Skip to main content

With all the baseball "brains" on this site it amazes me that nobody picked on Johnny Damon's play on the bases in the 9th inning last nite---he changed the entire game with his at bat and then the baserunning alertness- He simply locked his place in Yankee World Series Lore
TRhit THE KIDS TODAY DO NOT THROW ENOUGH !!!!! www.collegeselect-trhit.blogspot.com
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I agree, it was a great play.

I also think that this will be an example and a start of Major League teams beginning to dwindle and somewhat eliminate the dramatic shift they put on certain players. Its only a matter of time before these guys wake up and realize all they need to do is lay down a half decent bunt down the line (or thereabouts) once in a blue moon to get teams cautious of shifting. It's only a matter of time that genius baserunning like Damon's last night and these power hitters waking up a bit will basically eliminate the shift. At least that's my opinion.
TR, interesting post.
At the time, I agreed with your view. He completely changed that game with that play.
This morning I listened to Bobby Valentine.
While he did not take away from Damon's play, boy did he provide some commentary on the Phillies, Lidge and their manager.
He pointed out how Lidge threw mostly sliders up to the AB with Damon, to get 2 outs. Damon then made him adjust and throw fastballs, not his best pitch.
Ran on the slider. When he got to 3rd, Lidge went completely away from his slider and Arod beat him with the FB, not his best pitch.
Valentine's point was when you get to that level and that point in the game, no one takes you out of your game and your best pitch.
If they do, then Charlie should have walked out there and either removed Lidge or the catcher, whoever would not call the slider for apparent fear of a PB/WP.
Sometimes I think you just say the other guy did his job and congratulate him. That was my view on Damon's play, until I heard Valentine.
To an extent, Damon really did his job in taking Lidge away from his "out" and best pitch. On the other hand, Lidge let him do it.
Can't argue, Damon changed the game forcing Lidge to abandon his best pitch after a long at bat, once Lidge gave into the hitter, he was at the mercy of those that followed.

Incredible at bat by Damon, awesome base running, he got the job done, Lidge didn't.

The question I am asking is why did Lidge not continue to throw his slider after that at bat, why didn't the manager come out, why did the catcher call for FB only, unless there is a reason.

Lidge has been too inconsistant this year for an experienced pitcher, possibly having some arm issues and just trying to get through the year? When a pitcher is having arm issues, isn't the FB the least painful and bothersome to throw (with decreased velocity).

I was thinking that the Yankees would give up the game tonight to return home to win the series, anyone else agree?
Last edited by TPM
Damon is a gamer. plays the game hard and plays it right. That was as heads-up a play you'll see and a teriffic AB. Damon along with Jeter is having a great post-season.

Then on the other end of the spectrum is Robinson Cano. This guy is such a chucklehead and a mental midget and is a huge liability in the playoffs. He's a soft player who has zero baseball smarts and can't play in big games. and to make it worse, the last couple games in the world series he is lazy on defense. With that, he's totally useless who's nothing more than a compiler of numbers who can't do it in the big spot.

I never was a Cano fan and never will be.

Cano should pay attention to players like Damon.
Last edited by zombywoof
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
infielddad

The point is that Damon made Lidge do what he did--and where was Lidge when it came to covering third base ?

Strangely enough, Charlie, in his post game interview, said the Phillies use the catcher to cover third when they have the shift on, not the pitcher. "There was a miscommunication," according to Charlie.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.