Skip to main content

Hi all! My son is a 2024 catcher. He’s a big, strong kid at 6’2 220 with a lot of power. Good ranking and grade by PG and good metrics — 101 EV, sub 2 POP, 80 Catchers Velo—average to below speed (7.35).

His hitting has been solid but somewhat inconsistent over the last couple years and some of his throwing mechanics need refinement, but overall I am really proud to see where he’s at.

He’s being recruited by Air Force Academy right now, as apparently they can contact before the Sept 1 date. I guess the academies can recruit for baseball as early as July 1.

I am a retired Marine and our family has some significant military history so we are excited about this opportunity. Son is definitely interested and I am encouraging him, but I wanted some folks opinion on the academies.

Son’s in no rush to commit but definitely loves the discussions with AFA thus far.

My concern is that he may not have the same emphasis placed on baseball as other places. I’m also concerned that his significant off field commitments could make this tough. I know AFA did well this last year, playing real well in the Texas regional.

Thoughts/experiences with the academies in general? AFA in particular?

Thanks!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You don’t go to the Air Force Academy with baseball as your priority. The priority is military training and education. I suspect you know that. I know a player that’s currently on the AF roster. He was a contributor last year as a freshman but he almost didn’t make it thru the year. It takes a special kid to thrive at any of the service academies. You better know what you are signing up for. The AFA recruited me when I was in HS. I had just enough self awareness to realize that I didn’t have the discipline required to be successful there. So I took a traditional path and I have no regrets about that.

Adbono's advice is spot on.  My son is a catcher at the Naval Academy (and was recruited by AF) and I can tell you it is a very different experience than a regular college.  The baseball part is very similar, however.  They follow all the same rules regarding schedules, practice time, etc as any other NCAA D1 school.  Coaches recruit lots of players and have prioritized A, B and C players like other schools.  Coaches tell stories and you have to learn how to read between the lines, just like other schools.  Coaches are tough and demanding, just like other schools.  One area that is different is summer baseball - some guys play, but in my son's case he had Marine Leatherneck training and flight school this summer, so no baseball for him.  That's one of the many tradeoffs.  

Another thing my son had to get used to was that, as a catcher, he catches bullpens after practice, and many days they don't finish up until after the dining hall closes (at the Academies they all eat together).  He also isn't allowed to leave campus to get food and of course no deliveries are allowed.  He figured it out, and it's one of the many little things that are different but make you tougher and more resilient.

You didn't mention anything about grades and test scores, but their academic requirements are similar to Ivy schools.

My son loves it.  There are so many opportunities and so much training available to them (how many college kids learn how to fly and do a solo before graduation?).  But, it isn't for everyone.  There are so many sides to this so feel free to reach out to me if you'd like to discuss further.

@@adbono posted:

You don’t go to the Air Force Academy with baseball as your priority. The priority is military training and education. I suspect you know that.

A former student of mine (and HS teammate of son) , RHP, committed to one of the service academies. I was really surprised seeing his level of motivation in class, and what I knew of the transcript.  He was a nice kid. I talked to his mom, who thought the academy could give him the discipline he needed academically. He left the academy before Christmas his freshman year. I am not sure he finished the semester.

A second student I had in class 2 years ,went to the same academy to swim. Different story--he thrived there (while in HS he completed his homework every day--his tests looked like my answer key).

The OP's son won't have any problems in the classroom, but I think it is important to note the commitments, needed focus and responsibilities outside of baseball.

Last edited by Ripken Fan

Congratulations, Giff. It is an honor to be considered by one of the military academies. Echoing other comments - I know four kids who went this route. Two of the four were athletes, and both dropped their sport their freshman year.  Both stayed at the academy through graduation and loved it.

When resumes come into the firm I work for, the ones from military academies make the cut 100% of the time.

Giff,

Good to hear about your sons interest in the AF Academy, as well as being recruited.

HC Kaz is a phenomenal coach and builder of men.  He went to the Academy himself, played ball there, retired as an AF pilot, and has coached there a few different times.  He understands the challenges of cadet life and its affect on the baseball program.  He somehow motivates the players to compete in the classroom and ball field.  Lots of high gpa's on the team.  A very well funded program...and it's fun being transported by C130's and C17's to each and every game-tourney.

I work with congressional rep office selection committees for all the Academy's.  Can provide insight....

PM'd you

GOV;

The Air Force Academy is a beautiful environment. One of our Goodwill Series players sister is now a Air Force pilot after graduation from the Academy.

Have you read the book by Ann Keane "Cloudburst Nine" story of the Navy pilots in training at Chapel Hill, NC. Ted Williams, John Pesky and John Sain were Cadets and they played on the base baseball team in 1943.

Bob Williams

@Consultant posted:

GOV;

The Air Force Academy is a beautiful environment. One of our Goodwill Series players sister is now a Air Force pilot after graduation from the Academy.

Have you read the book by Ann Keane "Cloudburst Nine" story of the Navy pilots in training at Chapel Hill, NC. Ted Williams, John Pesky and John Sain were Cadets and they played on the base baseball team in 1943.

Bob Williams

Good stuff Bob.  I haven't read the book, but I'll find it.

Thank you

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.