Skip to main content

My 2010 son received his first questionnaire from a pro scout.

My son is probably in a different position than most in that he hasn't been offered a baseball scholarship nor has he committed to a college at all. His academics are really good.

He has plenty of people (coaches, fellow players, parents), excited about him playing college baseball, but he only wants to play if it does not get in the way of getting a good education.

So, now the pro questionaire is asking some pretty sticky questions, and I want him to answer as honestly as possible. The medical part is not an issue as he hasn't had injuries or medical issues. There are questions about advisors, expected bonus dollar amounts, his willingness to skip college if drafted, rating his desire to be a pro baseball player, etc. I think if he answers the questions honestly, he will come across as someone that wouldn't even consider going pro out of high school.

Will this chase away any future interest from pro scouts? Wouldn't being persued by a pro scout help in his effort to get interest from a college? Should he fudge a little in his answers to keep the door open, or should he be brutally honest? I also think that kids his age do change their minds, so I hate to chase off his chance if he does change his mind.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

"He has plenty of people (coaches, fellow players, parents), excited about him playing college baseball, but he only wants to play if it does not get in the way of getting a good education."

Does he want to be drafted and play pro ball? Just answer the questions honestly. Sounds like he is more interested in attending college and getting an education
The life in minor league is not one to be entered into lightly Smile
You may receive a myriad of advice here, but what it boils down to, is that you need to hand that piece of paper over to someone who asked some very pointed questions. Are you comfortable with how you answered them?

PG, and others have echoed, that not everyone needs to like you, interest only takes one person. My son was very much that kid. Some scouts thought very highly while others never considered him a prospect.

From the reality of where we sit now, our candor with the scouts was comfortable for us. Son was committed to a very good academic institution and even the scout that liked him the most knew that Junior was not yet good enough to pay enough to draw him away from that. When we filled out his questionnaire and was honest with him about the $ it would take to get Junior to forgo school, our relationship went to a new level. He flat out told me there was no way Junior was worth that much, and I told him that we knew that. He appreciated our honesty and has since then been a good source of advice.

In my mind, a kid is what he is. Will he allow a 50K bonus to lure him away from college? Would it be 200K as the threshold? You need to sort this out so that you aren't emotional about it. Then be honest...because you wouldn't want to tell him your threshold and then not sign for it if they drafted you because you were just trying to keep up interest.

JMHO's

You should be thrilled that Junior is drawing that kind of interest, congratulations.
It sounds like your son has his head on straight.

The chances of him making money playing the game of baseball is so small that the education is the best way to take it. I always told my son to use baseball to get what you want. That education will serve him much better than the signing bonus that Uncle Sam taxes to death ever will. Not sure how good your son is, but unless it is life-changing money that is offered, go with the education. It's a no loose situation.
quote:
Will this chase away any future interest from pro scouts? Wouldn't being persued by a pro scout help in his effort to get interest from a college? Should he fudge a little in his answers to keep the door open, or should he be brutally honest? I also think that kids his age do change their minds, so I hate to chase off his chance if he does change his mind.

Answer the questions honestly.They ask what they ask for a reason.Most these guys know if the player is a good student it most likely will take more money to get them to forgo.(jmo: not 100% always the case)

A teammate of my son forgo a full ride to a very expensive D1, and went pro for under 50,000.He had already spent three years playing college ball, was 21 and thought he was getting too old to put it off any longer.

The scouts are trying to gather their info. so when draft day comes they know who will most likely sign and who will not.

Most likely your son may get a pro work out invite from the scout teams that have him fill out the information.

And many of these scouts know college coaches.Many help these guys find players.If you have a resume you send out you can add that you filled out a pro form and that they have been in contact with you.Also put on there any try outs you go to for pro teams.

But Honesty is good.Best policy always.
Last edited by fanofgame
If you don't have a solid answer to a question just write "don't know at this time", or some other artful phrase.

Can you honestly tell the scout which round you expect to go before you play the spring season? Most can't, and if the club is interested the scout will ask for clarification later on...

It would be helpful to start having a discussions with your son about how much money it would take to go pro. That way you're not trying to come up with an answer at the end of May for the scouts and/or college coaches. (i.e. college coach would want to know how much your son is asking for so he can figure out whether or not its worth his effort to pursue him.)
quote:
Originally posted by Blprkfrnks:
I was also hoping this wouldn't debate pro vs. college.

My last paragraph is what I'm interested in.

Be honest, regardless of whether he's been signed or not, that is very important. If his answers seem to appear as if college is more important and he is considered "unsignable", than that is the way it is meant to be. njbb is correct, life in the minor leagues is not one to be entered lightly.
Last edited by TPM
Now that I have the form in front of me, here are some of the tough questions:

What round do you expect to be drafted in.

If selected, who would represent you (Advisor?).

What are your parents thoughts about playing pro ball out of HS.

Do you have a definite plan to attend a 4-year college.

On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your desire to play pro baseball.
No one can tell you how to answer the questions, you need to sit down with your son, make sure he understands the draft, and what he wants to answer and be realistic and honest.
If you have no advisor, put N/A, if he wants to be drafted in a certain round,put it down, if he wants to attend college put that down, put down your opinion on his playing pro ball.
Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.