Skip to main content

I am a catching coach that is having a brain cramp with a math/physics problem. I'm not sure what discipline this fits best so I am submitting it to the Math and Science posters on this forum. It relates to how to set up an equation I can use to determine how long will it take a ball to travel a set distance knowing the initial velocity and how fast the ball is slowing down in flight.

The details are as follows:

Problem#1: Determine how long it will take a baseball to travel 130 feet when:

Release (initial) velocity is 75mph
The ball’s velocity drops 1 mph for every 10 feet it travels.
Need answer in seconds to 2 decimal places.

Problem#2: Determine how long it will take a softball to travel 88 feet when:

Release (initial) velocity is 58mph

Then a formula I can load into an Excel spreadsheet to calculate this as needed as the initial velocity changes
Kid with a 90MPH fastball......Potential Kid with a 90MPH fastball and a great catcher....Results
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is a speed, distance, time problem

rule of thumb always work in the values you're trying to find. In this case seconds, so you need to convert he distances to seconds.

Here's a calculator that will give you your answers, just plug in the right numbers

Here's the Algebra Website with the formulas needed to do the algebraic representation of distance.

The simple formula for distance time and speed is http://www.purplemath.com/modules/distance.htm

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/speed_distance_time_calc.html
Last edited by Ramrod
It is easy to do but sadly my mesure arent the same as yours... I use meters and seconds km/h in my calculs. But there are some equation that can maybe help you. It is 11h30 so I'm tired and I dont want to transfer all the mesures but maybe tomorow after a good rest I will!!!

final speed = initial speed + (acceleration * time)

final speed^2 = initial speed^2 + (2 * acceleration * distance)

and the other one I dont really remember

final speed = initial speed + (acceleration * time) = (2 * acceleration * time / 2 )

BUT all of my formulas are ... speed : meter/second , acceleration : meter/second^2 , time : second and distance : meter

hope it help

Franck
quote:
Originally posted by Mike F:
Catching Coach,

But I'm curious about what you need the information for.

Thanks,

Mike F

Mike,

I have done a great amount of study on the time it takes catcher to get the ball in the air when making the throw to 2nd. I devised a drill a number of years ago that has enabled me to evaluate both major components of the throw to 2nd. The release and inflight MPH, and the actual relase time from glove to release. The drill was featured on the Jugs Website last year. See the link below.

Timing Release

What I want to be able to do is determine what a catchers likely POP time will be down to 2nd by just timing his release and his MPH at release. This information will be valuable here in New England where it is impossible during the winter months to get a chance to throw to 2nd indoors. If I have the MPH at release point, and the actual elapsed time of the release itself, the formula will tell me the actual time the ball will take to get to 2nd. This will allow me to chart a players training progress during the winter and be able to give the player a realistic expectation of what his actual time will be once he gets outside.
I'm not a math teacher, but I'm pretty good at figgering stuff out. I think you can pretty closely approximate the time it would take the ball to l30 feet given your parameters. I'll bet the approximization is pretty darn close.

Here's the formula:

Since T=D/V (time to travel equals the distance divided by the velocity), all we have to do is figure out the average velocity of the ball over the 130 feet.

By your formula, since the ball slows down by 1 MPH each ten feet, the average velocity in MPH would be the initial velocity minus half of the following: the distance (130 feet) divided by 10 (since the ball slows down one MPH each ten feet).

In formula terms: V(ave) = V(init.) - (D/10)/2

So, if we first compute average velocity in MPH and then convert it to feet per second.

V = 75 - ((130/10)/2))

Which equals 68.5 MPH average velocity.

68.5 ave velocity is almost exactly 100 feet per second (100.466 to be exact, which is 68.5 times 5280 divided by 3600)

So the time equals:

T = 130/100.466

or, just under 1.3 seconds

In terms of pop time, with a release of .7 or better, an arm strength of 75MPH would give us the sub 2.0 pop. Which makes sense.
Rob,

I have done the math the way you suggested myself with the same results. My braincramp came wondering if instead of using average speed over the 130 feet I actually had the deceleration of the ball actually plugged in, whether the results would vary much or not.

