Skip to main content

At first glance the coaches and medical staff are much more at risk than the players.  If Football is played then the coaching staff & medical staff should keep their distance from the players, except for obviously during injuries.

Many of the linemen, however, do qualify as obese and may be at risk for complications.  It’s a tough call...

The echo effect on Baseball programs will be huge, unfortunately.

@RJM posted:

It’s not just about death. It’s about widespread passing of COVID. After playing none of those players returned to a 10,000 to 40,000 student campus with dorms, classrooms, cafeterias and a social life.

MLB is having trouble keeping older, supposedly more mature players and COVID under control. I can’t see how college campuses with thousands of students would be a better environment. 

I’m all for frying to get kids back on campus and in the classroom. But I don’t believe colleges are ready for sports.

Thanks for answering. I wish people would stop comparing HS baseball to college and professional sports.  

Let me just say that the outcry around the country today reminds me a lot of parenting my children. Lots of time they wanted beach days but hadn't done their work in the classroom or around the house. They didn't get those beach days.

America didn't do the work necessary to safely play college football this fall. I hope we react to this like adults and figure out what went wrong and then fix those problems, even if the solution is difficult or unpleasant. 

Or, we can react like children and shout louder in the hopes that reality will magically change. 

It won't.

@OskiSD posted:

Let me just say that the outcry around the country today reminds me a lot of parenting my children. Lots of time they wanted beach days but hadn't done their work in the classroom or around the house. They didn't get those beach days.

America didn't do the work necessary to safely play college football this fall. I hope we react to this like adults and figure out what went wrong and then fix those problems, even if the solution is difficult or unpleasant. 

Or, we can react like children and shout louder in the hopes that reality will magically change. 

It won't.

With all due respect;  gack...........I feel like coughing up a big hairball after reading that tripe.

I don't think that saying America didn't do the work necessary to safely play college football this fall is fair or accurate.  For starters, there is not a consensus on what "safely playing" means or looks like.  While convenient, the highly complex nature of all of this isn't well-defined by general statements easily typed into a message board field.  I'm mostly seeing the equivalent of "we'll know it when we see it" more than anything concrete or mathematical.  Vague, subjective statements like yours @OskiSD are non-starters for forward movement.  

@OskiSD says "I hope we react to this like adults and figure out what went wrong and then fix those problems, even if the solution is difficult or unpleasant."  If you truly mean this statement, then bravo.  Just so long as you'll concede that what went wrong is HIGHLY complex, up for debate, and that you're just as open to difficult and unpleasant solutions that are difficult and unpleasant for YOU to accept as well. 

@OskiSD posted:

It won't.

"We" don't deserve sports because "we" didn't do what exactly?  Wow.....

Your superior tone is pretty remarkable, who made you the parent in this scenario?  Perhaps someone could turn on your night light so you are not afraid of the dark?

@OskiSD posted:

It won't.

Perhaps the most ambiguous, annoying, and meaningless word that has been constantly associated with Covid is when taking heads in the media as well as ordinary folks use the word "safe" in connection with decision making.

Newsflash...there is no such thing as "safe" for Covid or anything else in life if what one means by safe is 0% harm. Instead of repeatedly using this meaningless word when offering opinions on what or what not to do, it would be more useful if people would quantify what they view as acceptable risk from Covid because this would then enable a constructive comparison with other everyday risks that people have to live with. Of course, forcing someone to quantify what they view as acceptable or unacceptable risk runs the risk that their anxiety over Covid is silly and irrational in comparison to the other risks that they willingly endure everyday of their lives pre-Covid.

Last edited by Zoom 2020

"A rare heart condition that could be linked with the coronavirus is fueling concern among Power 5 conference administrators about the viability of college sports this fall.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.

