Skip to main content

Perfect Game's web site shows a May 9-10 showcase in Atlanta.  My 2020 isn't in the market for showcases this summer, but I am curious:  Has anyone heard or read anything about what the summer HS travel ball / showcase scene is going to look like?  A lot could change between now and July, but is there any chance of PG running an event in Atlanta in early May that will attract players from all over the southeast (and probably some from well beyond it)?  

I have gotten a few emails about summer college camps being postponed.  I know American Legion ball is cancelled in NC and SC, and the Legion World Series has been cancelled.  Have any of your kids' travel teams said anything yet about their summer plans?  Any other info out there?  (I know nobody really knows anything yet.  But do you think you might know anything?)

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

PG isn’t cancelling anything until they get within 2 weeks of the event. I think its a good policy. I’ve only been paying attention to FL, but I think it may be possible to do events in Ft Myers as they have a lower amount of infections. I can’t see them doing their events scheduled in West Palm for a while, if at all this summer. Overall, most of FL seems to be on the right track to be able to open up baseball next month. 

Similar to the going back to work topic in the other thread, you will have people who don’t want to travel, stay in hotels, or have their kids in a crowded dugout. I

I'm in Texas.  The problem isn't going to be with our governor in my opinion, it will be the county government that could have restrictions in place to prohibit outdoor gatherings over X number of people.  So, for example, Top 96 has a two day camp in June set for UT- Dallas field, which is in Dallas County.  I think if any of the counties in north Texas would have a restriction, it would be Dallas County.  But neighboring Collin County would be less likely to have a restriction.  But who knows if the showcase could change venues.

TerribleBPthrower posted:

PG isn’t cancelling anything until they get within 2 weeks of the event. I think its a good policy. I’ve only been paying attention to FL, but I think it may be possible to do events in Ft Myers as they have a lower amount of infections. I can’t see them doing their events scheduled in West Palm for a while, if at all this summer. Overall, most of FL seems to be on the right track to be able to open up baseball next month. 

Similar to the going back to work topic in the other thread, you will have people who don’t want to travel, stay in hotels, or have their kids in a crowded dugout. I

I think that it will alsobe up to the people who live in a particular area. If you lived in Ft Myers, would you want a lot of people descending upon you from all different areas, not me.  That's what got FL messed up in the first place.

I think perhaps even if PG is able to host events at East Cobb at some point in May or June, they will look a lot different from the days of old.  In announcing a partial reopening, Gov. Kemp was clear that social distancing and sanitizing would have to be vigorously practiced.  I'm not sure what a baseball tournament would look like under those conditions.

LuckyCat posted:

I think perhaps even if PG is able to host events at East Cobb at some point in May or June, they will look a lot different from the days of old.  In announcing a partial reopening, Gov. Kemp was clear that social distancing and sanitizing would have to be vigorously practiced.  I'm not sure what a baseball tournament would look like under those conditions.

It would be fine until someone does this.

Miami Marlins Pitcher Alex Sanabia Caught on Camera with Obvious ...

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0

Had a conversation with a staff member from PG.  He advised they were optimistic that May baseball would be played at some point and they are ironing out specifics on how to keep everyone safe.   From the conversation I had it doesn't sound like rows of golf carts are gonna be allowed at the bigger events like seen in the past.  My guess is that more venues will need to be secured in order to space games out and the number of scouts/coaches allowed to attend will have limits.   

4arms posted:

Had a conversation with a staff member from PG.  He advised they were optimistic that May baseball would be played at some point and they are ironing out specifics on how to keep everyone safe.   From the conversation I had it doesn't sound like rows of golf carts are gonna be allowed at the bigger events like seen in the past.  My guess is that more venues will need to be secured in order to space games out and the number of scouts/coaches allowed to attend will have limits.   

Yes, this is sort of what I imagine.  I could also see them limiting attendance of non-players to one accompanying adult or none at all.  In Georgia anyway, I think they're going to have to make folks in the stand sit at least six feet apart, so there won't be room for lots of people besides the coaches to watch games.  I also think it's possible everyone's temperature will have to be read before they are allowed in.

--not trying to get political and not speculating whether specific restrictions are warranted--just thinking through what would be required for baseball to be played--

If social distancing is still required, I'm not sure how baseball games would work (outside of MLB's proposal to keep players isolated from the rest of society).  Players would need to be six feet apart in dugouts, during mound visits, at bases.  Umpire couldn't crouch behind the catcher.  Tennis courts were closed in my county because of concerns about transmission via the ball because players both touch it--that could be an issue for baseball also.

If players don't have to be concerned about the above exposures, then fans should be allowed to sit in the bleachers together and scouts in carts.  So I would think baseball requires an everything-is-nearly-normal scenario.

Chico Escuela posted:

--not trying to get political and not speculating whether specific restrictions are warranted--just thinking through what would be required for baseball to be played--

If social distancing is still required, I'm not sure how baseball games would work (outside of MLB's proposal to keep players isolated from the rest of society).  Players would need to be six feet apart in dugouts, during mound visits, at bases.  Umpire couldn't crouch behind the catcher.  Tennis courts were closed in my county because of concerns about transmission via the ball because players both touch it--that could be an issue for baseball also.

If players don't have to be concerned about the above exposures, then fans should be allowed to sit in the bleachers together and scouts in carts.  So I would think baseball requires an everything-is-nearly-normal scenario.

I don't disagree with our logic, but somehow in Georgia, people are going to be able to get tattoos and haircuts starting this Friday, so I don't think social distancing rules apply at all times to all circumstances.  Where it can be reasonably done, it should be done.  So, for example, a barber is going to have to stand right behind your head, while he cuts your hair.  But, his barber chair should be spaced at least six feet away from another barber's chair and waiting customers should be sitting six feet from each other.  So. I guess the goal is to minimize not completely eliminate risk.

In a baseball game, the umpire is going to have to squat behind the catcher, who is going to have to squat behind the plate next to the batter.  There's just no getting around that.  The first basemen is going to have to stay at the bag to get the runner out.  The six feet rule can't be enforced in game situations, but I suppose it could be enforced in the dugout.  Also, the folks in the stands are going to stay six feet apart, and I imagine they are going to limit the stands to only those people necessary for the event to happen.

