Skip to main content

I would imagine so. They typically put up webcams every year.  

You might think you're in some remote place or field, but coaches can log in and watch and replay too I think.
Also every field has a gun and a score keeper so DiamondKast at every field (again coaches can log in and follow, pitch by pitch and speed. 

The dead period isn't the issue it will be the use of all the fields. 

Are you asking them if they would consider postponing until coaches can go or if they would cancel? I think there is zero chance they would cancel and I doubt they would postpone a tournament unless they were forced to. The bigger events that have been cancelled so far will likely be played in August, so still opportunities for coaches to see some players in person. 

East Cobb facility has had video streaming capabilities for several years now. And per PG:

Many of our tournaments and showcases will be streamed this year. Plus, there are some new great technologies that will benefit players, scouts, and college recruiters. You will soon be reading much more on that subject right here on this website.

Thr biggest hindrance will be if they can’t get on HS fields. 

A lot of FL school districts won’t allow anyone on their fields until they’re allowed to open their campuses again. Even the private schools won’t open their fields  

What are you guys hearing about your schedules and travel? Most of the teams around here in southeast FL are not planning to travel, including my son’s. Sounds like every team has a few families not willing to stay in a hotel. The hotels will probably be the cleanest they’ve been since the day they opened, but I can still see people being creeped out by them. 

BP:

I think son’s team originally had 9 events on the schedule. Only 4 were out of state. 

I know that one has been postponed to August already. I think the other 3 will go off as planned. So he’ll hit Hoover, Nashville, and Sanford. Hoover & Nashville look to be good to go for June. Sanford in July will probably be fine. 

I hope you're right, but Showball did cancel its July events in Long Island and said, "As of this morning, the NCAA has extended the dead period through July 31st. Therefore since college coaches can not leave their campus to recruit during a dead period, we have officially cancelled all Head Coach Academic Camps scheduled for July in Medford, NY." I would assume they'd know. 

From an email:

Our Head Coach Academic Camp On July 7-8 in Plano, TX Has Been Postponed Until August 15-16.

Please See Below For Transfer Or Refund Options

As of this morning, the NCAA has extended the dead period through July 31st. Therefore since college coaches can not leave their campus to recruit during a dead period, we have officially postponed our July 7-8 Head Coach Academic Camp (Plano, TX) until August 15-16, 2020 at the same location in Plano, TX.

Head Coaches Still Committed For New Camp Dates
As we continue to receive confirmations from the head coaches regarding the new camp dates (August 15-16), we are confident that most of the listed head coaches will still be committed to attend. Ultimately, once officially changed on the website, we will continue to update the list of schools with all "committed" and "confirmed" head coaches.

Again, while the situation is fluid and can change between now and then, we will continue to keep you posted of any updates or adjustments.

Please note: Since the Big 12 has stated the conference may not host or attend on or off-campus camps through August 31st, TCU and Baylor are no longer permitted to attend.

I hope you're right, but Showball did cancel its July events in Long Island and said, "As of this morning, the NCAA has extended the dead period through July 31st. Therefore since college coaches can not leave their campus to recruit during a dead period, we have officially cancelled all Head Coach Academic Camps scheduled for July in Medford, NY." I would assume they'd know. 

Where exactly are you seeing this? 

Rumor is dead period will be extended THROUGH July.  Trips to ATL (WWBA) and ORL (PGWS) are now up in air I guess.  Junior National Showcase (Hoover) moved back to end of June (right on top of our Area Code UC tryouts), but then AC cancelled.  So I guess now we can make Hoover and we'll play a bunch of local tourneys.  What a sh&*show.  I can only preach Bigger / Faster / Stronger for so long...................

Rumor is dead period will be extended THROUGH July.  Trips to ATL (WWBA) and ORL (PGWS) are now up in air I guess.  Junior National Showcase (Hoover) moved back to end of June (right on top of our Area Code UC tryouts), but then AC cancelled.  So I guess now we can make Hoover and we'll play a bunch of local tourneys.  What a sh&*show.  I can only preach Bigger / Faster / Stronger for so long...................

not sure how Area Code works for non-pitchers but Rising Juniors pitchers (underclass games), trying out - if you don't throw 90+ you will not make it. Didn't say anything about command or spin, but last year when we went, they only kept guys who threw 90+. Throw as hard as you want, over the catcher, hit the fence.. OK, next.  other guys throwing darts and curveballs, topped 89....Pass....  We heard the scrimmage was bad, as the gas throwers didn't have command.

Didn't expect that.

@Eokerholm posted:

Throw as hard as you want, over the catcher, hit the fence.. OK, next.  other guys throwing darts and curveballs, topped 89....Pass.....

Eokerholm:

I remember son's first PG event..an indoor one. They were recording pop times for catchers and there was a middle infielder around the 2nd base bag to take the throw. I recall one player saying to another, "just throw it as hard as you can."  Balls were flying all over the facility. I remember looking an event summary and seeing the "top guys" listed for that activity, which were some of these guys who skipped the ball or threw it into CF, lacking  accuracy.

My son (a base stealer) says to me, "I hope I play against some of those guys."  I guess its like the 98 mph pitcher who can't find the plate--"we can't teach velocity, but we'll tinker with his motion. "

Yes, it's like trying to get "gas" on metric at PG event, which makes sense.
If you're sitting 0-2 or 1-2, no one on, catcher should know and set up that you're throwing outside, 4 seamer to get a good speed on record.

Scoreboard (or scorebook) doesn't have a replay.  

Command was painful to watch at those tryouts. Funny thing was the guys were talking and saying "I have no idea where it is going". SCARY!!!  

I give these guys credit. I couldn't stand in the box with a good pitcher throwing 90+ at me, let alone some velo guy with zero command....No thank you!

@Eokerholm posted:

not sure how Area Code works for non-pitchers but Rising Juniors pitchers (underclass games), trying out - if you don't throw 90+ you will not make it. Didn't say anything about command or spin, but last year when we went, they only kept guys who threw 90+. Throw as hard as you want, over the catcher, hit the fence.. OK, next.  other guys throwing darts and curveballs, topped 89....Pass....  We heard the scrimmage was bad, as the gas throwers didn't have command. 

While Area Code is a great event(s), the tryouts are more of a formality than anything. Those teams are 95% picked before the kids start warming up the day of the tryouts. Never had a scrimmage in either year we went. 

I think AC tryouts were the single best recruiting event I've attended, unfortunately the team is just predetermined. 

Got that same email about Area Code underclass being postponed until July sometime. Going to be interesting to see how that plays out on our team as we have 3 or 4 kids who were invited and we have tournaments scheduled all through July. 

Also, wonder where they are going to have it now in our neck of the woods since Baylor (or any conference school) can't host any events on campus this summer per the Big 12.

My son had his first action today since February 12. He was 1-2 with 2 walks. Somewhere he picked up speed during the shutdown. On several occasions he got ahead of the runner going down the line to back up first on a ground ball. We also noticed a big gain in arm strength. Looks like a couple more scrimmages until tournaments open in south Florida in July

PG posted this on their page for the upcoming Jr National showcase. 

"Per the State of Alabama Safer at Home Order and being enforced by the Hoover Met Complex, all players, coaches, officials, and spectators over the age of five shall wear a mask or other facial covering that covers his/her nostrils and mouth at all times except when a player or official is on the field during a game/workout. Perfect Game will have complimentary disposable masks available at the gates for those that do not have a personal mask."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.