Skip to main content

Recruiting Coordinator at a Mid Major told my 2021 that if he can get his 60 time to 7.1 they would look at him as a 2B who could also play some LF,  and not just be the 3B/1B that he is now... That the added versatility is important to their program, being able to play 4 positions

We appreciated his straight talk.  Does that 7.1 time make sense at other schools though, from what you guys have heard?   I've always thought you need to be below 7 to be a D1 middle infielder...

From what we've been told, his glove, footwork, intangibles are where they need to be.   He also needs to improve his arm strength.  Topping out at 80 across the infield is another reason they might not want him as a 3B only...  

Last edited by 3and2Fastball
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the reply.  From what I can tell, with 300 D1 teams, for years the "Bottom 150" tried to imitate the Power Fives and distribute 6.7 60 guys across the infield... The problem was that they couldn't generate enough offense.  LSU can find plenty of 6.7 60 guys who can also mash.   That doesn't seem to be the case for every school in the OVC or Horizon League (as an example)

U of Dayton signed a 8.08 60 3B for their 2018 class and gave him 99 at bats as a freshman last year... Things seem to be changing at little, at some schools...

A 7.0 2021 will likely get to a 6.8 by the time he shows up on campus.  The coach probably likes his bat, glove, and foot work.....  His velo across the IF will be at least 85ish by the time he shows up as well.

Over the course of two years (Soph to Sr) my son dropped from a 7.3 to a 6.9, now as an incoming Soph he's an easy 6.75....

He's 6'1" 198 pounds, looks like a skinny but developing teenager, long arms long legs... Top 60 time so far is 7.6, Exit Velo 87, Infield Velo 80.

We've been told his swing, and glove are ahead of his measureables, he needs to get stronger/faster.  He's starting training for strength & speed with a proven Baseball trainer this month.  Previously he was lifting with a guy who specializes more in football development.   He's taken 0.4 seconds off his 60 time and  improved 9 mph in Exit Velo in the last year...

Personally I think he projects more as a 1B/DH who can play 3B.   I can certainly understand the need for versatility on a college roster though...

Last edited by 3and2Fastball

Second basemen are usually recruited shortstops with sub seven sixties. The coach must like his bat, hands and footwork. If nothing else getting his time down makes him more versatile offering more opportunity.

A 7.1 second baseman may not be the coach’s first option. But if it gets a shot show good quickness and hit. You never know what happens. 

Last edited by RJM
3and2Fastball posted:

Recruiting Coordinator at a Mid Major told my 2021 that if he can get his 60 time to 7.1 they would look at him as a 2B who could also play some LF,  and not just be the 3B/1B that he is now... That the added versatility is important to their program, being able to play 4 positions

We appreciated his straight talk.  Does that 7.1 time make sense at other schools though, from what you guys have heard?   I've always thought you need to be below 7 to be a D1 middle infielder...

From what we've been told, his glove, footwork, intangibles are where they need to be.   He also needs to improve his arm strength.  Topping out at 80 across the infield is another reason they might not want him as a 3B only...  

3and2, just taking a stab at interpreting the RC's comments relative to the player's skill set... I apologize in advance for the skeptic approach .  This is largely speculation.

"You can hit and field but you don't throw hard enough or run fast enough and you don't have the (exceptional) power to use up a 1b/DH slot for.  2b and LF are the only two spots where you might have a shot, provided you improve the speed to at least a decent number."  The versatility comment may have been the sugar coating.

If this is in any way accurate, the player is not starting off in a place where he is loved.  He will really have to work hard and improve to earn his PT opportunities.  That said, your kid is a 2021, so plenty of time for gains.  So, the RC also was probably trying to keep what he saw as projectable possibilities open and, at the same time, motivate him to work hard on his foot speed, where he sees particular potential or necessity for improvement.

Another thought is if he does see power potential, he would want to encourage the player to develop foot speed so he isn't pigeon holed as 1b/DH.  No school wants a logjam at that position... can't move them elsewhere.

CABBAGEDAD - I think your assessments ring true, to me as well.   To clarify:  my son has not commited to that school.  This was part of a conversation my son had with the RC that was along the lines of "we like you, we have interest, not ready to offer yet, we'd like to see you develop more strength, and if you can get to 7.1 we'd really like you."

I've told my son that in D1 Baseball a 7.5 runner with a great glove is a 1B, provided he can really mash.  

3and2Fastball posted:

CABBAGEDAD - I think your assessments ring true, to me as well.   To clarify:  my son has not commited to that school.  This was part of a conversation my son had with the RC that was along the lines of "we like you, we have interest, not ready to offer yet, we'd like to see you develop more strength, and if you can get to 7.1 we'd really like you."

I've told my son that in D1 Baseball a 7.5 runner with a great glove is a 1B, provided he can really mash.  

Yeah, sorry, I figured he wasn't committed... I could have been more clear in that I was just generalizing that if a player accepted to a school under those terms, he wouldn't be in a great spot.

Congrats to him on the interest at that level!  Always makes for great motivation.