LuckyCat posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

I don't disagree with our logic, but somehow in Georgia, people are going to be able to get tattoos and haircuts starting this Friday, so I don't think social distancing rules apply at all times to all circumstances.  Where it can be reasonably done, it should be done.  So, for example, a barber is going to have to stand right behind your head, while he cuts your hair.  But, his barber chair should be spaced at least six feet away from another barber's chair and waiting customers should be sitting six feet from each other.  So. I guess the goal is to minimize not completely eliminate risk.

In a baseball game, the umpire is going to have to squat behind the catcher, who is going to have to squat behind the plate next to the batter.  There's just no getting around that.  The first basemen is going to have to stay at the bag to get the runner out.  The six feet rule can't be enforced in game situations, but I suppose it could be enforced in the dugout.  Also, the folks in the stands are going to stay six feet apart, and I imagine they are going to limit the stands to only those people necessary for the event to happen.

Do feel at showcases some of these normal baseball rules can be eased.  I've been at college camps where the games are called by Coaches behind the mound.  Nothing to say that singles/walks can't be granted an automatic lead, etc.  Those are really more for player evaluation in game type situations as opposed to trying to win a tourney, so think they'll be more malleable rules with regards to player safety and maintaining social distance practices as best as possible given situation. 

Wechson posted:

Do feel at showcases some of these normal baseball rules can be eased.  I've been at college camps where the games are called by Coaches behind the mound.  Nothing to say that singles/walks can't be granted an automatic lead, etc.  Those are really more for player evaluation in game type situations as opposed to trying to win a tourney, so think they'll be more malleable rules with regards to player safety and maintaining social distance practices as best as possible given situation. 

I agree.  If I operated an outfit like PG, I might do more showcases, less tournaments, where social distancing protocols can be more carefully enforced, at least at the beginning.  Even with all these measures, some people, including coaches, event staff, umpires, and players, may be leery of showing up.

LuckyCat, I think that is a big question.  How many folks will feel comfortable attending these events?  Maybe fewer early in summer and more if (fingers crossed) things go smoothly.  I also wonder if college HCs who are older or have underlying conditions may decide to send young assistant coaches to some events they used to attend in person?

My son is a 2020 and already committed.  He is getting a raw deal missing his senior season (and prom, graduation, etc.), but at least we don't have to weigh the risks of going to events this summer vs. the risk of not getting seen.  Those of you with younger kids may have some tough choices ahead.

Prepster posted:

Social distancing? How do they intend to disinfect the ball in mid-flight as it passes from one player's hand to the next...to the next...?

Obviously it's not going to be perfect.  Lots of disinfectant between innings, etc.  The point being they can take a lot of steps to reduce the interaction/connection of people as much as possible.  Another point being is if this is the reality of the situation come summer, it's going to be a call for coaches, parents, and students to make if they want to participate given it won't be a full proof solution.  Of course, nothing is that other than staying in your home for the foreseeable future. 

There are a few posts I wanted to respond to, so I'll try to organize them here.

I also thought about whether there would be significant decreases in the number of teams due to people not participating. Especially some of the big tournaments that draw tons of teams that can't drive there. They may not need anywhere near the number of fields they are used to.

Social distancing allows for groups of 10 or less. I know this is a guideline number and it is better when you have everyone maintaining their space. But if I'm a sports tournament organization, that is the loophole I'd use to justify it. There just isn't a way to keep 6 feet apart during a game. So maybe they put a limit on roster sizes or numbers of kids that are allowed in the dugout at a time.

I don't think the bleachers seating will be much of an issue. Most people are sitting by the fence in their own chair anyway. If I were the parks, I'd just get rid of the bleachers for now. 

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd think having every participant/spectator sign some sort of waiver up front would take care of any potential liability issues. 

@TPM brought up what could be the biggest hurdle, do the towns like Ft. Myers and East Cobb want thousands of tourists suddenly coming into your town for a few days and potentially causing outbreak issues?

Terrible, I am a lawyer.  If I had a client who wanted to run a tournament this summer, I absolutely would advise them to get a COVID-specific waiver from anyone who entered the premises.  But I also would advise them that no waiver is a guarantee against liability--and in this situation we are mostly in uncharted waters, because I don't think there are many relevant precedents out there.  LuckyCat's point re: insurance is a good one also.  I wouldn't count on carriers covering COVID-related claims (not without a fight anyhow). 

My bottom line:  Heck if I know how this all plays out.  We will know more in a month or two...  

Chico Escuela posted:

Terrible, I am a lawyer.  If I had a client who wanted to run a tournament this summer, I absolutely would advise them to get a COVID-specific waiver from anyone who entered the premises.  But I also would advise them that no waiver is a guarantee against liability--and in this situation we are mostly in uncharted waters, because I don't think there are many relevant precedents out there.  LuckyCat's point re: insurance is a good one also.  I wouldn't count on carriers covering COVID-related claims (not without a fight anyhow). 

My bottom line:  Heck if I know how this all plays out.  We will know more in a month or two...  

I'm a lawyer, too, but this isn't my practice area.  I do know that waivers might help you win your case, but they don't keep you from being sued.  If your insurance policy won't cover this, you're out of pocket on the litigation costs to get the case dismissed or settled.  It won't be as much as a damages award, but it won't be nothing.

I also wonder about liability for employees.  A place like Lake Point, for example, requires quite a few folks to keep it running.  All those employees will be exposed, too, and will be exposing players and coaches to whatever they've got.  Lake Point is in Bartow County, one of the harder hit exurban counties outside Atlanta in terms of infection rate, and I suspect things are going to get worse there before they get better.  Cobb County has had a particularly rough go, as have all the counties around Atlanta, and has an oddly high case fatality rate at their hospitals.

