Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Play as many as you can for as long as you can. My 2021 Juco freshman has a sophomore teammate who started the vast majority of games at 2B last season.  Did not pitch at all. This fall and going forward, he’s a RHP PO. No clue what the story is but I’ll bet that kid is loving his versatility right about now. When the coach says “what I REALLY need right now is an X,” have as many answers to X as you possibly can in your pocket ready to go.

Last edited by DanJ

My son ( 15 year old freshman) started saying the same thing. Had a bad showing at a tryout, and one of the coaches told him he wasn't very good behind the plate. He told one of his pitching coaches, that he only wanted to be a P.O., but that coach said "don't give up hitting yet. Plenty of time for that later". Fast Forward (approx 3 months later); He's at the plate, with two outs and bases loaded, he hits a game winning double to the fence, to clear the bases. Then, Three weeks ago he hit his first "Dinger" , against a Mid 80's pitcher. He no longer talks about P.O.

Batting can be so frustrating ! Especially when success is only about a third of the time. I can see why kids get turned off. But, when the hits come, its a whole different feeling. I suspect it may be the same for your son. Of course, I'm only guessing. Best of luck , and whatever happens-keep the game fun.

My son was the opposite, I thought he’d be a two-way player in HS, but he enjoyed hitting more than pitching. He was a 3-year HS starter (corner guy, 4-hole, slow as Christmas) and didn’t start pitching in HS until the end of his senior year (as a closer).

He wasn’t recruited in HS but got a couple of (2 way) juco offers after attending camps (Hill and Blinn). After his first week at Hill, he was a PO with no intent of attempting the riggers being a 2-way player in juco ball.

I agree that you should do all you can until they tell you different, but in the end it’s their game and their choices. My kid’s journey would have been a lot different if he’d listened to my advice and we’re both beyond thankful he made his own choices - but that’s another story…  

Ever since he was 9 he wanted to be a professional pitcher.  I asked him once why.  He likes the battle and honestly... Humiliating a batter.

ok great so he is a pitcher at heart and ultimately that is where his future is. That being said staying active in playing a spot, getting swings in being a bigger part of the team at the current level, being HS, he is playing at are good things.

So he makes varsity this year as a 3rd or 4th arm and continues to practice with the players. Over the next few years he should rise in the rotation but also as daily contributor. Ultimately by being 2 way he may make the HS team deeper and better and ultimately the game will tell him when it is time to move to PO. if he is a legit 2-6 hitter my guess is he will be solid 1/8 starter for his JR and SR seasons and move on to pitch in college...if he develops any arm issues he may be thrilled he waited.

Bottom line is you aren't going to be able to force him to do anything but you may be able to help him see a similar but different immediate future.

Dadbelly"

a few years ago in our annual December Australia International Tournament we selected the Head Coach of George Washington HS in New York City and 3 of his players to join our team.

One player was a cousin of Manny Ramirez.

One player was a pitcher "only".

During a game, our offense was terrible and non-existence. I told the coach let the pitcher "hit".

"He hit a game winning HR and ran around the bases backward"!

Keep swinging. Do not run the bases backward, your teammates will pay.

Bob

Last edited by Consultant

i'm in the minority but i don't mind the kid deciding, now, that he wants to be a PO.  it doesn't sound like it was a single bad showing that forced a rash decision.

i agree that hitting is fun. I was the guy, in HS and college that did the 2 way thing bc hitting is fun. some people are wired differently, though.  I had a couple of HS teammates who just didn't want to hit.  they wanted to stand on the mound and beat the hitters. my son has  a couple of guys on his travel team that are the same way. they're athletic enough to hit, if they put the work in, but it's just not their thing. they all knew, early, that they just wanted to pitch

@Consultant posted:

Dadbelly"

a few years ago in our annual December Australia International Tournament we selected the Head Coach of George Washington HS in New York City and 3 of his players to join our team.

One player was a cousin of Manny Ramirez.

One player was a pitcher "only".

During a game, our offense was terrible and non-existence. I told the coach let the pitcher "hit".

"He hit a game winning HR and ran around the bases backward"!

Keep swinging. Do not run the bases backward, your teammates will pay.

Bob

Wait, I notice you didn't end this one with "true story"!

The hard part here is convincing the teenager in a way that makes it seem like his idea/decision.  Remind him that HS ball is about winning for your school.  It's not travel or showcase baseball, it's team baseball, school and community pride.  That a good left hand bat is a weapon for the coach and team.  Why deny them of his talent to help them win the division, state's, etc.  Plus, ask him if he really wants to sit waiting for his turn in the rotation or stint out of the pen when he could be contributing to winning games.  HS Coaches will often ride their seniors or #1 or #2 arm depending on how the schedule shapes up or the weather impacts it, if he's not that 1 or 2 as an underclassman, he could be lucky to see double digit innings during the season.  Take the field, the HS career is short.

IF that doesn't work, wait till his HS girlfriend says she wants to go to his games.   He'll find a way to play the field.

My son was the #1 pitcher on his HS team his junior and senior years....and also the starting SS.  He did both in travel from 9U on up.  The summer after his junior year he moved to a really well known travel program.  He played SS, 3B, 2B and also pitched.  He had schools talking to him as a pitcher....and schools talking to him as an IF.  He got offered as a pitcher by his first choice and took it.  He was a starter/closer his first 3 years....and DH'd quite a bit his junior year.... then played a lot of 1B/DH his senior year due to an arm issue.   Unless your son is a top level LHP I'd suggest staying as a 2 way player.  You have no idea what level of college he will end up at at this point.  Any travel coach that would suggest choosing one or the other at that age is crazy unless college coaches are telling him that's where your son fits....which doesn't seem to be the case since he is basically telling your son to make the choice himself

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.