Skip to main content

When I played college ball there wasn’t a proliferation of NCAA approved collegiate summer leagues. The three most known leagues were the Cape, Alaska and Jayhawk Leagues. I just looked up the Alaska and Jayhawk Leagues to discover they still exist. I’ve never seen them mentioned on the board. Do they have any relevance anymore? 

** The dream is free. Work ethic sold separately. **

Last edited by RJM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Don't know much about Jayhawk, but Alaska is still good. 

Mine had a choice between three leagues for this past summer, Alaska being one of them. He passed, the three hour ride to the closest team combined with 55 in July didn't really sell him on it. But looking at the would be roster, it may have been the best team he would have played for. He didn't end up playing summer ball with Covid.

I know he'd rather not play summer ball at all. He's a pitcher and if he's not playing in the Cape or NW he'd rather just do driveline and train on his own. From what I understand everybody hates summer ball and it's a huge waste of time if you're not a draft prospect or a young guy who didn't play and is trying to get reps. I can't imagine being in Alaska would make that situation much better. 

"From what I understand everybody hates summer ball and it's a huge waste of time if you're not a draft prospect or a young guy who didn't play and is trying to get reps".  I 100% disagree with this. I am not unbiased-I am the president of a team in the Valley League and Vice President of the League.  These guys play 2 months of baseball with no school, living with host families, and getting rock star treatment from area kids.   It is amazing how many players develop long term relationships with host families, sending mothers day cards, visiting, wedding invitations, etc.    Lots of our players have come through visiting after their college years are over.    Our players enjoy it and our community loves it.     Our league has anywhere from 25 to 50 former players drafted yearly, well over 1,000 in the league history. Those numbers will drop with the draft rounds reduced but whether or drafted or not, it has always seemed as  though our guys enjoy the experience.  (Old but fun true story: Many years ago, Our League President (then a GM) hosted John Kruk with the New Market team. Kruk was unable to play one night as the President's mother whacked him with a broom for spitting tobacco on her floor. She hit him so hard he had to take a night off. )

HokieOne:

as you know my son played 2 years at Waynesboro and he learned the game because of the competition and the Coaches. He also learned survival as he worked at the Police Training Academy. Your League is "outstanding"!!!

Because of his experience in the games and photo memory of every pitcher, 2 years later in the NCAA Regional Tournament he faced the pitcher from the Valley League now pitching for U Arizona and he was successful with 4 hits and his team U of Hawaii was the winner.

True Story!!!

Bob

@hokieone posted:

"From what I understand everybody hates summer ball and it's a huge waste of time if you're not a draft prospect or a young guy who didn't play and is trying to get reps".  I 100% disagree with this.

Wasn't a knock on you, your league or any others, but the feedback you get from players is going to be different from the conversations the players have with each other, with their parents, teammates, etc.

I'm sure plenty enjoy it. But a lot more would rather be at the beach, the lake, working, making money, etc. By the time July hits they're ready to go home. Sure they've made friendships and met some great people, but a lot would rather be getting rock star treatment at the bar on a Friday night than rock star treatment from the area kids before a three hour bus ride back. I saw a video of a walk off HR in a collegiate league. The losing team started celebrating in the field because they missed the playoffs and got to go home early.

I had three kids over my house right before school started. Two played in the Northwoods, one in another league. The NW kids made friends, loved their host families, but were mentally checked out from the whole thing by July 4. The other got injured and came home, he was the envy of the rest of the team.

Sometimes it's as simple as wanting to walk around the house in boxers and be able to make a mess without having to worry about the other family you live with. Sometimes it's the social aspect. Sometimes its the living across the country and playing 58 games in 60 days. Nothing personal, but a lot of the times college kids want to be college kids.

Playing 58 games in 60 days and traveling in summer ball is a taste of what goes on at the milb level.  It's a good judge for some of how they might enjoy or might not enjoy milb life.

So while some kids just want to lay around in their boxer shorts, in the privacy of their own  home, there are others that have a huge desire to get better by playing and see another side of the game. If you want to work, in some leagues you can.  And many folks, like myself prefer that their sons are off keeping busy playing the game rather than playing video games or hanging out at bars.

JMO

TPM and I agree on this.  it is a real representation of MILB life.  If you don't like summer league life then you won't like MILB life.  It is for some and not for others and it is hard to know until you try it.

When youngest son played for Kansas City Royals Scout Team they wanted to give them a real life representation of minor league life.  No parents were allowed to go with team and they preferred we did not stay at the same motel.  They wanted kids to see what life was like before they had to truly experience it.  The only difference was they ate good, stayed at great hotels, and had first class transportation.  But they did try to replicate the daily routine of a minor league player.  Some liked it and others thought it sucked.

I think a lot is lost these days when players travel with parents.

