Skip to main content

Can anyone explain to me the role and importance of an agent adviser prior to the draft?  I don't think they can engage scouts on behalf of their "clients" but do they do so in a roundabout fashion?  Also, does it hurt or help if the player's adviser is from a large agency or not?  I've heard it can hurt to some extent but can't imagine that's the case below the top couple round.  

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My understanding from listening to folks on here is that they can be helpful but oftentimes are not necessary.  Depending on the projected round, they may serve little or no purpose if all they are concerned about is the transaction at hand.  Conversely, I heave heard that a solid adviser can be a great benefit even if the decision is made to decline an offer.  That said, I have also heard that some scouts themselves can often provide a wealth of information and that their job is not necessarily to get a kid off the fence.

JIM - perhaps if you outline some aspects of the draft process that you think might benefit from an adviser, some folks might have some thoughts on those individual components.  I was looking forward to the feedback so hopefully some folks can share what an adviser can bring to the table and what aspects are mostly cookie cutter and would not benefit.

Jim,

They absolutely play a vital role in the process, as they are your eyes and ears into each club while they advocate for your son during his senior year. Feedback is vital, and they are the means to feedback. Why? You will have a strategy, and that strategy will need to be adjusted at every turn based on that feedback. And by the way, they will also advise as to what you should be doing if you're not doing it.

Large or small, help or hurt? I strongly recommend that you not consider that question, rather, ask which agency fits your requirements. Define those requirements, interview those agents, examine their track records, then come to a decision relative to your requirements.

It is like any other professional service. There are some great advisers/agents and shady ones as well. Make sure you do your homework and you will more then likely find an adviser who can be a great resource. My son (2018 RHP) and our family have had a positive experience so far. FYI...We went with a local guy who works for a smaller firm.

Advisers play a huge role in educating the player and parents about the process for the draft. There is a whole set of NCAA rules for things they are permitted to do.  Important thing is to find the right fit (sounds like choosing a college huh?).  Someone who your son can relate with, shares similar beliefs, and can talk to your son.  Most have either college or minor league/MLB background thus they relate to the situations your son may be experiencing.  My experience is you don't go out looking for an adviser, they will contact you if you meet their criteria.  As long as the adviser is legit they can offer much wisdom, especially on things the player may want to improve on.  Keep in mind though that much like a verbal commit to a college, they have an expectation if the situation arises for pro ball, you would "highly consider" their services as an agent, though not mandatory.

Jim T. posted:

Can anyone explain to me the role and importance of an agent adviser prior to the draft?  I don't think they can engage scouts on behalf of their "clients" but do they do so in a roundabout fashion?  Also, does it hurt or help if the player's adviser is from a large agency or not?  I've heard it can hurt to some extent but can't imagine that's the case below the top couple round.  

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

I don't believe that every player needs an advisor for the draft and hand over a % of their earned money.

Players that will be very early draft picks usually do, there is a lot of money at stake so you do need advice of an experienced professional with experience that have players on a ML roster. 

People rush to get an advisor because they think they may get them better positioning in the draft. Remember the draft is about the best player who will be available for the teams needs.  A projected late round player does not need an advisor.  You can go back to the ML draft and study the first 10 rounds, will give you an idea what each slot is worth, position and HS or college player. They contact  you, not the other way around.

Feel free to ask specific questions about the draft. College players can ask their coaches questions. 

Trust In Him posted:

My experience is you don't go out looking for an adviser, they will contact you if you meet their criteria.  

This.  

My son's advisor works only by referrals.  As a college student, and of legal age to sign a contract, it was KEEWARTSON that needed to be comfortable with HIM.   I occasionally asked son to ask him some questions for us, but son did all the communicating.  As a matter of fact, it was only after the draft that I communicated with  the advisor-now-agent with a quick text to thank him for all he did for our son.   We have still yet to meet him.

