sports Writer of the Year -- Barry Rozner

Come Back Player of the Year -- Brian Stewart (Just an absolute amazing story)

Amateur Coach of the Year -- Mike Hall
Last edited by jarthur
How bout it Slidepiece. Kuskinski does a great job, but to beat out Ruzich? No way. The guy took his team to the D1 Juco World Series, an incredible feat, he assembled a talented team and coached his rear off as usual. On top of that he helped a ton of his players get scholarships to 4 year schools as well. One of the most well respected Junior College coaches in the country. This was actually his 2nd trip to the world series, went once before, early 90s I believe. Met him years ago taking my kid to his winter camps, he made it fun, and was very knowledgeable, helped my kid a ton with his catching (Ruzich was a former catcher in the White Sox system).

And Bowden, a wonderful prospect. we all know that. But to beat out Eric Lis? When was the last time a local kid (Richard HS and U of Evansville) led the Midwest League (the only local professional league) in hitting? This might be a first, he had an incredible offensive season all around, (his 2nd in a row). And then he does not win the local player award? Compare his numbers to Bowden's, both good years, but pretty clear who won. Hope all these kids do well and fulfill their dreams, and Bowden will certainly win his share of accolades in the future, but this just doesn't seam credible. Oh well, will let all of you decide for yourself.

What ever happened to the best man winning? Lots of nepotism in that Pitch N Hit Club. Wonder how many other awards are "questionable". This once proud club has really fell apart the last 10 years. No wonder it is losing all the professional members. Hijacked by a small click of self promoters with an agenda to take care of one another. Shameful people.
Um, I don't know Slidepiece at all actually. So not true. Hopefully he will post again. Because we share a similar belief on a public forum we are conspiring? Sorry this does not fit perfectly into your little world of self promotion.

Why emailing me Jarthur? We don't know each other. Why not say what you need to say publicly? Feel guilty? It's a public forum, you use it to promote the club (multi replies to your OWN post), yet nobody else can have an opinion? Feel free to explain why Slidepiece or I are wrong rather then try to immediately discredit others. Just my opinion, I am entitled. And you have done nothing to change my opinion either. As a former Chicago minor leaguer player and former Pitch N Hit club member at least I speak from experience.
Joe,
It took you all of two posts to lose your credibility on this site.

For one you know nothing of the process that is involved in selecting "winners" for the dinner. Among things that I heard in the meetings of which I attended and voted (this is not just specific to this winner but others)...he has received the award 3 times in the last 5 years, he will not show up to accept the award, he has other obligations at that time, they have a school/pro event that weekend. These are among several issues that come up when dealing with selecting winners for awards. There is no debate that Steve R. had a great year that deserved awards; I don’t think anyone here will debate you on that.
Calling jarthur a self-promoter is like saying Mother Teresa hated people, nothing could be further from the truth. One of the reasons that he keeps "self-promoting" this event on his OWN forum is because some people like to be informed as of updates on who will attend the event.

In the future when presenting yourself to large group of people you don't know (ONLY 2 posts)I would suggest that you stay away from saying blatantly disrespectful things such as: What ever happened to the best man winning?

Lots of nepotism in that Pitch N Hit Club. Wonder how many other awards are "questionable". This once proud club has really fell apart the last 10 years. No wonder it is losing all the professional members. Hijacked by a small click of self promoters with an agenda to take care of one another. Shameful people

Please try and attend the event as it will be a celebration of great baseball people no matter who the winners are. Come up and introduce yourself to me and jarthur, we will be "self-promoting" ourselves wherever the most people are.

Justin Stringer
HSBASEBALLWEB SPONSOR
Fair enough. No problem. No need for private email. You advertise here, so ask here, state it here (Kusinski, Ruzich or other? Bowden, Lis or other?), be glad to reply back to you here. All is fine, appreciate your response. Its ok if you disagree with the results just like Slidepiece and I. Loyalty to the club is great, but being honorable and honest is better, shows integrity, its respectable. You're entitled. Some other skewed stuff too, but you do a good job remaining vague, its convenient, smart actually. Would do the same if I was in your shoes, allowing others to know your votes could be awfully revealing and possibly embarrassing, Points made, opinions stated, and as you said so well, life.
Joe & Jarthur, would it be possible for you to reveal what the heck is going on. Who exactly are you and what is your relationship to the Pitch and Hit Club. Some of us younger folk aren't really familiar with the club. It appears that you both know each other and have some sort of a relationship with strong opinions on this organization. It would be helpful if we knew a little more background here.
If you are going to discuss on the forum and not privately why not quit the vague skirting of what you really want to say, respectfully of course.
I don't agree with Justins approach but at least he presents clear ideas and stays away from the vague generalities that leave us wondering what the heck is going on.
Last edited by Ibach
Joe,
One of the great things about the club is that when your sitting voting you must raise your hand to vote so everyone in the room can see. It becomes very difficult in voting when you have to deal with comeback awards, courage awards, and dedication. I know and respect everyone’s opinion in that room and I don't think that opening up the voting to websters who have no validity in their opinions would be a good way to get more accurate winners.