The math shows clearly to me though that you don't need to be 80mph plus to throw at or under 2.0.
Coach:

My brother has a Ph.D in physics from Cal Tech.
I'll run this question by him.

My guess is that using a differential calculus approach to the question that takes into account the deceleration will give a more accurate result, but that it will be close enough to what both you and I arrived at to make it not worth the effort.

I'll let you know. He does this kind of stuff while brushing his teeth.

It's a pretty interesting question.
quote:
Release (initial) velocity is 75mph

Coach,
If the catcher's velocity is 75 MPH you don't need a formula to determine pop time, you need a program to build up his arm strength. Big Grin
Fungo
Isn't 75 MPH actually a pretty decent initial velocity from the catcher's position? I've looked at a lot of PG player profiles for catchers and even the higher rated prospects are clocked in the mid 70's. Very few touch 80.

Is that because the radar gun measures ball speed in mid flight after it has slowed down, and therefore is not giving initial velocity?

Interesting to note that the difference between a 75 and 80 MPH throw in terms of time to travel is .085 of a second. I'm guessing that release time is a variable that is a lot easier to decrease by that amount.

Is that correct Catching Coach?
Rob,

Your observation is the heart of my reasoning for wanting to understand the math.

Here is why this information is so important to me.

I received a call from a parent of a Soph D-1 catcher in June. He had just finished his season and had shared the catching duties with another sophomore. During his end of season interview with his coach he was told that for this coming season he would need to make an improvement in his POP if he wanted to secure the starting role. He had been throwing game situation throws 2.05-2.10. The young man asked the coach for help in understanding what part of his throw needed the most work. The coach was clear that the player’s footwork and mechanics were just fine so his main area to improve was his arm strength. The young man left school figuring he had a summer of long toss ahead of him.

Understanding this math tells me he was going to have to try and add 7-9 MPH to get into the mid 1.9’s

When I spoke to the father he indicted that he questioned the coach’s evaluation of the problem area since his son had always been told he had great velocity. He then indicated to me he had 80+ velocity out of his crouch. While I still would need to confirm that MPH myself, I was sure from my understanding of the math involved in this post that this young man had to have a very slow release if he was throwing 80+ and was not going below 2.05-2.10

When the player and his dad came to be evaluated I was able to confirm that his MPH was indeed 80-81 at release from his crouch. I was also able to just visually confirm, forget the stopwatch, that he had the smoothest SLOW release I had seen in a player of his caliber. His ave release was between .89-.96 of a second. He had all kinds of things in his footwork and ball exchange that were eating time. Eating time smoothly, but eating time never the less.

We made some changes in his footwork and exchange mechanics and by the end of the weekend his release was under .80 seconds. His POP was under 1.95 in a training environment. The father has kept touch over the summer and fall and the player has had game situation throws now in the low 1.9 range.

TRhit : This story illustrates why it matters to me. As coaches we need to understand the physics completely to be sure we don’t misdiagnose a problem with a player and send him off working on areas that may not be the heart of the problem.

Fungo: 75mph right out of the crouch at release is very good velocity. I have timed nearly 100 College catchers in the past year in game situations and have found less then 20% throw 80+ from their crouch. I too would love to see a listing from the PG folks about what they see regularly across the country.
I have been reading HS, College, and Pro catcher's arm strength on the oldest of radar equipment, and for a long time.

The debate continues whether to recruit a raw catcher with excellent arm strength (and average C&T skills) vs a polished catcher w/ excellent C&T skills, yet average arm strength.

Using the ol' pipe (ie Decateur), when finding a kid from behind the dish with an initial velo of 75 mph, I show pop times in the sub 2.0 sec range. This takes into account above average glove transition times (ie .75 to .80 sec)

Given a quality receiver w/ plus arm (ie 80+ Jugs), and plus transition (.75 sec), great feet, and hits left handed with power is special (and rare) and a high round draftable kid.

OBTW: Velo's at 75 mph release, typically reveal 67 mph at Minf glove (on the Decateur).