I was advised by a someone in the youth travel baseball business that we probably didn't need an advisor, based on son's projected round.  Yet another youth travel baseball coach was the one that referred son.  Possibly by having an advisor, he went much higher in the draft than projected.  

After meeting some other parents this summer, it seems that many advisor/agents are "friends of the family".  We didn't have those kind of friends. 

Son began working with his advisor right after Christmas senior year of college.  I wish son had had some of his advice during the fall when he first started meeting with scouts and had been advised the proper answers to some of their questions.

In the end, it all worked out nicely.  

Consultant posted:

Jimt

ask agent to be paid by the hour. 

Bob

Bob, with all due respect, I have never heard of this.  Only percentages.  

Now, those percentages may be all over the board!

If an advisor is paid BEFORE the draft he then becomes an agent, and the player looses his amateur status.  (I am pretty sure of this?)

Last edited by keewart

I am no expert on this topic but will relay my understanding from what was  presented to me.

keewart posted:
Consultant posted:

Jimt

ask agent to be paid by the hour. 

Bob

Bob, with all due respect, I have never heard of this.  Only percentages.  

Now, those percentages may be all over the board!

If an advisor is paid BEFORE the draft he then becomes an agent, and the player looses his amateur status.  (I am pretty sure of this?)

My understanding is what Keewart said, you pay an advisor anything then you lose your NCAA elibility.  I do believe a high school senior can do certain things but check it out.  As a general rule advisors get nothing in return for advising. They do it for free. Only after the draft if they become your agent do they get compensated, and it's for being your agent not for anything done as an advisor.  Thus unless you are predicted to go in the upper rounds of the draft, it might be difficult finding an advisor to work with you. Of course some advisors will give basic advice.  Make sure you understand the regulations, it would be terrible if you son loses his eligibility.  

Prior to the selection of the player in the Pro draft and the decision of the player to become a professional baseball player all discussions with a baseball agent are verbal and no contract is signed. Discussions can be regarding the type of future contract and method of compensation [by the hour or a % and amount of the %].

A player's family requested my help in selection of an agent and I narrowed to 3 quality agents and negotiated the % and their responsibilities to their client.  The agent, I selected is now representing the the #1 players today in the MLB.

Uncle Sam receives the greater % of the bonus. Why not incorporate the player?

Bob

RedFishFool posted:

"Uncle Sam receives the greater % of the bonus. Why not incorporate the player?"

Define greater %?

I will preface this by saying that I've never done a tax return for a player but incorporating would be greatly dependent upon the size of the bonus, etc as to whether it would be worthwhile or not?

If I only knew lol.....Brings up a memory with my son.  After receiving his $5 signing bonus he was shocked to learn he doesn't get to keep "all of it".

Shoveit4Ks posted:

I do believe that some advisors have more leverage than others with teams. What that actually gets you in the end is unknown at this point. 

I'm not certain about leverage, but there may be a deeper level of knowledge of one organization over another. An agency that has a team of agents working in concert (or relying upon each other) can overcome this deficiency. 

Trust In Him posted:
joemktg posted:

I do believe a high school senior can do certain things but check it out.  

HS player treatment same as collegiate player.

I agree with Joemktg but remembered something about this.  I didn't pay much attention at the time since didn't apply to my son.  Applies only to certain conferences it appears. See link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com...#zjEE04D04M7xGDt5.97

You were right the other day about rules being different for potential HS drafts.

The NCAA has always been more lenient with college juniors and R players, they should be for HS players. 

While some say that some advisor/ agents with ML relationships might help, that might be for the big time agents with big time prospects, however sons agents agency at the time, we're pretty well established with the Tigers, but they didn't need a ground ball RHP.

The draft is based on need. Don't let anyone tell you they can get you drafted by XYZ team, unless you have already made a pre draft arrangement.

Also, please don't take this the wrong way, but chances are your HS player will not be drafted. People get all excited with the attention, but rarely does that indicate they will get drafted.

JMO

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.