For 2 summers in HS, you had to travel with team, not parents, they could join you on the road, but you had to eat meals with team and given some time to spend with them, but not much with parents. Most parents worked so they could not travel anyway. First summer team made Connie Mack Regionals in Memphis. Night before a hurricane rolled past the side of town they were to stay in. No electricity. While other teams found places with electricity, his coach said we are staying. 2 days with no electricity. Kids loved the adventure and had a blast. Son still talks about it.

It's easy to understand why so many of Coach Roberts players went on to play in top P5 programs as well as pro ball. 

I'm heading to Alaska this summer for the Chugiak Eagle River Chinooks, the Athletes in Action sponsored team.

After freshman year summer, I was in the WCL. While there are many people who rag on summer ball, it was such a great experience. I had so much fun and met a ton of guys who I would have never met. Great host family with a 13 year old kid who was fired up to have me there.

It's all about taking advantage of what you're given. If you tell yourself it's a blessing, then it's a great experience.

@TPM posted:

Playing 58 games in 60 days and traveling in summer ball is a taste of what goes on at the milb level.  It's a good judge for some of how they might enjoy or might not enjoy milb life.

So while some kids just want to lay around in their boxer shorts, in the privacy of their own  home, there are others that have a huge desire to get better by playing and see another side of the game. If you want to work, in some leagues you can.  And many folks, like myself prefer that their sons are off keeping busy playing the game rather than playing video games or hanging out at bars.

I hear you and I don't disagree. The point was more to say if you're not a draft guy or a younger guy looking to get reps before fall ball it was largely a waste for the rest. It has nothing to do with the memories or the people you meet, has more to do with the - rather be doing something else - mentality.

There is a twitter page for college baseball. Shows the not so glamorous side of college ball. It's silly and a lot of it is dumb but it's pretty funny as well. I get sent some of their videos. Once June hits there are a ton of posts about summer ball. Overall theme is: when does this end

@PitchingFan posted:

TPM and I agree on this.  it is a real representation of MILB life.  If you don't like summer league life then you won't like MILB life.  It is for some and not for others and it is hard to know until you try it.

When youngest son played for Kansas City Royals Scout Team they wanted to give them a real life representation of minor league life.  No parents were allowed to go with team and they preferred we did not stay at the same motel.  They wanted kids to see what life was like before they had to truly experience it.  The only difference was they ate good, stayed at great hotels, and had first class transportation.  But they did try to replicate the daily routine of a minor league player.  Some liked it and others thought it sucked.

Some who liked it might have changed their minds after a few EconoLodges and minor league meal money.

Alaska gets some very good players.  Check out the team sites and the number of players drafted from teams like the Matsu Miners.  In addition to very good baseball, the sites and experiences on the off days cannot have a value placed on them. Golfing at 2am because the sun is still up or catching a salmon in a creek for dinner or heading up to the glacier, etc

As a AK Resident,

I see the ABL play every year and every year they have kids that come from every level (DI to NAIA & JUCO). Great players on most teams as well. Asa Lacy in the last season played up here before COVID for the Miners.

As a parent of a 2021, his future coaches wanted him to play in a collegiate league down south near his future school. When 21 told them that he was going to be on a roster for a ABL team, they were happy and told him to stay up here. ABL teams can carry collegiate or future collegiate locals without it counting on their roster.

if they were happy with that , I'm going to say they think it's a good league..

Last edited by Alaskan

This ranking was from Collegiate Summer Baseball Network

https://csbn.co/top-10-leagues-2019.html

Note, there is another ranking report, I don't know the source

http://pgcbl.com/news/index.html?article_id=1473

I think the second link is probably more accurate with the Northwoods League at #2 rather than #9.

I tried to get my son to consider Alaska (I needed a reason to go visit!), but he chose NWL, and he absolutely loved the grind.  FWIW- his team was heavily scouted, which I am not sure the Alaska teams are?

Last edited by keewart
@keewart posted:

I think the second link is probably more accurate with the Northwoods League at #2 rather than #9.

I tried to get my son to consider Alaska (I needed a reason to go visit!), but he chose NWL, and he absolutely loved the grind.  FWIW- his team was heavily scouted, which I am not sure the Alaska teams are?

It seems the second link might be a old article from Perfect Game.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Ar...w.aspx?article=10485

If Collegiate Summer Baseball Network has the relevant data points and the criteria of ranking league is feasible then the top 10 realistic.

https://csbn.co/top-10-leagues-2019.html

Or asked a different way, what criteria would you use to determine a leagues ranking?

@Eokerholm posted:

Nice summary of each....

These are all very good leagues but FWIW I don’t agree with they way they have been ranked. Alaska is way too high on the list and Northwoods is way too low. I would reverse the rankings on those two. IMO the CCL is ranked too low also. I have issues with the scoring system they use to assign points to players. I don’t think it accurately represents the talent in each league. But you can’t go wrong with any of the 10 leagues mentioned and if the opportunity presents to play in any of them I advise jumping on it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.