OBTW: Differences in Decateur and other newer radar guns (& frequencies) have shown to be:
- 4 mph (older Jugs)
- 5 mph (newer Jugs)
- 7 mph (old Stalker)
- 9 mph (newest Stalker)

May be seeing and chatting w/ Ellie Hendricks (former bullpen catcher - Balt) over the weekend, and will bounce it off of him.

If not, I am hoping to run into an ol' friend Joe Breeden (former bullpen catcher Marlins,, and now with NYY Tampa) in Jan 06, to see what he says.

Stay tuned.

cheers
Bear
Last edited by Bear
Coach,

I understand your desire for this info. We do some indoor events where catchers do not throw the full distance. Our “smarter” people figured out a formula based on the shorter distance. I can’t remember how it’s done.

Mid 70s is a good velocity, but it does not show present professional level arm strength. Most every catcher that I can remember being drafted (high school or college) will throw 80 or better. We have clocked many above 85. This does not mean the arm strength guys are the best catchers, it just means they have the strongest arms.

For example – Arguably the 4 top defensive catchers in the 06 high school class are Hank Conger (CA), Torre Langley (GA), Max Sapp (FL) and Robbie Alcombrack (CA). There are several others that could be mentioned, but these are the 4 that played in the aflac game. Langley has thrown upper 80s from behind the plate. The others are all around 80 or better.

Here is a link to a list of National Showcase players. These players are among the very best in the country. You can click on their name and see lots of stuff including the gun readings and pop times. I don't know if that will be useful to you or not.

National Showcase
Catching Coach:

OK, I have the definitive answer. It is always nice to have a rocket scientist handy. (My brother actually IS a rocket scientist.)

I posed the question to him, gave him my formula, and asked if calculus might give a better answer. Turns out is was about as I thought. His answer below:

Rob,

The answer is "yes, you can be more accurate, but not very much more..." Your linear approximation is a very good one in this example. A rigorous solution requires calculus.

We are given: V(x) = Vo - V'x
where, Vo = 75mph and V' = 0.1 mph/ft

Then the differential equation for the time of flight is

dt = dx/V(x)

which must be integrated between the limits of 0 to Xmax (Xmax = 130 ft)

Which gives

t = (-1/V') ln((Vo - V'Xmax)/Vo)

When you plug in all the numbers (including 1mph = 1.46666 ft/sec), you get

t = 1.297866...sec

Coach: The linear approximation both you and I worked out gave an answer of 130/100.466 = 1.294 seconds - a trivial difference from the answer using differential calculus.

Which is good news - it means you dont have to be a rocket scientist to get a close enough answer!
SoCal:
That is exactly right. It is a very useful way to figure out release times and pop times.

In fact, if you have Tivo, you can do it for game situations. I've done it many times to see what the actual game pop times are for MLB catchers.

Guy steals a base, just rewind and play it back frame by frame, and start counting. I've done it for about a dozen guys in MLB. Game pops have all been right around 2.0.

I think the frame-by-frame approach to measuring time is far more accurate than stopwatch for short-duration measures such as pop time (and especially release time.)
Rob, I think it’s a very legit question and interesting but would the solution serve any real purpose? There are many that scoff at even using the pop time when evaluating the effectiveness of a catcher. I make jokes about the mathematical equations of “pop times” ... Number one because it’s above my ability to calculate and number two ... even though I understand where catching coach is going with this, I don’t think the solution to this equation will alter any catcher’s future one iota. Like they say....you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure this baseball stuff out... Big Grin
Fungo:
It's not just the equation of time of travel vs. initial velocity - I think that is interesting, but not all that crucial. But the larger question of accurate timing of catchers' movements - I think that IS very important.

Let's say a catcher throws at high 70's, and pop time is 2.2. We know he can improve his release technique, just from that info.

So, video taping his release, breaking down the various elements and timing it can very well be what shaves two tenths off a release time, which is the equivalent of more than 10MPH on the throw velocity.

So all the complicated math was a way of nailing down one (if not more) answers: many times it is more productive to spend time and practice on footwork and associated release mechanics than arm strength.