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Last edited by LuckyCat

I guess I'm confused. If this (by actual medical definition) a form of the flu, do we need waivers to do anything for the flu? Does the flu not kill thousands of people (both young and old), even with a vaccine, every year? Why would this be any different and require a waiver? Again it's simple risk, just like the flu and going to work, school, public areas. If you don't want to be exposed then don't. For those that want to, let them. 

James G posted:

I guess I'm confused. If this (by actual medical definition) a form of the flu, do we need waivers to do anything for the flu? Does the flu not kill thousands of people (both young and old), even with a vaccine, every year? Why would this be any different and require a waiver? Again it's simple risk, just like the flu and going to work, school, public areas. If you don't want to be exposed then don't. For those that want to, let them. 

I haven't been involved in other discussions about the pandemic, and I suspect this is not a good place to debate whether Covid19 is or is not a form of the flu or a simple risk like the flu.  No offense JamesG, but I'm going to pass on your questions.  I was just thinking out loud about what the practical implications might be for places like PG trying to figure out whether and how to host an event.

LuckyCat posted:
James G posted:

I haven't been involved in other discussions about the pandemic, and I suspect this is not a good place to debate whether Covid19 is or is not a form of the flu or a simple risk like the flu.  No offense JamesG, but I'm going to pass on your questions.  I was just thinking out loud about what the practical implications might be for places like PG trying to figure out whether and how to host an event.

All good, understood. I just hope rational people ask those type of questions before making decisions that alter our way of life (personal and the business side). 

James G, ---   True, we assume all sorts of risks, all the time.  Oversimplifying things (not because of my opinion of you or anyone else here, but because law has a way of making things tedious and complicated), tort liability occurs when someone is injured due to another person's negligence. 

"Negligence" can be generally defined as not doing what you reasonably should have done to prevent the accident in question.  That standard varies with circumstances.  I would not presume to predict how a suit over COVID-19 exposure would play out--much would depend on the facts and the laws in the relevant state.  But a plaintiff could potentially argue that by holding a tournament, an organizer represented that they took reasonable precautions against COVID.  If there were a cluster of infections traced to the tournament, then maybe the precautions weren't so reasonable.  (Google "res ipsa loquitur" if you want to go further down the doctrinal rabbit hole.)  Perhaps there should have been more sanitizing stations, fewer spectators, better screening of players who showed symptoms...  And maybe most important of all, if a claim is plausible enough to survive a motion to dismiss (early in the lawsuit, before things get really expensive), then a defendant may pay a settlement just to avoid the costs of litigation and the risk they will owe even more.

I'm not a plaintiffs' tort lawyer and I'm not defending the system.  There might never be a suit filed, or a court might toss a suit because of a waiver (or maybe not).  Lots of other outcomes are possible, too.  How serious is the risk?  You'd have to ask your lawyer to give you an answer specific to your situation.  

Good post Chico. Lots of businesses are probably going through similar situations. My wife's family owns a handful of gymnastics clubs around the country. They get sued for the craziest things. Sometimes they get dismissed, sometimes they don't. I can't see insurance companies being in a hurry to write policies to cover Covid claims. Especially without really knowing what the exposure is going to be for those claims.

I can understand the stress those who are committed yet feel. But I can’t imagine there being any amateur baseball this summer. Reopening doesn’t mean back to normal. It’s opening with precautions. Chico laid out everything I was going to post about the complications of playing baseball without possible virus spread. Then there’s the liability insurance companies might not cover due to a decision conflicting with an act of God. 

I would have liked to go to yesterday’s protest about shutting down Maine. But based on what I saw in other news clips I knew a majority of people wouldn’t following distancing rules (and they didn’t). Unfortunately, there are Bozos out there who think COVID is nothing but a hoax plot to bring down the country and/or defeat Trump. I’ve heard some dumb things said at these rallies (because the media wants the ignorant heard on the reopen side

A former college roommate/teammate and still friend became a Lt Colonel in the Army. He’s done four tours in Middle East hot spots. His view is life has casualties. Work on! It certainly conflicts with his view “war sucks.”

Last edited by RJM

I think the comparison with the Flu may be apt, though.  If there is a major outbreak of the flu in a business that serves people who are susceptible to it, and they don't do anything, they could be liable.  So, it is a real concern, but if there are guidelines from the Federal and State governments that are followed closely, I would think that a business should be mostly protected.  Another thing to consider is that there may a law to limit liability over Covid19 eventually, if it becomes a major issue in getting things started back up.  I think that topic was covered in one of the press conferences.

GA person here.

Received an email this morning from a known/respected travel organization here in our area saying that their facility was reopening as of Friday, and they would be proceeding with practices. 

I anticipate that our son’s team will start with practices the weekend of May 9, if not sooner. 

Our first tourney was to be Memorial Day Weekend here in GA, and I think there is a solid chance it will go off. 

I’m all for opening cautiously. I just watched the GA governor validate opening tattoo parlors, gyms, hair salons and nail salons. These all violate the federal standards. I could only shake my head.

Personally, I would add sports where players share a ball and stand inches from each other in the same category. Good luck!

Last edited by RJM
@Eokerholm posted:

We were going to drive down from NC (Team USA event The Weekend prior).

We’re driving from Austin,TX and not flying 

We are planning to do the same from Houston. We are supposed to be in Florida at the end of July/beginning of August for about a 10 day stretch (PG 15u World Series and PG Freshman All American Showcase).  Figured we would need to rent a car anyway to drive between the two events. So we decided it would be a better decision to just make that drive from Houston to Sanford.

I wonder how much pressure PG is under financially with zero income due to events shut down and the monthly payment on the $800M note for Hutto's construction on top of normal operating expenses.  Eventually it has to catch up to them.

PBR's new partnerships with Driveline, Trackman, Visual Edge , and Blast Motion (am I leaving any out?) And taking over Lake Point could really ratchet up the competition once events reopen.  Poised to reign?  Maybe.  But definitely solid steps to separate and improve their product.

both orgs have solid reasons for wanting to open as soon as possible.

I think PBR is the new PG.  PG is trying to play catch up with their partnerships, but a year without a main hub for WWBA and this virus, are putting PG behind.  We got an invite yesterday to a PG event June 6 in Alabama.  They seem to be trying to collect money.  In the south, things may come back faster than other areas.  Our Governor (TX) said on a radio show yesterday that we would be eating in restaurants within the first week of May.