The condition is usually caused by a viral infection, including those that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza or mononucleosis. Left undiagnosed and untreated, it can cause heart damage and sudden cardiac arrest, which can be fatal. It is a rare condition, but the COVID-19 virus has been linked with myocarditis with a higher frequency than other viruses, based on limited studies and anecdotal evidence since the start of the pandemic."

From ESPN.

Reports are, and I believe the Red Sox confirmed  one of its pitchers is impacted. The very first reported death in the US in February of 2020 is now positively linked to heart damage from COVID (in a person under age 60).  In an earlier thread I had posted how medical science is still grapling with this disease and the consequences it has for a number of those infected (not only the elderly.)  Also posted about a friend who completed the Iron Man in 2018 and was just released after spending nearly 12 weeks in ICU and on a ventilator.

Not sure where or when some citizens in our Country decided they get to decide for  those who might be at "greater risk" or that  those with "risk" did not also share the same right to "life, liberty, etc" that is  to be shared by all.  Just because an individual decides they "accept the risk" does not translate they get to share and spread the infection nor does that "acceptance of risk" allow anyone to dictate how others need to act to "mitigate" or "protect" from the risk created by the person who "assumed it."

State's rights can be of interest on some issues.  This is not one, however, as a National Emergency and even a "declaration of war" have come from the mouths of leaders who now try to duck and cover under an "ineffective" State's rights/responsibility illusion. 

It’s like when people say, if even one football player dies...are you ok with that? It’s sad but one is going to die, probably more than one and the data shows that it will most likely be from one of many things OTHER than Covid.  It’s like asking if one person dies in a car accident, is that an acceptable risk.  Everyone agrees it is and it’s far more of a risk to these kids than COVID.  

@OskiSD posted:

It won't.

What was the necessary work and the expected outcome of that work? Did you think we’d get to a point where sports would be played and there would be zero outbreaks with college teams? The NBA is having zero outbreaks because they did the work by spending hundreds of millions to create an acceptable environment. That isn’t realistic for college sports. 

What do you mean its the players who decided that they don't want to sacrifice their health so that the schools can fill the classrooms?  I see student athletes demanding to play and I only know a few students who don't feel comfortable going back to campuses.   And yes the youth discount the risks but every parent who is paying to send kids back is also making the same risk calculation. 

Heard Desantis this morning on outkick radio.  That guy is awesome.  Florida is fortunate to have such a great Governor.  Also if anyone is tired of ESPN Radio try outkick.com and outkick radio.  It at least provides a different point of view on things.  ESPN is tough to watch or listen too in my opinion.

Boy you hit the nail in the head with your comments about ESPN being tough to watch and/or listen to. What a bunch of cardboard cut out toe the company line shills they have turned into. 

@infielddad posted:

"A rare heart condition that could be linked with the coronavirus is fueling concern among Power 5 conference administrators about the viability of college sports this fall.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.

The condition is usually caused by a viral infection, including those that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza or mononucleosis. Left undiagnosed and untreated, it can cause heart damage and sudden cardiac arrest, which can be fatal. It is a rare condition, but the COVID-19 virus has been linked with myocarditis with a higher frequency than other viruses, based on limited studies and anecdotal evidence since the start of the pandemic."

From ESPN.

Reports are, and I believe the Red Sox confirmed  one of its pitchers is impacted. The very first reported death in the US in February of 2020 is now positively linked to heart damage from COVID (in a person under age 60).  In an earlier thread I had posted how medical science is still grapling with this disease and the consequences it has for a number of those infected (not only the elderly.)  Also posted about a friend who completed the Iron Man in 2018 and was just released after spending nearly 12 weeks in ICU and on a ventilator.

Not sure where or when some citizens in our Country decided they get to decide for  those who might be at "greater risk" or that  those with "risk" did not also share the same right to "life, liberty, etc" that is  to be shared by all.  Just because an individual decides they "accept the risk" does not translate they get to share and spread the infection nor does that "acceptance of risk" allow anyone to dictate how others need to act to "mitigate" or "protect" from the risk created by the person who "assumed it."