He would not have had that confirmed if not for doing the math and proving it.

So, I DO think that the whole exercise has the potential to help catchers improve.

I used to hang around with a lot of pro golfers, and their teachers. Technology (video analysis, and analysis systems that measure things such as clubhead speed, angle of descent, open/shut face, squareness of contact) has clearly improved the science of golf instruction, and resulted in better golfers.

I think what Catching Coach is driving at is the catching equivalent of this kind of analysis.
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
Mid 70s is a good velocity, but it does not show present professional level arm strength.

National Showcase

Jerry,

You just may be trying to say the same thing,
yet, there are contradictions in your words from the PG data collected.

Assumption: PG's 80+ mph reading is equiv to a 75 mph reading on my ol' pipe (ie Decateur)

Point #1. Yes, Langley (from GA) is special. However the rest of PG's "10" ratings for Catchers reveals 75+ mph (Decateur Gun equiv data).

Point #2 PG rating of "9.0" and above define "Potential Top 10 Round Draft Pick" to a 'Very High Draft Pick".

Point #3. Many (over 15) catchers from National Showcase link reveal PG ratings of "9.0 - 9.5". Among those catchers timed reveals low to mid 70's mph readings.

Point #4. For me a catcher's ability to demonstrate good arm strength (and potential for 'hill duty') typically reveals 75+ mph reading from behind the dish at release. My rule of thumb, is a +5 mph increase is expected should the catcher go to the bump (and w/ acceptable mechanics when on it.)

Point #5: I had a chance to chat with Ellie Hendricks last night before the MASA banquet regarding catchers
- pop times,
- transitions times, and
- radar readings for catchers.
I found it interesting that Ellie did not think about breaking down a pro prospect, minor leaguers, and MLB catchers to transition times and radar readings. He only used pop times. He also mentioned Pudge was consistently 1.80 sec (on a ball in the dirt.)

Bottom Line: Could the PG data on catchers pop times be consistantly elevated?

Regards
Bear
Last edited by Bear
2 thoughts that come to me after reading all the great imput.

A. There are thousands of catchers playing college baseball at all levels. If the best of the best are just over 80MPH then it is clear that the majority are throowing well under that and those that throw mid-70's would indeed be considered very good. This past MLB draft had 60 some catchers drafted. It is likely that many of those 60 some catchers throw 80+. The other couple thousand catchers that were not drafted and will never play beyond college, probably fall into different MPH groups. Those throwing 75+ should be considered good.

B. My reason for wanting to study this skill to this level of detail is to be sure that when I evaluate a catcher I am working on the correct area of weakness. Maxamizing the athletes training time on those areas that will give him the most bang for the time he invests in training.
Bear, I have copied your post and my replies are in bold.

quote:
Jerry,

You just may be trying to say the same thing,
yet, there are contradictions in your words from the PG data collected.

We are capable of making mistakes. However, very seldom are there any contradictions.

Assumption: PG's 80+ mph reading is equiv to a 75 mph reading on my ol' pipe (ie Decateur)

We probably see more real major league scouts and college recruiters than anyone in the country. I doubt if we see one or two “ol pipes” still being used in this country. The equivelant is insignificant because we use Stalkers.

Point #1. Yes, Langley (from GA) is special. However the rest of PG's "10" ratings for Catchers reveals 75+ mph (Decateur Gun equiv data).

In my next post you might want to look at the rest of the “10” ratings for catchers. Once again, we use Stalkers as does most everyone in professional baseball. Your (Decatur) 75+ will equal over 80 on our guns!

Point #2 PG rating of "9.0" and above define "Potential Top 10 Round Draft Pick" to a 'Very High Draft Pick".

A 9 grade means - “Potential” top 10 round draft pick OR Top DI Prospect. Truth is most catchers are better off going to college. Jeff Clement we graded a “10” in High School. He was not drafted in the top 10 rounds. He went to Southern Cal and last year was the 3rd pick of the first round. Signed for 3.4 million. Was the “10” justified or not? Evidently he had the “potential” (key word) to be a “very high draft pick”

Point #3. Many (over 15) catchers from National Showcase link reveal PG ratings of "9.0 - 9.5". Among those catchers timed reveals low to mid 70's mph readings.

