Skip to main content

My son received an email that he was personally invited to the All Star Academy mid-atlantic showcase in June. Anyone have any experience with this event? Is it worth while? Is it really a personal invite or first come first served?  They claim that over 81% that have attended have gone on to play D1
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Is it still held at the Villanova field? My son did it six years ago. He was sent an invite. But I believe its because ASBA people knew him and me.  There were a lot of coaches there from all over the Mid Atlantic area.. As I remember it wasn't expensive compared to other showcases. I have no idea regarding the breakdown of where kids go to play from this event. Based on what I saw six years ago 81% to D1 seems high. It wasn't invite only six years ago. The event could have changed. 

Originally Posted by BC24:
So would you recommend doing selectFest rather than Top 100?

I don't have any personal experience with either, so I'm not making a recommendation (I've never heard anything negative about either one). Like any showcase, it's a very personal decision. Are your target schools going to be there? Do they want to see you there? What works with your schedule and budget?

My son did both six years ago. At that point in time Select Fest was far superior. A poster mentioned Atlantic 100 has become more like Select Fest. My inclination would be to go with the more established program. I will say ASBA, connected to A100 is an established, quality organization. As one poster stated what's most important is having your target schools in attendance. Only jaw dropping, potential top round draft choices can afford to throw spaghetti off the wall to see what sticks.

Originally Posted by RJM:

My son did both six years ago. At that point in time Select Fest was far superior. A poster mentioned Atlantic 100 has become more like Select Fest. My inclination would be to go with the more established program. I will say ASBA, connected to A100 is an established, quality organization. As one poster stated what's most important is having your target schools in attendance. Only jaw dropping, potential top round draft choices can afford to throw spaghetti off the wall to see what sticks.

Did your son get any offers from attending?  How many players attended?  

Originally Posted by playball2011:
Originally Posted by RJM:

Did your son get any offers from attending?  How many players attended?  

I can't remember the attendance count. I do remember it was a workable number. My son went after soph year. It got him on some radar screens. He missed the following summer and fall with an injury. My son's situation was a bit unique. Due to his injury he ultimately walked on with a recommendation from his travel coach (former college coach/pro scout) he has healthy again to a program that saw him at Select Fest.

From what another poster stated it sounds like A100 may have changed from a regional showcase to a D1 showcase. I remember it being all three levels from NY to VA.

Last edited by RJM

I'm a bit late looking at this thread, but I've had experience with these events both through by sons' baseball travels, and many other players I've tutored over the past six years (I try to persoanlly attend both events every year).  The Top 100 and Select Fest represent some of the very best exposure that money can buy in my opinion, great "bang for the buck" value in either case, two of the best early summer exposure opportunities on the East Coast.  As indicated, they are invite-only events so that helps to ensure the overall quality of talent in attendance which, in turn, has attracted a bevy of college coaches (estimated 70-80 schools at Top 100, more usually at Select Fest).  In more recent years, I've seen a broader variety of schools on hand including more DII and DIII programs which suggests that some of these recruiters are jumping on the bandwagon earlier in the process than in the past in order to begin targeting players sooner than later. 

If you earn an invitation to either of these events, I strongly suggest you consider attending (unless you have already signficantly narrowed your college possibilities, and will primarily focus on a select target list of college camps that truly reflect your Recruiting DNA, i.e, your student-athlete profile)...and participate in both opportunities if possible, a ton of college exposure possible in a very short period of time especially to kickoff the summer exposure circuit.  Not an easy invite to earn in either instance, many players don't have access to these opportunities so, if you are invited, I think you would be hard-pressed to find better early season, individual exposure events in the Northeast/MidAtlantic regions.  Another potentially excellent showcase option in June here in my neck of the woods is the Perfect Game Sunshine Northeast, historically a very strong event as well! 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.