@bandera posted:

I wonder how much pressure PG is under financially with zero income due to events shut down and the monthly payment on the $800M note for Hutto's construction on top of normal operating expenses.  Eventually it has to catch up to them.

PBR's new partnerships with Driveline, Trackman, Visual Edge , and Blast Motion (am I leaving any out?) And taking over Lake Point could really ratchet up the competition once events reopen.  Poised to reign?  Maybe.  But definitely solid steps to separate and improve their product.

both orgs have solid reasons for wanting to open as soon as possible.

I would be surprised if PG has any expenses related to the new HQ in Hutto.  The city is likely carrying the note through the construction process as they (the city) have been firing developers, hiring  a new one then suing the new one.....its been eventful and I am not sure they have turned a shovel yet.

We've seen a bunch of postponements in the last few days, with the Black Bear Classic in SC and the Tournament of Champions in Ohio moved back to August as of a few days ago. The travel program my 2021 plays for then had to choose between the two because the dates conflicted, and now they also conflict with the Showball showcase my son's slotted to attend in Long Island. It amazes me after all this careful planning how you just never know. This is going to be a real mess, but I think what I see is a mad sprint from August through October and the summer season giving way to a late summer/fall mayhem for kids looking to play in college. I just keep telling my kid, stay ready and keeping doing pens and lifting, your time will come. If that's August or Sept/Oct., or if you just need to get into the right fit school and try to walk on, just be ready. He is fortunate in that he took the SAT early and did well, but it's going to come down to one great day in front of the right coaches for him and then a quick decision if he gets an offer. I saw somewhere that PG is waiting to call its tournaments until 2 weeks out - and I'm torn on that. I guess they have to do what they have to do and we'll have to do the same. Anyone else think high academic schools might push back early decision deadlines or general application deadlines, which would then extend the window for kids to take the SATs, subject tests and also prolong the recruiting window for HA DIII and the Ivy's?

Anyone else think high academic schools might push back early decision deadlines or general application deadlines, which would then extend the window for kids to take the SATs, subject tests and also prolong the recruiting window for HA DIII and the Ivy's?

Recruiting will be a mess this summer/fall anyway. But, a lot of HA schools are saying they won't require SAT/ACT for applicants next year (hs grad '21), so the testing dates won't matter:

https://www.insidehighered.com...-competitive-go-test

And the NCAA is also abolishing the SAT/ACT requirement for D1 for incoming freshmen:

https://www.usatoday.com/story...tandards/5152671002/

Well, that’s fair to most but thinking about my kid not sure that helps him at all. He busted it to take his SAT early and did very well. If all the HA schools waive the SAT, not sure where that puts the kids that took it and did well. Does their score noT matter? My kid is taking 5 APs this year and has not had real instruction for almost two months.  How are schools going to be able to compare potential admissions if some kids have scores and others don’t? Or if a student athlete decides not to take the SATs in the fall even though they are being offered but the schools waived them so no need? I think the proactive student athletes are going to get screwed by this decision. That doesn’t mean it’s the wrong thing to do but these actions have unintended consequences just like giving back a year of eligibility. 

Well, that’s fair to most but thinking about my kid not sure that helps him at all. He busted it to take his SAT early and did very well. If all the HA schools waive the SAT, not sure where that puts the kids that took it and did well. Does their score noT matter? My kid is taking 5 APs this year and has not had real instruction for almost two months.  How are schools going to be able to compare potential admissions if some kids have scores and others don’t? Or if a student athlete decides not to take the SATs in the fall even though they are being offered but the schools waived them so no need? I think the proactive student athletes are going to get screwed by this decision. That doesn’t mean it’s the wrong thing to do but these actions have unintended consequences just like giving back a year of eligibility. 

I agree the process is going to be strange.  (45 minute AP online AP exams?  Seriously?)  But IMO, for most applicants at top-tier HA schools a good test score is necessary, but not really a distinction.  That is, you might need at least a 33 or 34 ACT to be in the mix academically; but a 35 or 36 isn't going to distinguish you from others who also made the cutoff.  Once you are in the pool of qualified applicants, then it comes down to X-factors--an achievement that makes an applicant stand out in a crowd of very accomplished students, a connection to an alumnus or large donor, being 1st generation college or a member of some minority groups. 

Top schools have 5 or more applicants for every spot who have 99th percentile test scores.  I don't think going test optional will change things much except the for a relatively small handful of students who have great grades, took 8 or 10 APs, won a some major prize or achieved some important distinction, and couldn't raise their standardized test scores even with tutoring, multiple attempts at the test, etc.

For sure having a high SAT/ACT score is still going to help, it just won't be required.  Same with the AP classes - what is helpful is that the school counselor will be able to write that he took the most rigorous program at his school. 

I would assume that, just as in any year, any college coach is going to want to know that an athlete can be admitted to the school by whatever standards the school uses.  Shouldn't matter that admissions standards have changed, there will still be standards.  That will apply to anyone.

Not normal times, everyone knows that.

Sorry to drop another bomb on 2021/22/23s.  What do you think about the scouting in the fall?  College coaches missing the spring and having too many players coming in they will use every weekend they can to see what they have and especially if they get what they want which is more scrimmages in the fall.  i wonder how many will be able to be out recruiting versus working with what they have on campus.  I know recruiting is vital but for immediate success trying to figure out who you are going to keep on roster and who you are going to red shirt and who you are going to let go this fall will be priority #1.  If it was my son, I would beg the coach to pitch him on as many Sunday games as possible because I think more guys will be recruiting on Sundays.  JMO

PG has some regional events scheduled around here still on for May.  I know those are franchises but glad they are being optimistic.  I saw a small tournament organization publish on FB that they would have tournaments starting weekend after Mother's Day.  Each team is only allowed 13 players, 2 coaches, and 25 fans.  Welcome to the new normal.  The question is now whether parents will let their kids go if only 25 fans total are allowed.  I read it and thought 1 parent is not getting to go unless they assumed 1 of the coaches is a dad.