Next post I’m going to list those catchers from the National. Please tell me who throws low 70s on the Stalker. This was our National, we thought these guys were among the best catchers in the country before the National took place. It’s fairly obvious that they are as of now! Many of these catchers performed even better before or after the National.

Point #4. For me a catcher's ability to demonstrate good arm strength (and potential for 'hill duty') typically reveals 75+ mph reading from behind the dish at release. My rule of thumb, is a +5 mph increase is expected should the catcher go to the bump (and w/ acceptable mechanics when on it.)

Our rule of thumb is what we read on the gun and what we see with our eyes. We don't expect anything, we wait to see it! When we see a catcher with the right body and arm strength to possibly be a pitcher… We try to get him on the mound! ie. Dustin McGowen,Chris Garcia.

Point #5: I had a chance to chat with Ellie Hendricks last night before the MASA banquet regarding catchers
- pop times,
- transitions times, and
- radar readings for catchers.
I found it interesting that Ellie did not think about breaking down a pro prospect, minor leaguers, and MLB catchers to transition times and radar readings. He only used pop times. He also mentioned Pudge was consistently 1.80 sec (on a ball in the dirt.)

With all due respect… We believe the more information we can gather… the better. We have a committee that includes two thirds of the 30 MLB Scouting Directors. Unanimously… They want as much information as we can possibly compile. "Ellie" I'm sure is a great baseball man, but his job does not revolve around paying big money to the best prospects. If it did, he might be more interested in pure arm strength in addition to pop times.

Bottom Line: Could the PG data on catchers pop times be consistantly elevated?

This is the comment that most caused this lengthy reply. We take great pride in honesty and integrity! We would not be in the position we are today by elevating pop times. This comment seems to be an accusation rather than a question. I do not appreciate that!!!! We are not big shots who throw names around (though we sure could) and act like experts, we just work or as-ses off!!!!

Regards
Bear

Next post will also be lengthy. It will include CATCHER, PG GRADE, VELOCITY, POP TIME, and REPORT of all the catchers who attended the PG National at Turner Field this past June. We feel they are all Top DI Prospects and that should prove correct, for the most part.
I apologize for the length of the following post. However, I think it will be of some value to those interested. CatchingCoach and others, I hope it interests some of you.

Here are all the catchers who attended the PG National in Turner Field this past June. I have addressed the personal issues above, but it pisses me off when someone wants to indirectly claim that these players are somehow over rated.

These catchers are listed by their PG Grade and then alphabetically. Please note the colleges they’ve signed early with.

Info is listed by – PG grade – Name – Ht/Wt - Velocity reading – Pop time – (early college signing that we are aware of) Could be others we're not aware of yet.

The grading scale”

10 - Potential” very high draft pick or Top DI in the nation prospect.
9 – “Potential” top 10 round draft pick or Top DI prospect
8 – “Potential” mid round pick or definite DI prospect

10 - Robbie Alcombrack 6-0/200 79 mph 1.84 pop time (Signed Arizona State)
PG REPORT: Robby Alcombrack is a 2006 catcher/third baseman from Grass Valley, Ca with a solid build that shows good strength at 6-1, 200 lbs. quick feet, very good blocking skills, mlb arm strength at 79 mph, excellent 1.84 pop time, very accurate, good bat speed, quick hands, uses whole field, very good power potential, highest level prospect with high draft potential

10 – Hank Conger 6-0/200 85 mph 1.87 pop time (Signed with Southern Cal)
PG Report: Could not attend National, but was selected for Aflac Game. Maybe the top power hitter in the nation. Very strong arm and good agility. Plays 3B well. One of the top draft prospects in the West.

