Skip to main content

Perfect Game's web site shows a May 9-10 showcase in Atlanta.  My 2020 isn't in the market for showcases this summer, but I am curious:  Has anyone heard or read anything about what the summer HS travel ball / showcase scene is going to look like?  A lot could change between now and July, but is there any chance of PG running an event in Atlanta in early May that will attract players from all over the southeast (and probably some from well beyond it)?  

I have gotten a few emails about summer college camps being postponed.  I know American Legion ball is cancelled in NC and SC, and the Legion World Series has been cancelled.  Have any of your kids' travel teams said anything yet about their summer plans?  Any other info out there?  (I know nobody really knows anything yet.  But do you think you might know anything?)

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

PG isn’t cancelling anything until they get within 2 weeks of the event. I think its a good policy. I’ve only been paying attention to FL, but I think it may be possible to do events in Ft Myers as they have a lower amount of infections. I can’t see them doing their events scheduled in West Palm for a while, if at all this summer. Overall, most of FL seems to be on the right track to be able to open up baseball next month. 

Similar to the going back to work topic in the other thread, you will have people who don’t want to travel, stay in hotels, or have their kids in a crowded dugout. I

I'm in Texas.  The problem isn't going to be with our governor in my opinion, it will be the county government that could have restrictions in place to prohibit outdoor gatherings over X number of people.  So, for example, Top 96 has a two day camp in June set for UT- Dallas field, which is in Dallas County.  I think if any of the counties in north Texas would have a restriction, it would be Dallas County.  But neighboring Collin County would be less likely to have a restriction.  But who knows if the showcase could change venues.

TerribleBPthrower posted:

PG isn’t cancelling anything until they get within 2 weeks of the event. I think its a good policy. I’ve only been paying attention to FL, but I think it may be possible to do events in Ft Myers as they have a lower amount of infections. I can’t see them doing their events scheduled in West Palm for a while, if at all this summer. Overall, most of FL seems to be on the right track to be able to open up baseball next month. 

Similar to the going back to work topic in the other thread, you will have people who don’t want to travel, stay in hotels, or have their kids in a crowded dugout. I

I think that it will alsobe up to the people who live in a particular area. If you lived in Ft Myers, would you want a lot of people descending upon you from all different areas, not me.  That's what got FL messed up in the first place.

I think perhaps even if PG is able to host events at East Cobb at some point in May or June, they will look a lot different from the days of old.  In announcing a partial reopening, Gov. Kemp was clear that social distancing and sanitizing would have to be vigorously practiced.  I'm not sure what a baseball tournament would look like under those conditions.

LuckyCat posted:

I think perhaps even if PG is able to host events at East Cobb at some point in May or June, they will look a lot different from the days of old.  In announcing a partial reopening, Gov. Kemp was clear that social distancing and sanitizing would have to be vigorously practiced.  I'm not sure what a baseball tournament would look like under those conditions.

It would be fine until someone does this.

Miami Marlins Pitcher Alex Sanabia Caught on Camera with Obvious ...

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0

Had a conversation with a staff member from PG.  He advised they were optimistic that May baseball would be played at some point and they are ironing out specifics on how to keep everyone safe.   From the conversation I had it doesn't sound like rows of golf carts are gonna be allowed at the bigger events like seen in the past.  My guess is that more venues will need to be secured in order to space games out and the number of scouts/coaches allowed to attend will have limits.   

4arms posted:

Had a conversation with a staff member from PG.  He advised they were optimistic that May baseball would be played at some point and they are ironing out specifics on how to keep everyone safe.   From the conversation I had it doesn't sound like rows of golf carts are gonna be allowed at the bigger events like seen in the past.  My guess is that more venues will need to be secured in order to space games out and the number of scouts/coaches allowed to attend will have limits.   

Yes, this is sort of what I imagine.  I could also see them limiting attendance of non-players to one accompanying adult or none at all.  In Georgia anyway, I think they're going to have to make folks in the stand sit at least six feet apart, so there won't be room for lots of people besides the coaches to watch games.  I also think it's possible everyone's temperature will have to be read before they are allowed in.

--not trying to get political and not speculating whether specific restrictions are warranted--just thinking through what would be required for baseball to be played--

If social distancing is still required, I'm not sure how baseball games would work (outside of MLB's proposal to keep players isolated from the rest of society).  Players would need to be six feet apart in dugouts, during mound visits, at bases.  Umpire couldn't crouch behind the catcher.  Tennis courts were closed in my county because of concerns about transmission via the ball because players both touch it--that could be an issue for baseball also.

If players don't have to be concerned about the above exposures, then fans should be allowed to sit in the bleachers together and scouts in carts.  So I would think baseball requires an everything-is-nearly-normal scenario.

Chico Escuela posted:

--not trying to get political and not speculating whether specific restrictions are warranted--just thinking through what would be required for baseball to be played--

If social distancing is still required, I'm not sure how baseball games would work (outside of MLB's proposal to keep players isolated from the rest of society).  Players would need to be six feet apart in dugouts, during mound visits, at bases.  Umpire couldn't crouch behind the catcher.  Tennis courts were closed in my county because of concerns about transmission via the ball because players both touch it--that could be an issue for baseball also.

