Skip to main content

A College Coach has a "great" opportunity to develop a Scouting report on his competition.

With all the prospective players and "showcases" announcing metrics on HS players, a College Coach could log in this data & develop a "scouting report" on each player.

"Launch angle", batting speed, running speed, arm speed will provide "advance scouting" report on the prospective player who joins a team in his conference. "Knowledge is golden"!

For example: if a player has 30 degree launch angle and 88 mph bat speed, How would pitch that player?

Bob

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Consultant posted:

A College Coach has a "great" opportunity to develop a Scouting report on his competition.

With all the prospective players and "showcases" announcing metrics on HS players, a College Coach could log in this data & develop a "scouting report" on each player.

"Launch angle", batting speed, running speed, arm speed will provide "advance scouting" report on the prospective player who joins a team in his conference. "Knowledge is golden"!

For example: if a player has 30 degree launch angle and 88 mph bat speed, How would pitch that player?

Bob

A friend/former college summer teammate is a very successful D3 head coach. A couple of years ago his team was hosting regions. I went to all his games and some of the others.

He put a major league type shift on a player his team had never played. I figured he had probably called coaches he knew from that league for information. When rain delayed the start of the next day I had a chance to chat with him. I asked about the shift. There’s a database even for D3 with spray charts coaches can subscribe to.

P;

watch the old clips of Mickey Mantle. His best swings from the left side was low pitches and from the right side "above the belt". Of course Mickey did not "think" only react.

During a "All Star" game Ted Williams ask him. "Mick when you hit right handed is your top hand stronger than your bottom hand"?

When he started to "think", Mickey went into a batting slump for one week.

Bob

The College Recruiter Coach:

For players and parents you may desire to learn the motivation of this Coach.

Why does he travel to the showcases, games and tournaments? Is there a more efficient method of finding the talent. Does he have a "shopping" list of his teams needs?

If you have an opportunity to ask the scout "what his eyes see" and what is his motivation to be a this specific game.

The answers will allow you and your son to "zero" in on the realistic schools.

Bob

@RJM posted:

I throw just as hard as I did in college. It's just the ball arrives a lot later now.

Mr. @RJM,

If you want to have your balls arrive sooner, then sign up to Tim's school of Flamethrowers. Just $2,995 at https:\timsflamthrowingschool.com. No ups, no downs, and no extras, and we are freeway close. (for those who have freeways, for those of us in in countries with proper English,  motorways)

Tim

Last edited by TimtheEnchanter

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.