Skip to main content

Been anxiously awaiting the "approval" to post because my son received a very generous offer from a D1 school last night and he was told he only has a few weeks to respond. Some background - he is a 2020 grad, RHP 6'3" 200 lbs., smart kid. He also happens to be a strong QB and because of football, he doesn't have the camp or showcase exposure. He goes to a very small, private school and aspires to go out of state for college. The D1 offer is in state.  As luck would have it, a game was canceled the first week of November and this would give him the opportunity to possibly attend a PG or Showball showcase. What do you think???? I figure if a D1 really wants him, maybe others will that haven't seen him yet? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As far as I know, last time he was clocked was last summer at 85. But I have to say, since the he has grown 2 inches and 30 lbs. He hasn't been clocked since. Only opportunity he had last summer was a few local travel tournaments where he was asked to "guest play." 

He doesn't necessarily want to go to the school because it is too close to home (hope that doesn't say anything about me!!) 

It’s really hard to say. I think a lot of the premiere program’s recruit pitchers first, so there have all ready been a lot of right-handed pitchers committed to programs.  What criteria is he looking for outside of not in his state? What prompted the offer yesterday? How many right-handed pitchers have they committed for the 2020 class?  If it were me, I think I would get him in front of a gun in the next week to see what your working with. If he’s made huge gains you are safer was not taking this offer than if he hasn’t .  I’m just curious if he hasn’t been seen why a program made him a generous offer of the blue .

Last edited by baseballhs

Welcome to the site.  There is so much to address in your post and only two weeks to do so .  Be aware that you can search threads here and find a ton of info for any recruiting question.  Congrats to him on the offer!

Answers to most of your questions require more questions.  Why does he aspire to go out of state?  Is that a dream with depth, something that has been researched?  Or is it more superficial - wants to get away from home, admires the power 5 schools he sees on TV for the CWS, etc.?  If he is targeting HA private universities, this won't apply but there is much written here about in-state vs. out-of-state costs and recruiting challenges for the recruit as well as the school.

Regarding the opportunity to showcase - you say he is playing football.  Is he still baseball sharp?  If he has not been also staying baseball sharp during football season, it's may very well not a good idea to attend a showcase, particularly as a P.   I say this from both a performance and arm safety standpoint.

Last edited by cabbagedad

That's just my point, he WAS seen by this school's head coach (when he was a freshman for that matter). I think he has a great deal of faith in his ability and potential I suppose? The coach asked us to visit a few weeks back - we did and he formalized the offer last night.

My biggest worry at this point is having him throw when he has only been throwing a football for the past few months!  I am not even sure a couple of weeks with him throwing every night will get him warm enough for Nov. 3rd.  Is it too risky?  It could hurt him to go to these showcases at not be at his best - no?

IMO, yes, definitely risky and, as I said, risky from both a performance and safety standpoint.  As I'm sure you know, ramping back up for a pitcher who hasn't thrown in a few months is typically a few month process... throw short, stretch out, flat ground, pens FB only, mix off speed, get sharp, build velo back up, etc.  Shortcuts to this process are dangerous.  Your worry in regards to doing a showcase in two weeks are warranted.

To magnify concerns, pitching in showcase environment typically results in P's reaching back for extra.

Good points CabbageDad - and I think his wanting to go out of state are just to get away from home and relish in the glory of a "cool" D1 school. I don't think many 17 yr. old athletes have the ability to look at academics when it's the sports enticing them. I obviously want him to get a great education first and foremost....let's face it, how many go to the MLB? I just want to give him the exposure without hurting his opportunity.

I think it will be helpful to you both if you really drill down on a specific recruiting plan and target school list with more definitive rationale.  Part of the process, one of many steps is gaining a good understanding of the realistic issues and costs regarding the in-state/out-of-state thing as previously mentioned.  Perhaps he can just share with the D1 offer school that he wasn't prepared to make a decision in that timeframe and ask for a bit more time.  Meanwhile, also compile a list of questions for that school that will both better inform you and show mutual interest, while not committing when he isn't ready to do so.  Of course, the downside is that most D1 schools have a decent size pool of mid-80's RHPs to choose from to offer, so you may not get much of an extension. 

