Maryland 252 35,329
VA 232 19,643
CU 204 15,873
NC State 183 29,959
VA Tech 156 28,000
FL State 168 35,462
Wake 130 3,950
Miami 126 14,978

With Duke having second lowest enrollment (Wake has fewer students) , I am wondering how they have so many on the academic honor roll (above 3.0) with such low athletic acceptance standards. The courses must be easier?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TPM...my money is on Duke's athlete's being a whole heck of a lot higher up the academic scale.

Easier classes????

Compare SAT/ACT scores if you can find it.

I had a NHS student unable to get into Duke 17

My NHS son was unable to get in 17 years ago when the standard's were lower! I'd be willing to bet Duke has the highest athlete GPA of any ACC school coming out of HS.

Wake, btw, has the fewest students in the ACC.
Last edited by soxnole
Wake Forest has the lowest enrollment at under 4,000 undergraduate, to Duke's 6,100 or so. For the record, Duke's academic reputation and the university's commitment to academic excellence is recognized as among the highest in the nation. I would say with confidence that Duke's commitment to its athletes' academic success and programs like tutoring and academic counseling have more to do with the extremely high success rate than easy courses offered.
I edited above and added enrollment.

Soxnole,
Just kidding on the courses being easier.

This post was in repsonse to another thread, with Bear mentioning Maryland having high benchmarks for scholarships. Don't know if that is true, but looks like to me by teh number of students on honor roll, Duke may have the higer standards in all sports.

Working on baseball.
TPM,

Duke is ranked No. 5 in the nation by US News & World Report and has the highest percentage of top scholars (including athletes) in the conference because it is the best school. maryland is 55th nationally. The ACC list is as follows:

Duke (5)
Virginia (23)
UNC & Wake (27)
Georgia Tech (37)
Boston College (40)
Maryland & Miami (55)
NC State & Clemson (78)
Florida State (109)
BBdad,
Thanks to help further prove my point.

TR,
The enrollment was an after thought.

I was just a bit surprised to hear from Bear that the academic standards for freshman coming in to Duke was so low. I know he mentioned baseball only, but I can't see how a school like Duke with so many very SMART students can have lower standards for baseball players.
I am looking to see if Maryland standards for baseball recruiting is higher than Dukeas Bear has not comeup with that info. On paper, not by word of mouth.

You should undertand as you always remind me to give the correct info before posting, right? Smile
Last edited by TPM
TR has it right, but TPM's post mentions acceptance standards, so those accepted who did not make the spring roster must also be factored in. Not easy to do.
Are we still discussing the "conference with the "best standards" of acceptance? Still funny! I do not know about all ACC schools, but I do know about Clemson...the "line" bends when it needs to. It does not make Clemson any less of a great school and a great place to play baseball. The same with all the other schools mentioned. The best school,the best conference is the one that your son/daughter gets an education at.
Sorry Catsuremom this isn't about Clemson. This is not about bending any which way, your comment is not understood.

This is about a poster claiming Maryland has the highest baseball standards for accepting freshman in the ACC with Duke's 2.8, 950 GPA. It'snot about maryland either, but why posters makes remarks because they have some personal issues.

For some you are correct, the best school is the one your son/daughter goes to. But in this case, I think it was an insult to Duke.

Actually, with Duke and Maryland fighting desperately to stay up with the rest of ACC baseball, I considered it a pretty silly comment to begin with. If you have a team best GPA and record, then make the statement.
Last edited by TPM
Hi TPM. No, it is not about Clemson,I am sorry you thought that was the point of my post... it is about all these schools. No-one should be offended by the truth of any schools acceptance standards. I believe all the higher institutions Board of Trustees set good standards, definitely Duke, Clemson or any of the above mentioned schools. The point is, MOST of them have "adjusted" those standards as needed. Duke is a great school, almost everyone would agree, anyone who has a child there should be very proud, Maryland, Clemson and No-Name U also. Right? The original point of my post is your stats are flawed...on every school, even if just slightly. NOT about Clemson any more than any other school. I am very sorry you took it personally. I LOVE Clemson, my grandfather was huge benfactor. Grandmother big USC supporter. USC vs CU was huge in our household. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Baseballdad1228:
TPM,

Duke is ranked No. 5 in the nation by US News & World Report and has the highest percentage of top scholars (including athletes) in the conference because it is the best school. maryland is 55th nationally. The ACC list is as follows:

Duke (5)
Virginia (23)
UNC & Wake (27)
Georgia Tech (37)
Boston College (40)
Maryland & Miami (55)
NC State & Clemson (78)
Florida State (109)