Here is the weekly update from PG:

With some states starting to reopen under Phase 1, we remain shut down for the next week. We continue discussions with all facilities and health experts to ensure we are ready to go as soon as it is safe to start playing again. 

At this time, we are continuing to postpone events for the next week.  We continue the process of rescheduling and will announce the new PG schedule as soon as we possibly can. 

Note: It does appear that we will be playing before much longer.  All scheduled events will take place as they now appear with the PG WS, WWBA, BCS, Super25, and Youth Tournaments and Showcases. Please keep checking the PG website for further information regarding both makeups and regularly scheduled events.

We will soon be releasing our operational plan. We will be following all the necessary recommended guidelines. We not only plan to run the best events, we want to run the safest events for everyone involved.

USA Baseball posted this for Western Team Championships in Phoenix:

”National Team Championships Registered Teams,

Members of the USA Baseball staff held a conference call on Friday to discuss the status of our upcoming events and the continued effect of the COVID-19 pandemic. Stemming from this conversation, we would like to share with you an update regarding the National Team Championships.

Due to this unprecedented situation and its ever-evolving effect on regulations set forth by federal, state and local governments, USA Baseball will continue to monitor the impact of COVID-19 daily and provide a definitive update to our Summer 2020 schedule on-or-around Monday, May 18.

We apologize for any inconvenience this additional delay may cause; however, we felt it prudent to follow this course of action in an effort to maintain the planned on-field programming offered by USA Baseball this summer.

With this change to our initial timeline, an updated timeline is as follows:

• A final decision on the National Team Championships will be announced on-or-around Monday, May 18.
  • If the National Team Championships do occur on schedule, final payments will be due on Friday, May 29.
  • If teams drop from the tournament before May 29, they will receive a full refund of deposits and registration fees that have been made up to that date.
  • If the National Team Championships do not occur, all teams will receive a full refund of deposits and registration fees for the event.
  • If necessary, USA Baseball will begin to process and send all refund checks the week of June 1.

If your team is utilizing USA Baseball's Travel Services department to book hotels for the National Team Championships, please note that the hotel reservation deadline has been extended to Friday, May 29. Please email travel@usabaseball.com if you need further assistance.

We appreciate your continued support of USA Baseball and we will continue to champion the best possible course of action moving forward with consideration to the best interest of all parties involved.

Thank you for your understanding and please stay safe!”

I think they’ll definitely be limited, but probably just as much by the consumers. There are a lot of people not willing to travel and stay in hotels right now. It may result in some teams being forced to fold this summer. 

FL only has a few more weeks of school. Once that is over I can’t see any reason they shouldn’t rent the fields. The tournaments also need the main complexes to be cleared for use. Some are being used as testing sites and may not be available. 

I saw an update today on Prospect Wire's site stating they were told they most likely will not have access to the Mets facility they use for one of their main tournaments. The Mets told them they would either be doing spring training or would have all of their top minor league prospects there training due to the minor league season possibly being cancelled.

If this ends up being the case, Jupiter (Roger Dean), West Palm (Fit Team), and Ft. Myers (Jet Blue) will not be available. Ft. Myers still has a few complexes that may be able to hold a smaller scale tournament. 

PG just rescheduled a showcase from this weekend to June. It wasn’t a major showcase, but I think it’s significant because it was at a complex not being used for testing and is not an MLB spring training site. Either they couldn’t commit to criteria being required by the local government or they didn’t have enough participants to make it worth their while. 

Heard today that the dead period may be extended to 7/31. Travel coach is letting everyone know so they can decide on whether they still decide if they are going to play or not since coaches likely will not be out watching. He said the travel practices will start 6/15 and will try to get in as many tournaments as possible. 

I would question the source of that information.   The NCAA put out a number of updates just a couple of days ago including that the committee would meet Wednesday May 13th to make a final decision on extending the dead period to June 30th.  There is no mention of any possibility of extending the the end of July.

"The group also committed to make a final decision on an extension of the recruiting dead period through June 30 at the group’s May 13 meeting."

The entire statement can be found here:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/reso...nket-waiver-requests

Coach said he heard it from two different coaches he was trying to get to come watch the kid play. He could be wrong, and it wouldn’t be the first time. But I thought it was somewhat credible since he used that info to offer parents an out on their summer commitment. He could just as likely be saying it to make it seem like he is more connected than he is. 

FL has a lot of obstacles right now. The MLB complexes won't commit to anything because they don't know if MLB will be using them. Most of the other complexes are owned by cities and counties and they are now saying they may not open them for tournaments until phase 3. 

A coach I know was told the same thing as your friend about one of the tournaments this coming weekend in East Cobb. He woke up this morning to a notice that it is being postponed. 

@baseballhs posted:

Palm Beach.  I think that one has sand. I’m going to the one with baseball and water.

I’m hearing Palm Beach won’t have baseball by then. Fit Team and Rodger Dean will be in use by MLB (hopefully). All the coaches around here are saying mid June at the earliest  

If their backup fields are county owned, which most are, those will probably be off limits. They haven’t reached phase 1 yet. The FL counties that host a majority of the tournaments are now saying they won’t open fields for tournaments until closer to phase 3  

Their beaches are apparently closed right now. I live just north of them and my county just started checking IDs at our beaches to keep the Palm Beach riff raff out. 

**Which PG tournament are you looking at? Their site doesn't appear to have anything listed during those dates for a showcase or tournament. 

Last edited by TerribleBPthrower

Sorry, I listed everything wrong.  I saw a chance to play and we booked...the team had invited us to play in a bunch of PG tournaments so I assumed this one was.  It is the Prospect Select Classic.  It does list the FIT field and Dan Rogers Stadium.  He didn't say what the back up fields were.  I contacted the PS group today for clarification.  I read today that they are opening the fields back up for pro sports but the Field administrators said they had not been contacted by anyone to get the fields ready for a Spring Training.  I also assumed all the beaches in Florida were open but it says Palm Beach just opened today and for exercise only.  Guess I'll wait to hear back.  The coach also sent me a text yesterday saying there was a PBR team camp on the 4th and we could attend that free of charge in Daytona.  Haven't done research yet to see if they are open, but not planning to attend.