Concur with above comments.  GPA/ACT?  trying to gauge where he is... you will always be able to leverage having a D1 offer for other opportunities.  If he is a strong student, Ivy's like to recruit kids who have D1 offers.  

Totally agree with the physical risk involved here.  If baseball doesn't work out, your son has to like the school (whether in state or out of state)

I also believe a big unknown is where my son stacks up against the rest - and yes, I know this is the 25 million dollar question.  That is why I like the idea of getting him to a top notch showcase, so if anything, he can get hit with a little bit of reality. So, with that being said, any particular showcase/camp/tryout you guys would recommend?

I assume you live Delaware.  Where is he wanting to go statewise (south, 2 hours away, west coast)  I assume he aspires to play D1.  There is always the risk of bird in the hand versus the one that might fly by.  It is a risk for all of us but when you get the offer with a time attached it becomes very ramped up.  If it is a place he could not see himself being happy then the answer is clear.  If he just had not considered them, then maybe more looking into what they have to offer.  If it is level of play, then be careful.  They say the offers will dictate where you fit in and right now that is the only fit.  A showcase is not the only answer.  Does he plan on playing this summer since he only played a little this past summer?  If not, then he can't assume anyone else will see him.  There is something about being courted.  More information will get you more answers.  Congrats either way.

He hasn't taken the SAT yet GOV, but based on previous standardized tests, he should fare well.  As far as his GPA, he is a 3.75 at least.  His HS is very tough academically (not known for sports!!) and very small - like 60-70 in the graduating class.  As far as Ivy League, not sure he would qualify academically.  If they allow wiggle room for athletes, well, I think it would be ideal.  If I won the MegaMillions 

LetItGo posted:

PITCHINGFAN, I don't think my son knows what he wants! I am just trying to be as informed as I possibly can be to help steer him in the right direction. He is very fortunate to receive this offer and he knows that...but I think it is too early to make a decision this big.

Well I can agree that it is hard to make a big decision in a short period of time, you should also realize that a lot of D1 level 2020 right-handed pitchers have already committed at this point.

Then there is your answer.  Accepting an offer as a junior is not for everyone.  At the least, it should make for great talking points with him about what he is wanting.  When my son started getting offers, we had to have long talks about what he would take and from who.  I told him it was only partly his decision since I was paying for part of it.  It became clear real quickly what he would take and wouldn't and from who.  that cleared up a lot of the mud in the river.  Just know that an offer as a junior is the norm rather than the exception in today's recruiting scene.  As has been said on here, our teenage sons struggle with what they want to eat much less where they want to spend four years in college. 

Sounds like you have a talented son and perhaps there are more offers in the future.  I would sit down with your son and talk to him, find out what he wants and make a plan to get there.  He received a D1 offer with apparently not much dedication and focus to the process.  That’s not criticism, more an acknowledgement maybe your son is more talented than you realize.  

Letitgo, let me offer the other perspective. My son's first offer had a similar deadline put on it. He turned it down without having another offer in hand. Nerve-wracking for the parents!! But if your son doesn't feel like its the right fit . . .

Every situation is different, but I guess from a practical standpoint, if you believe he will be touching 88-90 this Spring, he should be in a good position. 

1). Make a list of 10 schools he would want to play baseball at. 

2). Take a look at what their recruiting classes look like on PG. If they already have 8+ kids committed it's probably not going to happen.

3). Sit down and realistically decide whether he is good enough to play at the top five or so schools on the list. If you think he's good enough, and they still look to be recruiting hold off until the summer.

4). Decide if the current offer is worth passing up for schools lower on the list

5). Ask: If none of the schools on the list are interested - would you rather attend one of the listed schools as a regular student or play ball at the local school that offered? 