10 - Torre Langley 5-9/175 86 mph 1.76 pop time (Signed with Georgia Tech)
PG REPORT: Torre Langley is a 2006 catcher from Winston, GA with a lean muscular build at 5-9, 175 lbs. great arm strength at 86 mph on throws to 2B, quick and accurate, good athlete, runs well, excellent pop time of 1.76, line drive swing plane, quick bat, good bat speed, shows some power, good balance throughout swing, arguably the best catcher in the country, very good student

10 - Max Sapp 6-2/210 81 mph 1.85 pop time (Signed with Florida State)
PG REPORT: Max Sapp is a 2006 catcher from Bishop Moore HS in Windermere, FL, with a big strong 6'2", 210 lb. frame. Showed he is one of the top power hitters in the country, plus raw power, plus bat speed, slight lift in swing, power to all fields, leverage in swing, will hit for average as well, serious arm strength, very good pop times, solid transfers, good receiver, middle of the order run producer at the next level. High level college/pro prospect.

10 - Danny Rams 6-2/220 83 mph 1.94 pop time (07 grad)
PG REPORT: Danny Rams is a 2007 catcher/first baseman from Miami, FL with big thick strong build at 6-2, 220 lbs. very strong arm, 83 mph behind the plate, 1.94 pop time, solid release, good accuracy, excellent bat speed, quick trigger, good lift in swing, big time HR power to any field, ball explodes off the bat, outstanding power hitter with unlimited potential, good student

9.5 – Jared Avchen 80 mph 1.89 pop time (Signed U of Alabama)
PG REPORT: Jared Avchen is a 2006 catcher/third baseman from Palm Bay, FL with a thick strong build at 6-1, 200 lbs. quick feet, good blocking skills, moves well, very strong arm at 80 mph, 1.89 pop time, simple swing, line drive swing path, ball jumps off bat, gets lift on the ball, good bat speed, very good power potential, highest level prospect, hit one out of Turner Field, very good student

9.5 – Braxton Chisholm 6-1/185 78 mph 1.93 pop time (no report yet)
PG REPORT: Braxton Chisholm is a 2006 catcher/outfielder from St. Cloud, FL with a very good athletic body at 6-1, 185 lbs. quick feet, strong arm at 78 mph, quick release, 1.93 pop time, 6.84 in the 60, aggressive swing, good bat speed, gets good extension, line drive swing plane, potential to hit for big power, very high level prospect, big sleeper!

9.5 – Mark Fleury 6-1/190 80 mph 1.89 pop time (Signed with U of North Carolina)
PG REPORT: Mark Fluery is a 2006 catcher from Roswell, GA with a strong muscular build at 6-1, 190 lbs. very strong arm, quick release, very good hustle, 1.89 pop time, runs well, aggressive approach at the plate, good bat speed, makes solid contact, hits hard line drives to all fields, line drive swing plane, excellent catcher!, very high level prospect, good student

9.5 – Yan Gomes 6-1/188 82 mph 1.83 pop time (signed with U of Tennessee)
PG REPORT: Yan Gomes is a 2006 catcher/infielder from Miami, FL with a solid athletic build at 6-1, 188 lbs. quick feet, very good blocking skills, very strong arm at 82 mph, 1.83 pop time with on the bag accuracy, 6.92 in the 60, quick hands, good bat speed, makes solid contact, shows good power potential, one of the top catchers in the country, big sleeper, highest level prospect

9.5 – Jason Hagerty 6-2/195 80 mph 1.88 pop time (Signed with Miami Fl)
PG REPORT: Jason Hagerty is a 2006 catcher/infielder from St. Louis, MO with a muscular athletic build at 6-2, 195 lbs. very strong arm at 80 mph, 1.88 pop time, moves well side to side, runs well, switch hitter, good hand strength, line drive swing plane, good bat speed, ball jumps off bat, more lift and power from left side, top catching prospect with huge potential, good student

9.5 – David Lindsay 6-1/185 81 mph 1.78 pop time (no report yet)
PG REPORT: David Lindsey is a 2006 catcher/outfielder from Glen Allen, VA with a lean strong build at 6-1, 185 lbs. very strong arm at 81 mph, excellent 1.78 pop time, good blocking skills, good feel for position, very athletic catcher, runs well, shows strength in hands, good bat speed, ball jumps off his bat, good power potential, very high level prospect with big upside, very good student

