Skip to main content

Not sure if this is the best forum in which to post this, but will give it a shot.

My son is a '22 who just signed his NLI to a Power 5. He has participated in a lot of high level/highly scouted events and has had a lot of communication with MLB scouts (including the MLB and individual team questionnaires). We have also had multiple conversations with multiple advisors over the past few years, but my son has not agreed to work with an advisor.

If you read the NCAA rules and the language in the grant in aid contract that accompanies the NLI, it is clear that a HS student can have an advisor, but that advisor cannot communicate on the player's behalf with MLB teams. We know players who have worked with advisors and been drafted out of HS after signing their NLIs. We also know players who have worked with advisors to test the draft waters out of HS before opting to attend and play in college. In my son's class, at a number of events he attended this past summer and fall, he was in the vast minority of players who are NOT currently working with an advisor.

I know that most of these advisors communicate with MLB teams on behalf of these players. For the '22 kids, that will only pick up in the spring and heading into the draft. So I think it's a fair observation to say that most players with advisors are breaking the rules. They are also lying to the NCAA about it when they complete their eligibility clearinghouse info. I am not condemning these players and families -- the fact is that everyone is doing it.

So the question I have -- why does the NCAA have a rule (seemingly an important one regarding eligibility) that they don't enforce? Especially given that those who follow the rule will be at a significant disadvantage heading into the draft. People I know say we are overthinking it (everyone does it), but I cannot get beyond the fact that the rules and the contractual language in the grant in aid say my kid can lose his scholarship and eligibility if he works with an agent/advisor (the difference being someone who does or does not communicate on your behalf with MLB teams, so most of these "advisors" are actually agents).

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks. I understand that HS players can (and do) back out of verbal agreements with advisors, but the NCAA rules state that you can’t have a written or oral agreement to work with an advisor who communicates with teams on your behalf (which makes that “advisor” an agent). Walking away from a verbal agreement doesn’t change the fact that you entered into it in the first place. I recognize that everyone is breaking the rule but, as arbitrary as the NCAA tends to be, I think HS players who do should be concerned about their eligibility.

NCAA bylaws are arcane, if you figure it out..please post here, my $$ is it makes no sense. Son had one, verbally...and they were terrible. Went to college (not sure if he would have ever been drafted or for anything near a number to move the needle) and once he pitched for TeamUSA in college, Boras found him. Advisors are a dime a dozen, the good ones arent.

The part of the rule that they focus on and can enforce is impermissible benefits. So don’t let an “advisor” pay for a cup of coffee, a dinner, a drink, etc. Also no “hey we have these cleats for him” or “here’s a glove.” I agree that the rule needs to be updated and they actually did for college basketball by officially allowing players to test the waters with representation without losing eligibility.

I would also say, watching my son and a lot of his friends go through the process, not only are not all advisors the same but college coaches also act in very different (sometimes uncomfortable) ways. Son’s coaches were great but that wasn’t the case for all of his teammates and friends. Finally, and we made this mistake and ended up fixing it, there is no rush to even unofficially align yourself with anyone. Interview a lot of people. You will get a ton of information on the process and the advisor and his/her company through these interviews.  You will start to get a sense halfway through the HS season where your son really is and whether it makes sense to move further down the process.

Just read the memo which is relatively new. I agree with your stance; will be interesting to see if it is ever enforced except in egregious situations. To the letter, it is Incredibly disadvantageous to athletes who are going through this for the first time ever against college teams and/or MLB teams who have decades of experience, particularly if the school is playing hardball.

Ok…based on reading that document 100/100 top prospects I am sure have violated the policy and can not return to school. So what is the purpose of that? We can have NLI contracts but can’t have someone able to talk us through the pitfalls of the process where unless you are represented by Scott Boras, the teams have 100% of the advantage? NCAA hamstrings college baseball and fair treatment of athletes over the stupid 11.7 title IX issue, you think a kid should be able to ask for and receive some help and guidance

Last edited by 2019Lefty21

I agree 100% with 2019Lefty21 and PTWood. This is a life changing decision these teenagers are making and they should be able to avail themselves of the best advice/guidance out there. I also agree that nearly all of the top prospects break this rule. So why have it in the first place? I do not trust the NCAA and it’s history of arbitrary rules enforcement. There should be no confusion or uncertainty for student athletes and their families, but when you’ve established a system where some rules are enforced and others are not, that’s exactly what you have.

I agree 100% with 2019Lefty21 and PTWood. This is a life changing decision these teenagers are making and they should be able to avail themselves of the best advice/guidance out there. I also agree that nearly all of the top prospects break this rule. So why have it in the first place? I do not trust the NCAA and it’s history of arbitrary rules enforcement. There should be no confusion or uncertainty for student athletes and their families, but when you’ve established a system where some rules are enforced and others are not, that’s exactly what you have.

The obvious answer is because the NCAA as an entity and the schools individually don't give damn about your kid or any others.

To say @Baseball Dad 22 is overthinking this would be a gross understatement. The NCAA has for years done whatever they want without regard for the impact their decisions have on student athletes. Literally everything they do is in favor of the NCAA member schools. As a parent your job is to help your kid whenever it’s appropriate. This would be one of those times. Ignore the NCAA and do what’s best for your kid. Do your research and find a reputable advisor. Then align yourself with him and take precautions as you go to not step out of bounds.

It was the same with pre-NIL stuff.  I preached to my son not to do anything that would jeopardize his eligibility and to be above reproach in everything.  Then it changed and it is full steam ahead.  If you went by previous rules before NIL most top level players were breaking the rules.  NCAA has a lot of stupid rules when you read them in context.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.