As for the showcases. PG Jupiter typically wraps up the fall recruiting season, especially for D1 coaches. Obviously there are some exceptions, but it is never worth the money to not get seen. A poor showing at a showcase might also get him crossed off a few lists as well. If he declines the offer - finish football, take a month off, get up to 100% for opening day, and be healthy come late May/June for the summer season

Last edited by PABaseball

I say take the offer and be thankful you got it!  As a dad of a 2019, 6' 3", 180 lb, 88 mph RHP, good grades and ACT,  with tons of exposure (lots of PG tournaments, Jupiter, WWBA, etc.... over the past three years, with tremendous success at these tournaments), from the largest classification highschool in the state and a State championship under his belt,  and not a single offer from a D1-3, I would highly recommend considering this offer.....because mid 80s RHPs are a dime a dozen.  BTW.....we are extremely happy with the one D1 JUCO that  offered and are very grateful that he will have an opportunity to continue playing at the college level.  

I really, really appreciate the perspectives from all of you.  This information is very eye-opening - to say the least.  After a meeting yesterday with a trusted coach/advisor, I think I also got my shot of reality (in a good way!) I was provided with a list of schools that matched my son's interests AND that he would have a great chance of getting into...I had no idea. We are going to do this the right way, be patient, visit a lot of schools, get him ready for a killer junior year of baseball and focus on spring/summer showcases.  Most importantly, I want him to enjoy the rest of his high school experience...and that includes kicking some *ss in football!

I will add (agreeing with stayfocused), I think a lot of people think D1 offers come more easily than they do. My son is a 2020 who was 6’2, throwing 90mph all summer.  There were lots of schools talking to him but he only got two actual offers until the end of the summer when he started hitting 91. There are TONS of RHP throwing mid 80s.  Frankly, there are a lot throwing 90...as sophomores.  The talent pool is big and these schools have a lot to choose from.

Last edited by baseballhs

Letitgo....first, congrats on the offer...it's always fun to get that "first one" under the belt.   I guess my biggest question is "what is generous".  You don't have to answer here...maybe PM me if you want some insight (my son is a senior RHP at a mid-major.   "Generous" offers for RHP throwing 85 don't come often....in fact if it's a bigger D1, a "generous" offer for a RHP may take 90+.   I don't see the big showcase being an option now...especially if he isn't in "game shape".  He could get hurt being the biggest issue.  As far as wanting to go "out of state"....trust me, if it's because he wants to get away from home, you can tell your son that even going to play D1 30 miles away will feel like he's "away from home"....because he won't get home very often.....especially during the fall and spring.  Kids heading into baseball at college don't seem to have a real idea of how little free time they'll have until they get there. 

stayfocused posted:

I say take the offer and be thankful you got it!  As a dad of a 2019, 6' 3", 180 lb, 88 mph RHP, good grades and ACT,  with tons of exposure (lots of PG tournaments, Jupiter, WWBA, etc.... over the past three years, with tremendous success at these tournaments), from the largest classification highschool in the state and a State championship under his belt,  and not a single offer from a D1-3, I would highly recommend considering this offer.....because mid 80s RHPs are a dime a dozen.  BTW.....we are extremely happy with the one D1 JUCO that  offered and are very grateful that he will have an opportunity to continue playing at the college level.  

We are living parallel lives..... son is a 2019 6'4 200 lb RHP, sitting 87-90 all summer, went to all the events, top travel team, no offers from D1s. Good grades and SAT. Hard part is looking on PG and seeing schools we talked to  signing kids whose FB velocities are lower than his by 3-4 mph. He does have 2 D1 juco offers, and may go with one of them. 

So I would try to convince my kid to take the offer.

LetItGo posted:

As far as I know, last time he was clocked was last summer at 85. But I have to say, since the he has grown 2 inches and 30 lbs. He hasn't been clocked since. Only opportunity he had last summer was a few local travel tournaments where he was asked to "guest play." 

He doesn't necessarily want to go to the school because it is too close to home (hope that doesn't say anything about me!!) 

