Skip to main content

You all do realize this is an exercise in futility right? No matter how hard you try to open a league a player/players are going to turn up sick and the outcry will necessitate a shutdown. Until we get to the point, and we will, where it's "oh jimmy caught the COVID but he'll be back and ready to play next week" I'm afraid you're wasting your time.

So the son is signing up to play in a college league in Grand Park and I'm the sponsor. Here's my concern. I fork over $800. Two weeks in a kid test positive, the league is canceled and my money is gone. I'm not worried about the kid getting COVID, or bringing it home to the wife and I. That all to me is a matter of when not if. My concern is the whole thing going right over a cliff.

SC governor put out an order yesterday that says we can start practicing youth and adult baseball/softball on May 31 but can't play until June 15.  Only 1 parent allowed at practice.  But you can take your wife and 9 kids to WalMart or an amusement park or play putt-putt or bowling or museum.  I'm blown away the logic or lack thereof with many of these people.  As a coach, there is a lot more interaction in practice than there is in a game. 

Don't we always tell baseball players, control what you can control?  And don't worry about what others are doing?  As a life lesson?

Absolutely. But we can control this and we can control how to stop people that don't have anything to do with baseball in changing how you play baseball immensely. Because nothing is a law, these are only suggestions, and it can be stopped or changed if the people demand it. 

@James G posted:

Absolutely. But we can control this and we can control how to stop people that don't have anything to do with baseball in changing how you play baseball immensely. Because nothing is a law, these are only suggestions, and it can be stopped or changed if the people demand it. 

If you start going down this road, you're going to start thinking you or your kid should be able to control coaches or the NCAA or the conferences. i don't think it's healthy or productive.

i'm just grateful our high school team is getting to play. Hoping that my son's collegiate team gets to play. I think most people are willing to make some changes to make kids and their families as safe as possible.

In Iowa, they are asking family groups to sit at least 6 feet apart. My only worry is that people might hear the catty comments I exchange with another mom if we are sitting six feet apart.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.