Absoulutely the best school! Go Dukies!
Here is what we found was worth looking at ;

Rankings of American Universities by the Graduation Rates of their Students
The following list ranks American universities by their graduation rates - the percentage of admitted students who graduate within 5 or 6 years of entering the school as freshman.
A school's graduation rates can give you a good sense of the academic, social, and support environment at that university. School's with rigorous academics and strong support networks generally have the highest graduation rates.

http://collegeapps.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=...Fa%2Fu_gradrates.htm

There is also a page 2 that takes you to the schools with graduation rates in the 30% range. Keep in mind that this is not only athletes but the college population.
Last edited by Coach Merc
There are other colleges who have high academic requirements and some of the best academic institutions are in the ACC.

We have much experience with Duke and next to Ivy League schools and a few others, the academic requirements for a baseball recruit at Duke are as stringent as it gets.

Unfortunately the baseball team's RESULTS help to prove this!

Exceptions can be made, but there's not much room allowed. I've often wandered if the exceptions are more plentiful with bigger margin for deficiency in Duke BASKETBALL. Only asking this because of all the great success they have had in that sport.
"I've often wandered if the exceptions are more plentiful with bigger margin for deficiency in Duke BASKETBALL."

I'm guessing that "exceptions" can be made for any sport at Duke - the trick is to attain some level of success first, then the pressure to take a flyer on a player with a lower SAT or GPA than usual is probably looked upon more favorably. Hopefully 2006 will be the beginning of great things for Coach McNally and the Duke baseball program.

BTW "wandering" is usually done with the feet and "wondering" is done with the mind. Though now that my 12-year-old is about to turn 13, giving me FOUR teen-aged boys in the house, I do tend to do a bit more "wandering" with my mind.

Buzz, [Duke University, Class of '80]
quote:
Originally posted by Baseball Buzz:
BTW "wandering" is usually done with the feet and "wondering" is done with the mind. Though now that my 12-year-old is about to turn 13, giving me FOUR teen-aged boys in the house, I do tend to do a bit more "wandering" with my mind.
Buzz, [Duke University, Class of '80]

Since it is PG that wrote "wandering" it must be a typo...otherwise I would say it was written By a Maryland Basketball Player.

(Just having some fun at Bear's expense and probaly making TPM smile)
Last edited by Novice Dad
Catsuremom,
Point is, in another topic a point was made about Duke. The honor roll figures are from last year as noted 2004-2005.

This was in no way meant to slight any school, I just felt the below comment made about Duke, other ACC schools admission requirements were uncalled for, unless there is supporting documentation. I think Itsinthegame got it. Smile

Posted January 23, 2006 06:58 AM by Bear:
For the Atlantic Coast Conference, it's a very easy question to answer.

For baseball student athletes, the University of Maryland has difficult admissions standards for freshman. A GPA of about 3.2 and 1100 SAT (math and verbal) get's the blessing of Terp Admissions for the Baseball Office.

Duke admissions standards for baseball players, contrary to many perceptions, are not as high for recruiting baseball players and are about 2.8 GPA & 950 (M&V).

Anyone highly talented HS baseball player with 2.5 GPA and 900 SAT's can get into the other state schools in the Conference. Whereas the private schools in the conference have on some occasions recruited a talented player, only to NLI a highly talented better player, ....and then the 'admission' guidelines are adjusted up, if you know what I mean.

By the way, the NCAA does NOT publish APR baseball rankings as per Boyd Nation, at this time.
Its,Bee and Prepster,

Ok go ahead, come up with a better topic.

Please stay away from the following:
Are good grades important to get into a D1,2,3,NAIA, Juco or any school for that matter.

My son has been contacted by a MLB scout, do we need an advisor?

Anything about pitching.

Is speed more important than hitting and 60 yard times.

Anything mentioning the word Karma.

9-13 elite travel teams.

Chicago White Sox

Making the varsity team in HS and getting the start.

Barry Bonds

What determines a good scholarship.

Are coaches bad because they play the more experienced players or anything else about coaches

Should I send a video to the college coach.

Should my son go pro or go to college.

Showcases, tournaments or summer travel teams

I think that covers it. Big Grin
Last edited by TPM
It's - don't judge so quickly bye

something I learned from mrs Bee> - selective processing (like she does with me) clapping
hear what you want to hear!! drunkard

to me, another great topic!! cutelaugh

Prep's posts were classics, add the wanderings of PG & the "Florida Orange/Ray-Ban Person"

good job guys

c'mon It's, I know you're holding more than a "straight flush" toilet

guitar

Last edited by Bee>

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.