To me the bolded comment gives you your answer.  He's a 2020 with plenty of showcase and recruiting time ahead of him.  Why say yes to the first thing that comes along if he doesn't want to go there?  He should aspire to commit to a school he would love to go to (unless and until that is no longer possible).

SomeBaseballDad posted:

I guess I would have to ask how many offers does he have as a OB? Because if the answer is none then why have you let football interfere with baseball? As that seems like where his future lies. 

Because HS football is awesome and most every kid I know who plays (my son included) considers it one of the best things he's done in HS.  It also makes him a better baseball player - stronger, faster and tougher.

SomeBaseballDad posted:

...why have you let football interfere with baseball? As that seems like where his future lies. 

Um, what about the present? That's kind of important for a kid, as well. 

Some parents lose sight of that chasing the all important partial scholarship and the probability he'll never make a real living playing baseball or football.

A 2018 kid in my son's high school league had a nice offer from a solid D1 here on the west coast. Only offer he had - he waited and waited until offer was off the table. Fast forward 6 months, he did commit to another D1 school with a strong baseball program that pretty much guaranteed a roster spot (he's a solid D1 level pitcher), however no money 

Risky to wait. Especially if head coach is leading the charge. Good luck either way. 

LetItGo posted:

I really, really appreciate the perspectives from all of you.  This information is very eye-opening - to say the least.  After a meeting yesterday with a trusted coach/advisor, I think I also got my shot of reality (in a good way!) I was provided with a list of schools that matched my son's interests AND that he would have a great chance of getting into...I had no idea. We are going to do this the right way, be patient, visit a lot of schools, get him ready for a killer junior year of baseball and focus on spring/summer showcases.  Most importantly, I want him to enjoy the rest of his high school experience...and that includes kicking some *ss in football!

I think you are picking up on some great information and great perspective in a hurry.  This is probably a mute point based on your post above.  But, I was doing a bit of dot connecting.  If I'm on the right track, your son's D1 in-state offer came from one of two schools.   Purely from a baseball standpoint, one has a decent program, established coach, plays more of a true D1 schedule.  The other... not so much.  If the offer was from the other, you should really have far less reservations about being patient, visiting other schools and waiting.

Nonamedad posted:
stayfocused posted:

We are living parallel lives..... son is a 2019 6'4 200 lb RHP, sitting 87-90 all summer, went to all the events, top travel team, no offers from D1s. Good grades and SAT. Hard part is looking on PG and seeing schools we talked to  signing kids whose FB velocities are lower than his by 3-4 mph. He does have 2 D1 juco offers, and may go with one of them. 

Nonamedad, why is the question?  There has to be something if your son is throwing 93.  Is it consistency, control, or something else.  I would have a conversation with a coach or have your travel coach ask.  There has to be something that is keeping him from getting offers.  You don't throw that speed on good teams and not get offers.  It may be a simple fix or it may be something that cannot be fixed easily but there is something.  I know too many guys who are topping 88 RHP who have offers.

LetItGo posted:

Well done!  I would also have him circle back with the offering coach and explain that he was behind in the preparation front, though not ready to accept now, would really appreciate circling back next summer (something to that effect).  Something tells me the offer will still be in his pocket next year. 

Congrats and good luck, be sure to keep us posted!

PitchingFan posted:
Nonamedad posted:
stayfocused posted:

Nonamedad, why is the question?  There has to be something if your son is throwing 93.  Is it consistency, control, or something else.  I would have a conversation with a coach or have your travel coach ask.  There has to be something that is keeping him from getting offers.  You don't throw that speed on good teams and not get offers.  It may be a simple fix or it may be something that cannot be fixed easily but there is something.  I know too many guys who are topping 88 RHP who have offers.

I never said 93.... 87-90 all summer.  I think being a late bloomer may have hurt him, last summer he was 82. Added strength and worked hard to get to 90. I’m waiting for the Jupiter numbers to hit to see where he ranks, has to be in the 80% range. And he is sitting 89-90, saw may kids that dropped off a cliff after 1 inn at 90-93 then sat 86-88.  Hard to say why there is no interest. Everyone says D1 ability.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.