9.5 – Joe Mercurio 6-2/185 79 mph 2.06 pop time (Signed with U of Illinois)
PG REPORT: Joseph Mercurio is a 2006 catcher from Brewster, NY with a solid strong build at 6-2, 185 lbs. very good arm strength at 79 mph, accurate thrower, good athletic receiver, moves well side to side, can hit, good leverage in swing, good bat speed, ball jumps on contact, shows good power to pull side, high level prospect with lots of upside, very good student

9.5 – Chad Pierce 6-1/202 81 mph 1.87 pop time (Signed with U of Arkansas)
PG REPORT: Chad Pierce is a 2006 catcher/right handed pitcher from Fond du Lac, WI with a muscular build at 6-1, 202 lbs. very strong arm at 81 mph, 1.87 pop time, good accuracy, quick feet, soft hands, makes solid contact, line drive plane, good power, uses the whole field, 86 mph FB, good change, very high level catching prospect with big time potential, very good student

9.5 – Dustin Spruill 5-11/195 80 mph 1.89 pop time (Signed with Auburn)
PG REPORT: Dustin Spruill is a 2006 catcher from Paul Bryant HS in Northport, AL, with a solid 5'11", 195 lb. frame. Strong body, good footwork, big arm strength, good pop times, nice receiver, switch hitter, quick bat, present raw power from both sides, good hands to make adjustments at the plate, middle of the order hitter at the next level, good student as well. Highest level prospect.

9.5 – Travis Tartamella 6-0/198 80 mph 1.83 pop time (Signed with Pepperdine)
PG REPORT: Travis Tartamella is a 2006 catcher from Los Osos HS in Alta Loma, CA, with an athletic solid 6'0", 198 lb. frame. Strong body, strong accurate arm, receives the ball well, high energy on defense, quick pop times 1.83, good footwork, handles pitchers well, leg lift trigger at the plate, plus bat speed, present raw power, stays on CB well, line drive swing plane, solid hitter, excellent high level catching prospect, very good student as well.

9.5 – Jeremy Weih 6-0/195 78 mph 1.95 pop time (Signed with UNI)
PG REPORT: Jeremy Weih is a 2006 catcher from Wilton HS in Iowa, with a solid 6'0", 195 lb. frame. Strong and athletic body, very good arm strength, online throws, blocks balls in the dirt well, good pop times, great running speed for a catcher, balanced swing, present raw power, very good bat speed, leverage in swing, quick hands, ball jumps at contact, line drive swing path, several well hit balls, High level prospect.

9 – Curtis Casali 78 mph 1.91 pop time (2007 grad)
PG REPORT: Curtis Casali is a 2007 catcher from New Canaan, CT with a big strong build at 6-3, 192 lbs. very strong arm at 78 mph, 1.91 pop time, moves well, quick release, strong arms and wrists, good strength in swing, good bat speed, has big raw power, excellent follow for 2007, highest level prospect, good student

9 – Justin Dalles 6-2/200 78 mph 1.93 pop time (Signed with Florida Atlantic)
PG REPORT: Justin Dalles is a 2006 catcher/infielder from Lake Worth, FL with a strong build at 6-2, 200 lbs. quick actions, live arm, good hustle, smart catcher, plays hard, 1.93 pop time, swings hard, good bat speed, length to swing, good power to all fields, HR potential, projectable body, highest level prospect, very good student

9 – Jayson Hernandez 5-10/184 78mph 1.82 pop time (Signed with Winthrop)
PG REPORT: Jayson Hernandez is a 2006 catcher from Jackson, NJ with a solid build that shows strength at 5-10, 184 lbs. strong arm with good accuracy, 1.82 pop time, quick transfer and release, good feet, lofted swing plane, good bat speed, quick hands, nice swing with extension, has good power potential, highest level catching prospect, good student

