Skip to main content

quote:
Is this 2007 pitching staff Bettis, Workman, Thomas, Bundy, Armstrong (kid from Virginia, I think that is his name), and Fleece. Better then the past two staffs you had.

Newscout,
Not saying this is their top six, but these are the kids who threw the six games this past weekend-
All six threw well enough to win and five of them did. That's why they are headed to the "Big Show".

Thomas, Bundy, Workman, Fleece, Bettis and Boydston.
Montgomery and Nicholson relieved, and they still had the likes of Choate, Lytle, Fowler...in the wings. All top notch pitchers.

There is no doubt the Tigers and Mustangs pitching staff is just as talented.
Last edited by thats-a-balk!
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:

I think there is one other team that will be attending some type of AABC function.

Maybe they are being over looked. Hopefully they can do well.

JAFO, DBAT would never forget our partners in crime. Everything happen as scheduled, all the chatter I knew would flush you out to post the photo of the National League World Qualifier Dallas Tigers which you should have posted a month ago. Thanks for getting that information to me.
Last edited by SWAC
quote:
Originally posted by Newscout:
Ok I have a few questions:

* Who is the guy in the tiger uniform on the far right tucking it in…. ha-ha just kidding.

• Ok I have seen every team play this summer. It looks to me that DBAT has the best pitching staff. That’s if BB is not throwing for the Tigers. And I don’t believe he got the required number of league games in so that would be a no. Also I heard the Tigers picked up 3 good arms so that may change things. But before that DBAT had a better staff then the Mustangs and Tigers. That is not to say either of those team could beat them in a one game playoff.
• Batters 3 to 7 DBAT is very tough. But the Tigers have 3 guys that are better than any body. The Mustangs had about 4 guys but they were spread out in the line up.

Now to my question to the DBAT fans. And it sure seems there are a lot of you on this message board. This may be a question for Ken G.

Is this 2007 pitching staff Bettis, Workman, Thomas, Bundy, Armstrong (kid from Virginia, I think that is his name), and Fleece. Better then the past two staffs you had.

2007: Bettis, Workman, Thomas, Bundy, Armstrong, Fleece.

2005: Kershaw, Walden, Calhoun, Mathews, Tollason

2003: Ray, Plummer, Hearne, Furnish, Douglass, Cox

NewScout apparently the name does not fit you since you know who was on DBAT's pitching staff in 2003. No one here from DBAT is going to bite on your question regarding the best staff we've had. All the previous players you have listed have gone on to have successful careers after high school and we hope the same for this group of young men.

By the way you omitted the following pitchers on the 2007 staff:

Lytle
Boydston
Fowler
Montgomery
Nicholson

Its a team effort by all 20 players.

And believe me, no one respects the Dallas Tigers more than DBAT. The two teams have been playing against each other since they were 10 years old and there have been a number of 1 - 2 run games. Its a rivarly on the field and friendship off the field; the way it should be baseball fans.
Last edited by SWAC
quote:
Originally posted by Newscout:
Ok I have a few questions:

* Who is the guy in the tiger uniform on the far right tucking it in…. ha-ha just kidding.

• Ok I have seen every team play this summer. It looks to me that DBAT has the best pitching staff. That’s if BB is not throwing for the Tigers. And I don’t believe he got the required number of league games in so that would be a no. Also I heard the Tigers picked up 3 good arms so that may change things. But before that DBAT had a better staff then the Mustangs and Tigers. That is not to say either of those team could beat them in a one game playoff.
• Batters 3 to 7 DBAT is very tough. But the Tigers have 3 guys that are better than any body. The Mustangs had about 4 guys but they were spread out in the line up.

Now to my question to the DBAT fans. And it sure seems there are a lot of you on this message board. This may be a question for Ken G.

2007: Bettis, Workman, Thomas, Bundy, Armstrong, Fleece.

2005: Kershaw, Walden, Calhoun, Mathews, Tollason

2003: Ray, Plummer, Hearne, Furnish, Douglass, Cox

I'll bite...........or at least give my two cents.

I think the best to answer your question fairly would be Cade...........he's the only one who's actually seen all of these pitchers pitch with a DBAT uniform on.

First, I think the question should be simplified......

1. Which staff was better with the DBAT organization?

2. Which staff is better now or on potential?

The only staff I feel qualified to speak on would be the 2005 staff...........the only team I actually coached. The staff prior I did not see pitch because I was the "shoe shine" boy with the Rangers at that time.

But I will comment on this...............

The year Kershaw, Tolleson, Walden, Cahoon, Mathews, Slakey, McCool, Williams, Poynter ect. was together was an extremely talented bunch.......

Is was evident early that Kershaw had the best projectability of the bunch. Later he was the #7 overall pick by the Dodgers.

Walden was incredible and as a 17 year old he was consistantly in the mid 90's with an occasional 97-99 mph. He recently signed a $1 million plus contract with the Angels.

Cahoon was a nice lefty who is now at North Central I believe.

Donnie Williams was a nice addition and had big time confidence on the mound. I believe he pitched at North Central this year as well.

I don't think Mathews lost a game that summer. He's at Baylor now and made the TCL All-Star team.

Slackey and McCool have battled injuries.........Slackey went to Arkansas for his freshman year and now is at Navarro with McCool.

And we all know Poynter's recent success.

But if I had to have one guy to pitch one game that summer.............

My pick would have been Tolleson. I've never seen a competitor like him at that age. He just seemed to always get the job done. Unfortunately he's come up with some arm troubles but I hear is recovering nicely at Baylor.

But when it's all said and done.........who know's which staff was the best for DBAT.

But I will say this, if the DBAT pitching staff of this year wins the Connie Mack World Series...........................

We should all be able to say.......they were the best of the bunch.

Talent takes you so far in this game, but winning is the ultimate proof of who's the best.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
quote:

Are you kidding me? I feel like KG now (no need to hide behind a screen name). Jafo in the flesh? Cat's out of the bag for those who never knew. Thanks a lot newscout!

And for the record it was 137 out there, I lost a lot of water weight. I am truly not tucking it in. And how about that uni. Has anyone ever made one look so bad.....(Excluding Kermit)
quote:
My pick would have been Tolleson. I've never seen a competitor like him at that age. He just seemed to always get the job done. Unfortunately he's come up with some arm troubles but I hear is recovering nicely at Baylor.

I spoke with Coach Thompson (Baylor pitching coach) this afternoon in Houston and asked him how Shawn was doing. He told me he was throwing now and getting to the point where he can start throwing off a mound and really cranking it up. That's great news.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.