State's rights can be of interest on some issues.  This is not one, however, as a National Emergency and even a "declaration of war" have come from the mouths of leaders who now try to duck and cover under an "ineffective" State's rights/responsibility illusion. 

This is not new.   Myocarditis caused by viruses causing heart attacks in athletes is a risk.   It's an elevated risk due to the novel virus.  I think we have to acknowledge that point but why is this new news to the commissioners or presidents.   This is already known, where they all just derelict in their responsibilities.  I will also comment that I have read that doctors/trainers are told to look for signs, they know how to screen and again it's not new.  What is new is using this as a reason with hopes that people cut and past to push the narrative.  

I'm so tired of people saying that we should not have youth and college sports because of the effect it could have on the older people.  The coaches can coach from a glass cubicle in high school and college.  They may not like it but they can.  They can wear full suits if they have a low immune system.  I have said about most things that people (adults) say right now about school and sports.  They say we want to do what is best for the kids but that is not true.  They really want to do what is best for the adults involved not the students.  They are not really worried about the kids going back to school but the teachers and administrators.  Put the teachers in a glass cubicle and let them teach.  But let the students who we have proved have very low rates of it live their lives. 

A coach who comes down with it can call plays from their living room, I do it every Saturday and I'm better than most of them.  (Don't believe me just look at my record on Madden, Obviously joking but it is reality).  The coaches who get sick or think they will get sick can coach some other way so please stop talking about what could happen to coaches, or trainers, or referees or on and on.  Almost all of them can do their paid job some other way or with safety equipment.  Let it truly be about the players and let them play. 

I don't do church right now the same way with senior adults that I do with youth and some don't like it but that is life.  I care about our senior adults but I also care about our youth.  Our youth do live services and our senior adults do FB live or drive-in unless they choose to come to the sanctuary.  I personally am going above and beyond to meet the needs of both groups which I think schools can do also.

O.k., come on - really what the colleges are seeing is that some MLB teams are shut down because of cases.  They can see that this would happen to many college sports teams.  Right now they are not travelling - what is going to happen when they put a whole football team on a plane, to get to a ridiculously far-off conference opponent?  Or, two or three planes, to allow for distancing?  And then buses to and from the airports?  They can see what will happen, and why pay all that money for travel, hotels, etc., only to be shut down after a couple of games anyway? 

They should have scrapped conference play, and only played local.  Use school buses with open windows.  Coaches and staff drive themselves.  No, it's not the accustomed luxury, but it's playing.  There are creative ways to do everything, but most institutions aren't taking them, they have this idea it has to be all or nothing. 

They never worried about concussions, so I don't see why they would worry about myocarditis.

@Go44dad posted:

https://twitter.com/philsteele...947882958520321?s=20

"Nebraska to lose $80 million to $120 million if season isn't played..."

That's a lot of baseballs and mound dirt.

Got to love Scott Frost.  Telling like it is.  Telling us just like Adbono did.  There are consequences we haven't imagined yet.  If conferences elect not to play, I hope some schools do go rogue and create a season.

Just saw this and I am surprised.  I keep thinking 3-5% of returning students will have Covid.

Notre Dame University, in concert with LabCorp, conducted nearly 12,000 pre-matriculation COVID-19 tests of students before the start of classes on campus today, with less than one-third of 1 percent testing positive.

99.7% tested negative.  

https://news.nd.edu/news/99-7-...returning-to-campus/

This is not new.   Myocarditis caused by viruses causing heart attacks in athletes is a risk.   It's an elevated risk due to the novel virus.  I think we have to acknowledge that point but why is this new news to the commissioners or presidents.   This is already known, where they all just derelict in their responsibilities.  I will also comment that I have read that doctors/trainers are told to look for signs, they know how to screen and again it's not new.  What is new is using this as a reason with hopes that people cut and past to push the narrative.  