Ibach,
Jarthur is one of the board members of the club. One of his responsibilities as board member is to promote the club via media/internet to interested people. As for shoeless Joe, I have no idea. It looks like AZ as home but he has very strong opinions on IL topics.

How about it Joe, want to shead even the smallest light on your background?

Justin Stringer
HSBASEBALLWEB SPONSOR
Last edited by LTBB47
I've had the good fortune to have attended two of the Pitch 'n Hit dinners a few years back. I also have several friends who are voting members. The work that the organization does to promote the people who are often behind the scenes and don't get any recognition is highly commendable. The dinner is a great time. Even for someone who doesn't know everyone who attends as members, it's great seeing people who have devoted their lives to the better good of the game, rekindling old friendships! The food is usually outstanding, but the swapping of stories is the highlight of the dinner. Who voted for whom and any other "backstories" don't necessarily relate to the average fan of the game and of this great annual event! Congratulations to all who are nominated or even considered as a winner! I'm looking forward to attending with my nine year old and introducing him to some of the folks sometimes considered forgotten, but who are a great contributor to the game. Congratulations to Pete Caliendo and the board on putting on a great event!
Bill Downing
President
Fox Valley Sports Academy
This organization is good for high school baseball. Also JArthur is instrumental in the Schaumburg Flyers Classic and high school baseball. I don't understand why people criticize this. For those that do criticize I know you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. However, most of us feel as though the Pitch and Hit Club and JArthur do a lot for the area and should be applauded for their efforts.
quote:
Originally posted by CoachIU26:
This organization is good for high school baseball.

Yes and that's well known even in my neck of the woods. One would wonder why someone in Arizona is getting so upset with the event. Think I have some detective work ahead of me.

Awards are simply that. Great for the winner but the person that doesn't win really doesn't lose the value of their achievement. In 2005 I won some coaching awards. Nice! However, if asked I'd tell anyone that I did a better job last year only winning 24 instead of the year we won 28. Didn't get any awards last year. Awards are like that!

To all, calling someone out as to identity, agenda, etc. keep in mind that this type of action only perpetuates further hostitlity. Joe Jackson, an inauspicious start to be sure. For my $$$ jarthur has always presented himself as a oustanding member and I personally know from pms etc. that he has the best intentions when it comes to this organization. JMHO!

OH -- REGARDING PMS, THEY SERVE A PURPOSE CONDUCIVE TO GOOD MANNERS ON THIS SITE. I'VE OFTEN USED PMS TO TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS THAT SHOULDN'T BE PUBLIC BUT IS NECESSARY FOR THE CONTINUED SUCCESS OF THE SITE. GREAT TOOL TO USE AND PERHAPS THE BEST WAY FOR SOME OF THIS DIRTY LAUNDRY TO GET AIRED!

((NOW IF I CAN ONLY FIND ALL OF THOSE AWARDS. I KNOW THEY ARE AROUND HERE SOMEWHERE.))
i just think this great not only honoring well deserving baseball people in the chicagoland area but also the great people who are serving our country. how people can make negative comments regarding the award winners is beyond understanding. if you have never been to this dinner i suggest attending just to pay tribute to a great american like bryan anderson who i don't know at all but from the esquire magazine and the last link posted above.
i copied this in case some of you who were not there but like to make comments........

Roland Hemond, White Sox executive advisor to the GM, serves as the Honorary
Chairman of the Board for the Pitch and Hit Club. (Tom Hood/AP)

CHICAGO -- Watching the 2005 White Sox race to their first World Series title in almost 90 years and following the Detroit Tigers' rise as AL champions last year was certainly inspiring.
But it was the stories of heroic life-changing moments, with baseball as the vehicle, which produced the truly moving and awe-inspiring situations at Sunday's 61st Annual Pitch and Hit Club Awards Evening at the Stephens Convention Center, located just minutes from O'Hare Airport.