9 – Ross Hubbard 6-4/200 76 mph 1.97 pop time (Signed with U of Kentucky)
PG REPORT: Ross Hubbard is a 2006 catcher/first baseman from Denton, TX with a big strong build at 6-4, 205 lbs. strong arm, 1.97 pop time, good blocking skills, long swing, coils for trigger, lofted swing plane, gets good extension, ball jumps off the bat, uses the whole field, good power potential, high level prospect, very good student

9 – Joey Lewis 6-4/210 78 mph 1.89 pop time (Signed with U of Georgia)
PG REPORT: Joey Lewis is a 2006 catcher/first baseman from Senoia, GA with a big solid frame at 6-4, 210 lbs. strong arm, quick transfer, good feel for position, 1.89 pop time, good smooth swing, strength in swing, slightly lofted swing plane, uses whole field, very good power potential, highest level prospect, good student

9 – Trey Lucas 6-0/175 79 mph 1.84 pop time 7.05 -60 (no report yet)
PG REPORT: Trey Lucas is a 2006 catcher/outfielder from Knoxville, TN with a lean build that shows strength at 6-0, 175 lbs. strong arm behind plate at 79 mph, 1.84 pop time, quick transfer, quick arm, good feet, blocks well, good bat speed, good hands, shows balance throughout, line drive swing plane, good power to the pull side, runs well, high level prospect with solid tools, very good student

9 – Sean Ochinko 6-0/200 80 mph 1.90 pop time (Signed with Louisiana State U)
PG REPORT: Sean Ochinko is a 2006 catcher/third baseman from Parkland, FL with a solid strong build at 6-0, 200 lbs. good upper body strength, very strong arm, good feet, 1.90 pop time, blocks well, good receiver, upper body swing, rotational hitter, line drive contact, good bat speed, gap to gap power, solid catching skills with good power potential, good student

9 – Matthew Redding 6-1/205 78 mph 1.99 pop time (Signed with Samford)
PG REPORT: Matthew Redding is a 2006 C from Nease HS in Jacksonville Beach, FL, with a 6'1", 205 frame. Solid strong build, strong arm, soft hands, moves well side to side, line drive swing plane, makes solid contact to all fields, gets good extension, good bat speed, quick hands, centers on the ball well, power potential, good player, very high level prospect

9 – Chris Schaeffer 6-0/185 77 mph 1.92 pop time (no report yet)
PG REPORT: Chris Schaeffer is a 2006 catcher from John Carroll HS in Port St. Lucie, FL, with a good 6'0", 185 lb. frame. Present strength and flexibility, solid arm strength, very good pop times, quick transfer and release, receives the ball well, handles pitchers well, some raw power at the plate, ball jumps, short bat path, uses the field, good hand strength, leadership skills, high level prospect. good student as well.

8.5 – Sam Mahoney 6-5/215 81 mph 1.97 pop time (Signed with U of South Carolina)
PG REPORT: Sam Mahoney is a 2006 catcher/first baseman from Belmont, MA with a very good, big body at 6-5, 215 lbs. very strong arm at 81 mph, 1.97 pop time, good accuracy, very good hustle and effort, plays hard, good bat speed, shows gap to gap power, goes to opposite field with power, line drive plane, very solid catcher with big power potential, projects large, excellent student

8.5 – Michael Pugliese 5-11/185 75 mph 1.97 pop time (no report yet)
PG REPORT: Michael Pugliese is a 2006 catcher from Chino Hills, CA with a strong solid build at 5-11, 185 lbs. strong legs, good accurate arm, 1.97 pop time, moves well behind the plate, good blocking skills, shows discipline at the plate, keeps weight back, good bat speed, line drive swing plane, solid catcher with good hitting ability, smart player, plays hard, high level prospect, very good student
Catching Coach,

Keep in mind that some of these catchers we have seen better velocities. These gun readings were taken at that event.

For example we have gotten Alcombrack at 82 and Sapp at 85 at other events. We've also got Weih at 83 and Langley at 88 before. Just to mention a few!

But you are correct 75 is a good velocity for college, not so good for pro. We've had low 70s with below 2.00 pop times many times.

Also, one should remember that we are in the age of the bat being more important than ever before.

I think your passion for catching is great!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.