@baseballhs posted:

Sorry, I listed everything wrong.  I saw a chance to play and we booked...the team had invited us to play in a bunch of PG tournaments so I assumed this one was.  It is the Prospect Select Classic.  It does list the FIT field and Dan Rogers Stadium.  He didn't say what the back up fields were.  I contacted the PS group today for clarification.  I read today that they are opening the fields back up for pro sports but the Field administrators said they had not been contacted by anyone to get the fields ready for a Spring Training.  I also assumed all the beaches in Florida were open but it says Palm Beach just opened today and for exercise only.  Guess I'll wait to hear back.  The coach also sent me a text yesterday saying there was a PBR team camp on the 4th and we could attend that free of charge in Daytona.  Haven't done research yet to see if they are open, but not planning to attend.

We were hoping to play in the Palm Beach Classic that weekend. Fit Team is still being used as a testing site. I'm still hoping they get everything cleared in time. What age is your son playing in? I think my son's team is playing 16u for that one.

If they are open for exercise they should be open for regular use by the time you are here. Daytona should be wide open. They have been one of the most open areas of the state the entire time.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area or the fields or anything like that.

TerribleBP, I think that the majority of the teams (esp the larger orgs) have a solid relationship with PG/PBR, and simply carry the credits onward.

For instance, I believe that the upcoming events in GA for PG in May (if they even go off, which I doubt) will lose probably 20% of the teams that are currently registered, and they’ll just carry over to future events. 

Looked at his orders for youth sports. 

Effective May 31, 2020, youth sports may begin holding practices without spectators other than one parent or guardian per participant, as needed. Those sports may begin holding games or similar competitions, with or without spectators, on or after June 15, 2020. Spectators should maintain at least 6 feet social distancing from individuals not within the spectator’s group.

This is the part of the Texas announcement related to baseball.  In this context, "youth" would include highschool age.  

Effective May 31, 2020, youth sports may begin holding practices without spectators other than one 
parent or guardian per participant, as needed. Those sports may begin holding games or similar 
competitions, with or without spectators, on or after June 15, 2020. Spectators should maintain at least 6 
feet social distancing from individuals not within the spectator’s group.

Latest from PG:

---------------------------------------------------

Updated Monday, May 18, 2020, 6:15 p.m. ET

Finally, a bit of good news.

We will be playing very soon in some states.  Most events this week are postponed, but still waiting to hear back from Alabama government officials this week. It looks like all events everywhere in the country scheduled from June 1st on could be held as scheduled, once again depending on governmental decisions.  A few events may change venues/locations, be sure to check. We will be notifying all that are signed up, but please be proactive and check the schedule. Things could, and probably will, change quickly from now to the end of the month.

Now as we learn more, we can start rescheduling the events that were postponed earlier. Teams and individuals will be able to choose between many events for their makeup.  Just make sure we know what you are transferring to.  In some cases, we will be adding events to make up for earlier events that were postponed. Only events you might not be able to transfer to would be invitational only tournaments or showcases.

We have all the safety procedures in place and that will be released soon.  Just keep checking this page as well as event pages on www.perfectgame.org for more information.  We could have several updates this week as more information comes in.

Note: Many of our tournaments and showcases will be streamed this year. Plus, there are some new great technologies that will benefit players, scouts, and college recruiters. You will soon be reading much more on that subject right here on this website.

Please stay safe.

https://www.usabaseball.com/ne...446682?tid=216639934

USA Baseball Announcement

The following events have been tentatively rescheduled on the 2020 calendar:

• 17U National Team Championships North Carolina (July 27-30)
• 14U and 15U National Team Championships Arizona (July 27-30)
• 16U and 17U National Team Championships Arizona (July 31-August 3)
• 15U National Team Championships North Carolina (August 4-9)
• 10U Futures Invitational (August 6-9)
• 16U National Team Championships North Carolina (August 11-16)
• 11U, 12U, 13U and 14U NTIS Champions Cup (August 19-23)
• 15U and 16U NTIS Champions Cup (August 26-30)

The following events and national team programming have been cancelled:

• 11U Futures Invitational
• 13U/14U Athlete Development Program (ADP)
• 16U/17U National Team Development Program (NTDP)
• National Team Championships Florida

The 14U Cup (July 24-26) and 11U/13U Futures Series Irvine (August 28-30) are set to take place as originally scheduled.

Received this in an email today from the PBR Director of IA/MN/NB:

Hello!

I have received a couple phone calls and messages pertaining to this subject; so I wanted to reach out and communicate to the group.

As you may have heard, college coaches are not allowed to attend any baseball events through the end of June. In the industry, this is technically called a recruiting “Dead Period,” which has been extended into the summer due to an NCAA legislative vote stemming from COVID-19. This pertains specifically to D1 and D2 schools. This recruiting “dead period” may even extend to August after the next NCAA ruling; which has the potential to be a “likelihood” as well.

Even though college coaches are required to stay off the road, they most certainly…….. are still evaluating and recruiting. Their need and want for updated video, metrics, etc. has exponentially increased with these restrictions being in place.

This summer, Prep Baseball Report events are one of the only sources for college coaches and pro scouts to still see you completely as a player. Thanks to our investment in technology and partnerships with global baseball leaders in the tech space, college coaches will have everything they need to see all the hard work and improvements in your game.

+ Not only will they see your edited video of your performance, they will have access to your elevated pitching and hitting data captured by TrackMan and Blast swing sensors. Moreover, your complete scouting report, statistics, advanced data, and edited video will all live inside your player profile on the Prep Baseball Report website.

+ In addition; we are also looking at various options and are currently planning on Live Streaming the events in some capacity to allow those not in attendance to view the event in real-time.

My phone has been ringing off the hook from college coaches asking what we are doing to help them continue to do their job at the highest level possible given the recruiting restrictions. We have told them, just as we are telling you now, we got you covered.