"What an inspirational night," said White Sox executive advisor to the general manager Roland Hemond, who serves as the Honorary Chairman of the
Board for the Pitch and Hit Club. "It's one I'll never forget."

"It was a special night, with a couple of great stories, and I'm really glad I was here," added Cubs general manager Jim Hendry. "Anyone who doesn't
appreciate what this organization does is missing something."

The Pitch and Hit Club was formed by a group of Major League players and scouts in January, 1942 -- according to the program for Sunday's event -- and was formed to develop a fellowship among Chicago baseball professionals and to promote goodwill toward the game. All of the close to 1,000 people in
attendance could appreciate the club's mission after the evening's six hours of festivities, which included an autograph session, dinner, 24 awards
presented in a little more than two hours and Maury Wills as the special guest speaker.

There were plenty of well-deserved baseball honors handed out. Dan Durst of the White Sox received the Nick Kamzic Scout of the Year Award, White Sox
groundskeeper Roger Bossard was named the team's Executive of the Year and White Sox director of community relations Christine O'Reilly was presented
the Mary-Frances Veeck Woman of the Year Award by White Sox hitting coach Greg Walker.

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti, a Chicago native, was selected Major League Executive of the Year, and Cubs president John McDonough was feted
with the Bill Veeck Lifetime Achievement Award. McDonough quipped that when he received the news from Pete Caliendo, the Pitch and Hit Club's president, he pointed out in all due respect that he was only 53. "I also told Pete that I do believe I age in Cubs' years, so I look older than that," said McDonough, drawing a laugh from the crowd.

Bob Watson, Major League Baseball's vice president of on-field operations, was presented with the final award of the night as the Humanitarian of the
Year. Detroit earned the Major League Organization of the Year, Curtis Granderson took home the Chicago Area American League Major League Player of
the Year and Josh Fields, Jerry Owens and Ryan Sweeney shared the White Sox Minor League Player of the Year Award.

The night's most moving moment, though, centered on the presentation of the Patriot Award to war veteran Bryan Anderson, for whom the awards dinner was dedicated. Anderson, a native of suburban Rolling Meadows, Ill., lost both legs and his left arm in an attack while serving in the United States Army in Baghdad. "Sometimes it can be so easy to forget just how blessed you are and what you have been able to accomplish." -- Former Sox player and current broadcaster Chris Singleton, on playing baseball at a high level. Anderson received the respect and hero's treatment befitting of someone who gave up so much for his country. He was given his award by White Sox centerfielder Brian Anderson, an experience that touched the young outfielder. "Someone who has given up what he has given up could have easily taken a negative turn and dwelled on it, feeling sorry for himself," said Anderson, the player, of Anderson, the hero, before presenting him with an authentic No. 32 Anderson jersey. "But the small time I've spent with him, he's a real standup guy. "He takes the time to come out to stuff like this to help other people, which shows you the kind of guy he is," Anderson added.

Brian Stewart earned the Amateur Comeback Player of the Year Award, working his way back to pitch for the College of DuPage in 2006 after having his C-5
and C-6 vertebrae shattered in a 2004 car accident. The doctors' diagnosis was paralysis, but Stewart's set out to prove those doctors wrong by getting
back to the field. "I learned more from him than he ever did from me," said Dan Kusinski,
Stewart's coach, who presented him the award.

Chris Singleton, the former White Sox outfielder and current radio broadcaster, presented O'Fallon High School pitcher Brandon Gass with the Bo
Jackson Courage Award. Gass has battled his way back from three heart surgeries to continue his career on the mound.

In his speech to introduce Gass, though, it was Singleton who perfectly summed up how the passion of baseball can mean so much to life in general.
It was the evening's overriding theme, with hope springing eternal for the Cubs, White Sox and everyone in attendance.

"These young players will be inspired because of the gift they have been given and the talent to play in the Majors," Singleton said. "Sometimes it
can be so easy to forget just how blessed you are and what you have been able to accomplish.

"It's a humbling night for myself. I hope you file these memories as the fuel of inspiration as you go into the season."

<mailto:scott.merkin@mlb.com> Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This
story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Last edited by Fungo Master

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.