3and2Fastball posted:

He's 6'1" 198 pounds, looks like a skinny but developing teenager, long arms long legs... Top 60 time so far is 7.6, Exit Velo 87, Infield Velo 80.

We've been told his swing, and glove are ahead of his measureables, he needs to get stronger/faster.  He's starting training for strength & speed with a proven Baseball trainer this month.  Previously he was lifting with a guy who specializes more in football development.   He's taken 0.4 seconds off his 60 time and  improved 9 mph in Exit Velo in the last year...

Personally I think he projects more as a 1B/DH who can play 3B.   I can certainly understand the need for versatility on a college roster though...

He definitely should get faster and stronger but I would try to not gain too much weight. 198 at 6'1 is quite heavy for his age. Not too heavy but if it is 220+ he likely is a DH/1b only, even in mlb there are very few infielders above 210 and those are 6'4 or so. If he would be 6'1 225 he could easily be seen as a "bad body" guy (if he grows to 6'3 maybe not so).

Last edited by Dominik85
3and2Fastball posted:

6'1" (or 6'2", he might grow another inch) and 225 pounds with a 100 Exit Velocity and a 6.9-7.1 60 is the goal, not something to avoid.   Most of the corner guys I've seen in D1 Baseball are built like linebackers... 

Run hill sprints like Walter Payton..., will make him explosive and keep the weight in line w his frame. Athleticism ....

3and2Fastball posted:

6'1" (or 6'2", he might grow another inch) and 225 pounds with a 100 Exit Velocity and a 6.9-7.1 60 is the goal, not something to avoid.   Most of the corner guys I've seen in D1 Baseball are built like linebackers... 

Curious, is he an older 2021?  Why do you think he won't get any taller?  If he's close to physical maturity, it might be a tough task to add 25 lbs. AND increase foot speed by that much.  Good goals and not impossible but those two types of gains tend to work against each other, particularly when nearing physical maturity.  Most D1 1B's are also taller than 6'1".  Most D1 3B's have really strong IF throwing velo.  Admittedly, I am thinking P5 type D1 players.  There are certainly more varieties at next-tier levels.

Last edited by cabbagedad
3and2Fastball posted:

In mlb not many infielders are listed at 210+.

WAR leaders 3b 2019

Bregman 180 (listed weights at fangraphs)

Rendon 200

Devers 237 

Chapman 210

Lemahieu 215 (6'4)

Arenado 205

Bryant 230 (6'5)

2b

Marte 165

Lemahieu 215

Muncy 210 

Torres 200

Villar 215

Albies 165

Wong 185

I'm not saying 220 pounds infielders don't exist but they are certainly not the norm and most of them are 6'3+, I just don't think many coaches will see a 19 yo who is 6'1, 220 as an infielder, if the straight line speed improves it probably is corner OF.

Of course if he mashes enough, who cares that plays at 1b/emergency 3b too but I do think there is a decision to be made what type of player he wants to be. Either a 200 pound infielder by working a lot on agility and that stuff or really go up to 225 and focus on the power but then it is probably not infield.

CABBAGEDAD:  True, more variety in the mid majors & lower tier programs.  He is currently a legit 6'1" in bare feet, so he'd probably be listed at 6'2" in most program websites (!)

Just a guess that he's only got about 1 more inch to grow.  He's 6 months away from turning 17.   Packing on muscle weight & strength, especially in the lower half, will help his speed, according to some coaches we've heard from as well as the speed/strength trainer who he is training with.  We've been told he has a "projectable frame".  Long arms, long legs

There are actually quite a few kids coming up who are 6'1" or 6'2" and 220 pounds with an Exit Velo around 100 off the tee.  Just about every top travel team that I know of has a couple of players like that.  

baseballhs posted:

The top ranked 3B in the 2020 class are 6'5 212 and the next is 6'2 218.  I lot of early draft conversations have the 218lb kid going top 5.  I don't think its a bad body type.  If you can hit and move, I think you're fine.  BTW, he is a true 2021, who reclassified.

It has to be noted though that most amateur 3Bs move to 1b, most mlb 3bs used to be shortstops and very few college 3bs stay at this position in pro ball. I think rendon is one of the very few college 3bs who made it at 3b in mlb.

RJM posted:

First and DH is where players who can hit but don’t win their recruited position play.

+1

Your over thinking this 3and2.

Programs do not recruit corner position players, they recruit 1) Pitchers 2) Up the middle players 3) Mashers that they think they can find a place for. Focus on the mashing part. 

3and2Fastball posted:

https://www.prepbaseballreport...Valincius-0578964231

South Carolina commit.  6'3" 240.  107 Exit Velo!!!  I've seen that kid play, he's the real deal.

My son played with Vito for a year. You’re correct that he’s the “real deal”, but he’s an outlier in a lot of respects. He’s a heck of a catcher, and honestly could probably play up the middle for many high level teams, not to mention his ability on the mound. He’s a kid who has tremendously quick hands and feet to go with his advanced size. He’s also a ferocious competitor.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.