We are committed to helping you reach your dreams of playing baseball at the next level, even during these times. And thanks to our investment in technology, Prep Baseball Report is the No. 1 trusted connection between you and college coaches during these crazy times.

With more than 800 college coaches subscribed to Prep Baseball Report services, our platform provides the opportunity to get your information in front of more coaches than what would ever be at a singular event.

CLICK HERE to learn all the technology and features at our events.

As Always- please contact me if you have any questions about the upcoming events, recruiting, or anything in general.

Look forward to seeing you soon!

I would imagine so. They typically put up webcams every year.  

You might think you're in some remote place or field, but coaches can log in and watch and replay too I think.
Also every field has a gun and a score keeper so DiamondKast at every field (again coaches can log in and follow, pitch by pitch and speed. 

The dead period isn't the issue it will be the use of all the fields. 

Are you asking them if they would consider postponing until coaches can go or if they would cancel? I think there is zero chance they would cancel and I doubt they would postpone a tournament unless they were forced to. The bigger events that have been cancelled so far will likely be played in August, so still opportunities for coaches to see some players in person. 

East Cobb facility has had video streaming capabilities for several years now. And per PG:

Many of our tournaments and showcases will be streamed this year. Plus, there are some new great technologies that will benefit players, scouts, and college recruiters. You will soon be reading much more on that subject right here on this website.

Thr biggest hindrance will be if they can’t get on HS fields. 

A lot of FL school districts won’t allow anyone on their fields until they’re allowed to open their campuses again. Even the private schools won’t open their fields  

What are you guys hearing about your schedules and travel? Most of the teams around here in southeast FL are not planning to travel, including my son’s. Sounds like every team has a few families not willing to stay in a hotel. The hotels will probably be the cleanest they’ve been since the day they opened, but I can still see people being creeped out by them. 

BP:

I think son’s team originally had 9 events on the schedule. Only 4 were out of state. 

I know that one has been postponed to August already. I think the other 3 will go off as planned. So he’ll hit Hoover, Nashville, and Sanford. Hoover & Nashville look to be good to go for June. Sanford in July will probably be fine. 

I hope you're right, but Showball did cancel its July events in Long Island and said, "As of this morning, the NCAA has extended the dead period through July 31st. Therefore since college coaches can not leave their campus to recruit during a dead period, we have officially cancelled all Head Coach Academic Camps scheduled for July in Medford, NY." I would assume they'd know. 

From an email:

Our Head Coach Academic Camp On July 7-8 in Plano, TX Has Been Postponed Until August 15-16.

Please See Below For Transfer Or Refund Options

As of this morning, the NCAA has extended the dead period through July 31st. Therefore since college coaches can not leave their campus to recruit during a dead period, we have officially postponed our July 7-8 Head Coach Academic Camp (Plano, TX) until August 15-16, 2020 at the same location in Plano, TX.

Head Coaches Still Committed For New Camp Dates
As we continue to receive confirmations from the head coaches regarding the new camp dates (August 15-16), we are confident that most of the listed head coaches will still be committed to attend. Ultimately, once officially changed on the website, we will continue to update the list of schools with all "committed" and "confirmed" head coaches.

Again, while the situation is fluid and can change between now and then, we will continue to keep you posted of any updates or adjustments.

Please note: Since the Big 12 has stated the conference may not host or attend on or off-campus camps through August 31st, TCU and Baylor are no longer permitted to attend.

I hope you're right, but Showball did cancel its July events in Long Island and said, "As of this morning, the NCAA has extended the dead period through July 31st. Therefore since college coaches can not leave their campus to recruit during a dead period, we have officially cancelled all Head Coach Academic Camps scheduled for July in Medford, NY." I would assume they'd know. 

Where exactly are you seeing this? 

Rumor is dead period will be extended THROUGH July.  Trips to ATL (WWBA) and ORL (PGWS) are now up in air I guess.  Junior National Showcase (Hoover) moved back to end of June (right on top of our Area Code UC tryouts), but then AC cancelled.  So I guess now we can make Hoover and we'll play a bunch of local tourneys.  What a sh&*show.  I can only preach Bigger / Faster / Stronger for so long...................

Rumor is dead period will be extended THROUGH July.  Trips to ATL (WWBA) and ORL (PGWS) are now up in air I guess.  Junior National Showcase (Hoover) moved back to end of June (right on top of our Area Code UC tryouts), but then AC cancelled.  So I guess now we can make Hoover and we'll play a bunch of local tourneys.  What a sh&*show.  I can only preach Bigger / Faster / Stronger for so long...................

not sure how Area Code works for non-pitchers but Rising Juniors pitchers (underclass games), trying out - if you don't throw 90+ you will not make it. Didn't say anything about command or spin, but last year when we went, they only kept guys who threw 90+. Throw as hard as you want, over the catcher, hit the fence.. OK, next.  other guys throwing darts and curveballs, topped 89....Pass....  We heard the scrimmage was bad, as the gas throwers didn't have command.

Didn't expect that.

@Eokerholm posted:

Throw as hard as you want, over the catcher, hit the fence.. OK, next.  other guys throwing darts and curveballs, topped 89....Pass.....

Eokerholm:

I remember son's first PG event..an indoor one. They were recording pop times for catchers and there was a middle infielder around the 2nd base bag to take the throw. I recall one player saying to another, "just throw it as hard as you can."  Balls were flying all over the facility. I remember looking an event summary and seeing the "top guys" listed for that activity, which were some of these guys who skipped the ball or threw it into CF, lacking  accuracy.

My son (a base stealer) says to me, "I hope I play against some of those guys."  I guess its like the 98 mph pitcher who can't find the plate--"we can't teach velocity, but we'll tinker with his motion. "

Yes, it's like trying to get "gas" on metric at PG event, which makes sense.
If you're sitting 0-2 or 1-2, no one on, catcher should know and set up that you're throwing outside, 4 seamer to get a good speed on record.

Scoreboard (or scorebook) doesn't have a replay.  

Command was painful to watch at those tryouts. Funny thing was the guys were talking and saying "I have no idea where it is going". SCARY!!!  

