Skip to main content

I'm new here so pardon me if I am asking a question that has been addressed already. I read a good number of the post and know you guys can help.

My little guy is only 7. He took to playing catcher this season and really like the position. I never caught or pitched so my knowledge is limited here. I have done a lot of reading and asking questions in order to get him the information he needs to be successful and thus thus enjoy his time behind the plate. So far he is loving it and wants to keep catching.

My question is this. I am trying to help him learn to properly throw over the top. More of a 12-6 rotation of the ball. He is having some trouble with it. Most of the better players in the league at this age are in the infield. These are the guys he looks at and wants to imitate. A lot of these little infielders throw from the side or with more of a 2-8 rotation. He has picked this up and I can't slow the train down. He has a good arm and it is easier for him to throw the ball with velocity when he does not come straight over. That makes it kind of tough to convince a young kid that one way is better than the other. He has trouble with release and accuracy when trying to throw 12-6.

I am using baseballs with black tape across the four seems when warming up. I drew a picture for him to show him what the rotation of the ball does to the flight from point to point to explain the differencve between the two methods. He gets it, he just can't stop it. He tries really hard but is struggling. Any help is truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
deaconspoint
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Always nice to see a young player staking out his claim behing the plate.
It’s early to be overly concerned about his ability to do everything “just right” because it’s a long way down to second base and that catching equipment is pretty bulky for a young player ...... However it’s always good to know how to get from point A to point B.
Arm strength development is much the same no matter if you’re a pitcher, catcher, outfielder or an infielder but as you will soon learn the footwork is completely different for each position. My suggestion is to long toss ---- long toss ---- to build the arm strength and to practice the catch, transfer, and the throw downs in the back yard. (over and over)
Having “been there and done that” I might warn you that as your son’s arm strength increases the coaches will want to put him on the mound ---- So be prepared.

I’ve included a link to a catching website that specifically covers some of the throwing techniques that my son found very helpful when he was a developing catcher.
Best of luck!
Fungo
The art of catching
First of all, you are correct to emphasize 12/6 backspin on his throws. But that doesn't necessarily mean he should throw "over the top". A kid might interpret that to mean he should throw directly overhead. That is not the case.

In the long run, catchers have to learn the snap throw. At age 7, IMHO, you just can't use the snap throw. First of all it takes tremendous arm strength that even the best 7-year-old won't have. Secondly it is very stressful on young elbows. Better to teach standard throwing technique -- something he can use at ANY position, including pitcher. He won't get burned by this at his age, anyway, since at that age runners can't steal until the pitch is practically in his mitt. Any young catcher who throws accurately can nail any base stealer in youth league play.

Thus your emphasis on backspin is correct because it emphasizes accuracy. A ball thrown with 2/8 spin will tail and sink and the runners will be safe.

But instead of throwing "over the top", use the "L" position, with the upper arm even with the shoulder line, the forearm up at a 90-degree angle. This puts the hand upright so that when the fingers pull down through the ball, you get the straight 12/6 back spin you're after.

Also, make sure he's using the 4-seam grip. It's amazing how many kids don't.

If your son is genuinely trying to throw "over the top", this is very hard to do and not really adviseable anyway. Plus, the catcher's gear can impede his best efforts, the same way that using standard shoulder pads impedes a young kid trying to play quarterback in football. So, make sure he's working with the "L" position and see if he can do that.

Kids should reach back in a "downward L" position, flip the ball up to reach the "upward L" position, then rotate hips and shoulders to whip the ball forward. The finger action is straight down through the ball as noted above, and when you use the 4-seam grip as fielders should, you get the optimum results.
Milodad...your description of the down L or thumbdown is great for pitchers and outfielders where "quick" throws are not required...but for infielders and catchers the up L (elbow and shoulders on same plane and the hand up behind the ear is the correct motion for quick throws...as I was taught (HS to Aball) take it from the glove to behind the ear in a straight line...creates the proper position and coil---both essential in a good throw.
Have to disagree...younger players should not be worrying about tossin to second...getting the concept of catching, blocking and "semi" captaining a team is more important...if he only tosses it 3/4s of the way properly it wont hurt his arm...but if he continues with a full "circle" approach to throwing...the chance of outgrowing the habit is real low...I have been catching since 9...was taught by my Dad (a catcher) and now am 51...have never ever had an arm problem...coached my son...who did his stint in college...he is still catching and never had an arm problem. Good mechanics will keep a young arm healthy.
Coachric---thanks for the compliment...I think! ;-) I have been doing my best to give back some of the great coaching I received as I came up...its great to see a young man who "wants" to learn the trade...not many out there who see the "fun" of being involved in every play. I been blessed to have learned from some great coaches and am still learning from folks like you. Thanks for every thing you do to keep "our" game alive.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.