Skip to main content

For the HS parents - and younger - who haven't yet honed in or really understand that one huge difference between HS and college ball is physical training, here is a video.

https://twitter.com/CoachBradl...b4wcHNebTjg&s=19

I'd note that compared to programs with CWS hopes, this is a really small weight training room.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Parents of athletes that have the potential to reach the collegiate, olympic, or professional level in sports should be familiar with the Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) model that the USOC has spent a lot of time and money creating. AFTER the growth spurt is when anaerobic / power should be focused on. This will be diffeferent for every athlete (different biological ages). My son grew 2 inches after high school and gained 40 lean pounds. Coming out of high school he would have stood out for his lack of strength in a D1 program and he went Juco. Last year (junior) he was the 2nd strongest guy on his D1 team, as a 6'3'' 220 pound pitcher.

@Goosegg posted:

For the HS parents - and younger - who haven't yet honed in or really understand that one huge difference between HS and college ball is physical training, here is a video.

https://twitter.com/CoachBradl...b4wcHNebTjg&s=19

I'd note that compared to programs with CWS hopes, this is a really small weight training room.

My son during HS was really disciplined in the weight room, but it always po'd me when I'd see him and his team take their dynamic warmups so haphazardly or half arsed.  You know, the take 15 steps, lift a leg, fake twist, turn around after 30 yards, etc.  I'd constantly tell him to take his dynamics more seriously and I'd get the standard teenage blow off, "I know Dad, I do".

Started fall practice this week at college and Saturday he calls me and says, "Dad, our dynamic warmup is done Pole to Pole, POLE TO POLE, DAD!   like only one between step and none on lunges.  FORWARD and BACKWARDS! , and PC is right there telling guys to start over if they screw up."

I just laughed with a bit of internal satisfaction and said, don't screw up.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.