Skip to main content

Perfect Game's web site shows a May 9-10 showcase in Atlanta.  My 2020 isn't in the market for showcases this summer, but I am curious:  Has anyone heard or read anything about what the summer HS travel ball / showcase scene is going to look like?  A lot could change between now and July, but is there any chance of PG running an event in Atlanta in early May that will attract players from all over the southeast (and probably some from well beyond it)?  

I have gotten a few emails about summer college camps being postponed.  I know American Legion ball is cancelled in NC and SC, and the Legion World Series has been cancelled.  Have any of your kids' travel teams said anything yet about their summer plans?  Any other info out there?  (I know nobody really knows anything yet.  But do you think you might know anything?)

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

PG isn’t cancelling anything until they get within 2 weeks of the event. I think its a good policy. I’ve only been paying attention to FL, but I think it may be possible to do events in Ft Myers as they have a lower amount of infections. I can’t see them doing their events scheduled in West Palm for a while, if at all this summer. Overall, most of FL seems to be on the right track to be able to open up baseball next month. 

Similar to the going back to work topic in the other thread, you will have people who don’t want to travel, stay in hotels, or have their kids in a crowded dugout. I

I'm in Texas.  The problem isn't going to be with our governor in my opinion, it will be the county government that could have restrictions in place to prohibit outdoor gatherings over X number of people.  So, for example, Top 96 has a two day camp in June set for UT- Dallas field, which is in Dallas County.  I think if any of the counties in north Texas would have a restriction, it would be Dallas County.  But neighboring Collin County would be less likely to have a restriction.  But who knows if the showcase could change venues.

TerribleBPthrower posted:

PG isn’t cancelling anything until they get within 2 weeks of the event. I think its a good policy. I’ve only been paying attention to FL, but I think it may be possible to do events in Ft Myers as they have a lower amount of infections. I can’t see them doing their events scheduled in West Palm for a while, if at all this summer. Overall, most of FL seems to be on the right track to be able to open up baseball next month. 

Similar to the going back to work topic in the other thread, you will have people who don’t want to travel, stay in hotels, or have their kids in a crowded dugout. I

I think that it will alsobe up to the people who live in a particular area. If you lived in Ft Myers, would you want a lot of people descending upon you from all different areas, not me.  That's what got FL messed up in the first place.

I think perhaps even if PG is able to host events at East Cobb at some point in May or June, they will look a lot different from the days of old.  In announcing a partial reopening, Gov. Kemp was clear that social distancing and sanitizing would have to be vigorously practiced.  I'm not sure what a baseball tournament would look like under those conditions.

LuckyCat posted:

I think perhaps even if PG is able to host events at East Cobb at some point in May or June, they will look a lot different from the days of old.  In announcing a partial reopening, Gov. Kemp was clear that social distancing and sanitizing would have to be vigorously practiced.  I'm not sure what a baseball tournament would look like under those conditions.

It would be fine until someone does this.

Miami Marlins Pitcher Alex Sanabia Caught on Camera with Obvious ...

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0

Had a conversation with a staff member from PG.  He advised they were optimistic that May baseball would be played at some point and they are ironing out specifics on how to keep everyone safe.   From the conversation I had it doesn't sound like rows of golf carts are gonna be allowed at the bigger events like seen in the past.  My guess is that more venues will need to be secured in order to space games out and the number of scouts/coaches allowed to attend will have limits.   

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.