Oh ho hum. Just a heart infection. Everyone knows that.  I read back through this thread and didn't see it mentioned in relation to the "flu," "car accidents" etc.  To acknowledge it is an elevated risk for athletes due but then downplay it makes no sense. Very few know this, especially the athletes and their parents or families who will deal with it.

I would be willing to link the coroner's report from the first death where COVID was actually found in the heart muscle and was noted to have stressed the muscle to the point of rupture (along with other organ impact). Not sure anyone wants to read it though because it would show this infection "ain't the flu" and it is tough to read.

Ho Hum. Nope. not a good idea.

Last edited by infielddad
@infielddad posted:

Oh ho hum. Just a heart infection. Everyone knows that.  I read back through this thread and didn't see it mentioned in relation to the "flu," "car accidents" etc.  To acknowledge it is an elevated risk for athletes due but then downplay it makes no sense. Very few know this, especially the athletes and their parents or families who will deal with it.

I would be willing to link the coroner's report from the first death where COVID was actually found in the heart muscle and was noted to have stressed the muscle to the point of rupture (along with other organ impact). Not sure anyone wants to read it though because it would show this infection "ain't the flu" and it is tough to read.

You selectively read.  I do acknowledge it is an elevated risk as you point out but I also explain that there is a known correlation between viruses and myocarditis and that docs are trained to look for it and screen for it.   So my point is elevated risk but with known mitigation techniques.  If the Big 10 doesn't want to play football due to their assessment of those risks that is up to them.   My position seems reasonable to me but perhaps not to you but that's what makes a market man.  Just wanted to be clear(er) on my position.

Right now they are not travelling - what is going to happen when they put a whole football team on a plane, to get to a ridiculously far-off conference opponent?  Or, two or three planes, to allow for distancing?  And then buses to and from the airports?  They can see what will happen, and why pay all that money for travel, hotels, etc., only to be shut down after a couple of games anyway? 

They should have scrapped conference play, and only played local. 

The money spent on flights and hotels won't put a dent in the money they make from the tv revenue. Playing 3 games is better than playing 0. 

I think football should be played. But I also agree that they should play locally. Penn St can't travel 100 miles to Pitt, but they can hop on a flight and play Nebraska? 

South Carolina can't play Clemson but they can play Texas A&M? 

This is why people question the validity of the rules put into place. They don't make sense a lot of the time. What sounds good is done, not what makes sense. 

@22and25 posted:

Yep, definitely the adult in the room.  Tell us what else we don't deserve daddy🙄

Serious q - do you not understand the relationship between our failure to get this under control and the cancellation of the CFB season? Do you not understand that our collective failure to follow guidance on masks etc and indulge in conspiracy theories has made the pandemic worse?  

@infielddad posted:

So what you are saying is, that if a kid decides to play his chances of getting covid, and developing a heart condition are greater than if he stays home? Because if he stays home he's not going to hang with friends, go to bars/parties, etc. Because college age kids don't do those things right? Prove to me that their chances of getting sick are greater at school than at home. 

@OskiSD posted:

Serious q - do you not understand the relationship between our failure to get this under control and the cancellation of the CFB season? Do you not understand that our collective failure to follow guidance on masks etc and indulge in conspiracy theories has made the pandemic worse?  

Serious question back at you....out of control says who?  What, specifically, is out of control?  Infection rates, hospitalizations, deaths?  We, myself included, have taken steps to mitigate spread.  It was done to flatten the curve (remember that?), which was the last reasonable goal anyone has set.  We achieved that goal.  Hospitals are well within capacity, death rates are declining despite exponentially more confirmed positive cases.  Treatments are improving, mortality is less than 1% and falling and a fraction of a percent for people under 50 years old.

So tell us sir, in your world, what does under control look like?  

And you will have to enlighten me on the conspiracy theories, which ones are you attributing to me exactly ?

Last edited by 22and25
Link copied to your clipboard.