I give these guys credit. I couldn't stand in the box with a good pitcher throwing 90+ at me, let alone some velo guy with zero command....No thank you!

@Eokerholm posted:

not sure how Area Code works for non-pitchers but Rising Juniors pitchers (underclass games), trying out - if you don't throw 90+ you will not make it. Didn't say anything about command or spin, but last year when we went, they only kept guys who threw 90+. Throw as hard as you want, over the catcher, hit the fence.. OK, next.  other guys throwing darts and curveballs, topped 89....Pass....  We heard the scrimmage was bad, as the gas throwers didn't have command. 

While Area Code is a great event(s), the tryouts are more of a formality than anything. Those teams are 95% picked before the kids start warming up the day of the tryouts. Never had a scrimmage in either year we went. 

I think AC tryouts were the single best recruiting event I've attended, unfortunately the team is just predetermined. 

Got that same email about Area Code underclass being postponed until July sometime. Going to be interesting to see how that plays out on our team as we have 3 or 4 kids who were invited and we have tournaments scheduled all through July. 

Also, wonder where they are going to have it now in our neck of the woods since Baylor (or any conference school) can't host any events on campus this summer per the Big 12.

My son had his first action today since February 12. He was 1-2 with 2 walks. Somewhere he picked up speed during the shutdown. On several occasions he got ahead of the runner going down the line to back up first on a ground ball. We also noticed a big gain in arm strength. Looks like a couple more scrimmages until tournaments open in south Florida in July

PG posted this on their page for the upcoming Jr National showcase. 

"Per the State of Alabama Safer at Home Order and being enforced by the Hoover Met Complex, all players, coaches, officials, and spectators over the age of five shall wear a mask or other facial covering that covers his/her nostrils and mouth at all times except when a player or official is on the field during a game/workout. Perfect Game will have complimentary disposable masks available at the gates for those that do not have a personal mask."

@Senna posted:

PBR continues @ Lakepoint this weekend. Watching LHPs in the low 90s and a RHP topping 100 was amazing. Looks like some young guns were definitely able to stay on path during the past few months....

Someone sent me the twitter on the RHP who hit 100, Chase Burns.  I see on Diamondcast he was topping at 92 last July.   Some of these kids make amazing leaps in velocity over a year and it's particularly impressive given lack of access to gyms the past few months.   Last July I noticed he was 92 in the first inning, sat 90-92 for that inning, and then dropped to 87-88 until his last pitch which bumped back to 90.  Yesterday he hit 100 in the first inning (according to screen shot, no diamondcast I can find).   Are pitchers at these big tourney told to jack it up early to put up a number and then back off to last a few innings or is it just normal to be faster early due to being fresh and the adrenalin?  

https://twitter.com/lakepoints...900730392227848?s=21

@Gunnar, my guess is with a team like Canes, they have enough arms that they can be flexible. Fairly sure this is the first event for them this year, so I’d assume they gave everyone a bit of free rein to put up their number. We left after the first inning, and w/o DK or similar (one of the big things missing from PBR GA), I don’t know if they pulled him after 1 or let him go all 3 innings before they run ruled (which is what the other beast in 17U this weekend is doing).

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Thanks. Do you know where they moved the tournaments?

Looks like everything is in Ft. Myers and Sanford. I’ve been hearing both will be available, but as of right now they are still closed. Once something is open I don’t see it being closed again. However, if it isn’t open yet it is easy to continue to delay the open. 

My sons coach mentioned something yesterday about a big event being moved to Hoover. It wasn’t my sons age so I didn’t pay close attention. 

Looks like everything is in Ft. Myers and Sanford. I’ve been hearing both will be available, but as of right now they are still closed. Once something is open I don’t see it being closed again. However, if it isn’t open yet it is easy to continue to delay the open. 

My sons coach mentioned something yesterday about a big event being moved to Hoover. It wasn’t my sons age so I didn’t pay close attention. 

Supposed to go to the 15u PG World Series the week before the Freshman All American and that is in Sanford. Hmm, wondering if these both don’t get moved.

As they should. We're playing in the 18U WWBA and a bunch of teams shouldn't be here. You can't come and compete with 12-13 players and getting beat 24-0. Yes they didn't want to invoke the run rule in order to play, but when teams are putting up 15-24 runs on you a game, you wasted your money coming all the way from CO.

They should have more qualifiers to keep the games competitive. I feel bad for the guys and the parents for those that go 1-4 or 0-5 and never had a chance....

https://www.perfectgame.org/Ev...ult.aspx?event=11281

PG cut a TON of teams from the East Cobb 15u/2023 event. Most of them are now going over to the PBR 15u National Championship at Lakepoint. How is the Lakepoint complex? Any hotel recommendations around there?

LP Complex is really nice. They haven’t been charging for parking this year in my experience. Solid seating, but I prefer to bring my own to stay distant. It’s ATL, so it’s hot. Bring an umbrella  

For lodging, a few hotels at the exit, including a Hampton. Another 3 dozen within 20 minutes. For food, Cfila, Wendy’s, McDs, Subway all within 2 min. More (including Jimmy Johns, a fave of the son) another 5 min up the road). 

https://twitter.com/InsidetheN...277929870340097?s=20

ridiculous....

But the kids will be back on campus by then and the footballers have been. 

Better not mess with Football season or we're all screwed. Too important of a money maker for schools.

Now is the time for people to purchase season tickets and support whatever events they can so more and other athletic programs aren't cut. 

Last edited by Eokerholm

BP,

Just the facts as we observed/exploited 2 weeks ago:

- Tents were fine. We brought one in to set up in one of the outfield areas near the cages. Just don’t be a jerk. 

- No hot food for sale. Cold wraps, plus snack foods and drinks. No cash accepted anywhere. 

- No enforcement of “no outside beverages” or foods, but we didn’t come rolling in with 3 large pies and a case of water in a cart. 

- Definitely have your player bring their water, as coolers in the dugouts were not provided as they were in the past. 

More info here and elsewhere on their site. https://lakepointsports.com/safety-guidelines/

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.