If players don't have to be concerned about the above exposures, then fans should be allowed to sit in the bleachers together and scouts in carts.  So I would think baseball requires an everything-is-nearly-normal scenario.

I don't disagree with our logic, but somehow in Georgia, people are going to be able to get tattoos and haircuts starting this Friday, so I don't think social distancing rules apply at all times to all circumstances.  Where it can be reasonably done, it should be done.  So, for example, a barber is going to have to stand right behind your head, while he cuts your hair.  But, his barber chair should be spaced at least six feet away from another barber's chair and waiting customers should be sitting six feet from each other.  So. I guess the goal is to minimize not completely eliminate risk.

In a baseball game, the umpire is going to have to squat behind the catcher, who is going to have to squat behind the plate next to the batter.  There's just no getting around that.  The first basemen is going to have to stay at the bag to get the runner out.  The six feet rule can't be enforced in game situations, but I suppose it could be enforced in the dugout.  Also, the folks in the stands are going to stay six feet apart, and I imagine they are going to limit the stands to only those people necessary for the event to happen.

LuckyCat posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

I don't disagree with our logic, but somehow in Georgia, people are going to be able to get tattoos and haircuts starting this Friday, so I don't think social distancing rules apply at all times to all circumstances.  Where it can be reasonably done, it should be done.  So, for example, a barber is going to have to stand right behind your head, while he cuts your hair.  But, his barber chair should be spaced at least six feet away from another barber's chair and waiting customers should be sitting six feet from each other.  So. I guess the goal is to minimize not completely eliminate risk.

In a baseball game, the umpire is going to have to squat behind the catcher, who is going to have to squat behind the plate next to the batter.  There's just no getting around that.  The first basemen is going to have to stay at the bag to get the runner out.  The six feet rule can't be enforced in game situations, but I suppose it could be enforced in the dugout.  Also, the folks in the stands are going to stay six feet apart, and I imagine they are going to limit the stands to only those people necessary for the event to happen.

Do feel at showcases some of these normal baseball rules can be eased.  I've been at college camps where the games are called by Coaches behind the mound.  Nothing to say that singles/walks can't be granted an automatic lead, etc.  Those are really more for player evaluation in game type situations as opposed to trying to win a tourney, so think they'll be more malleable rules with regards to player safety and maintaining social distance practices as best as possible given situation. 

Wechson posted:

Do feel at showcases some of these normal baseball rules can be eased.  I've been at college camps where the games are called by Coaches behind the mound.  Nothing to say that singles/walks can't be granted an automatic lead, etc.  Those are really more for player evaluation in game type situations as opposed to trying to win a tourney, so think they'll be more malleable rules with regards to player safety and maintaining social distance practices as best as possible given situation. 

I agree.  If I operated an outfit like PG, I might do more showcases, less tournaments, where social distancing protocols can be more carefully enforced, at least at the beginning.  Even with all these measures, some people, including coaches, event staff, umpires, and players, may be leery of showing up.

LuckyCat, I think that is a big question.  How many folks will feel comfortable attending these events?  Maybe fewer early in summer and more if (fingers crossed) things go smoothly.  I also wonder if college HCs who are older or have underlying conditions may decide to send young assistant coaches to some events they used to attend in person?

My son is a 2020 and already committed.  He is getting a raw deal missing his senior season (and prom, graduation, etc.), but at least we don't have to weigh the risks of going to events this summer vs. the risk of not getting seen.  Those of you with younger kids may have some tough choices ahead.

Prepster posted:

Social distancing? How do they intend to disinfect the ball in mid-flight as it passes from one player's hand to the next...to the next...?

Obviously it's not going to be perfect.  Lots of disinfectant between innings, etc.  The point being they can take a lot of steps to reduce the interaction/connection of people as much as possible.  Another point being is if this is the reality of the situation come summer, it's going to be a call for coaches, parents, and students to make if they want to participate given it won't be a full proof solution.  Of course, nothing is that other than staying in your home for the foreseeable future. 

There are a few posts I wanted to respond to, so I'll try to organize them here.

I also thought about whether there would be significant decreases in the number of teams due to people not participating. Especially some of the big tournaments that draw tons of teams that can't drive there. They may not need anywhere near the number of fields they are used to.

Social distancing allows for groups of 10 or less. I know this is a guideline number and it is better when you have everyone maintaining their space. But if I'm a sports tournament organization, that is the loophole I'd use to justify it. There just isn't a way to keep 6 feet apart during a game. So maybe they put a limit on roster sizes or numbers of kids that are allowed in the dugout at a time.

I don't think the bleachers seating will be much of an issue. Most people are sitting by the fence in their own chair anyway. If I were the parks, I'd just get rid of the bleachers for now. 

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd think having every participant/spectator sign some sort of waiver up front would take care of any potential liability issues. 

@TPM brought up what could be the biggest hurdle, do the towns like Ft. Myers and East Cobb want thousands of tourists suddenly coming into your town for a few days and potentially causing outbreak issues?

Terrible, I am a lawyer.  If I had a client who wanted to run a tournament this summer, I absolutely would advise them to get a COVID-specific waiver from anyone who entered the premises.  But I also would advise them that no waiver is a guarantee against liability--and in this situation we are mostly in uncharted waters, because I don't think there are many relevant precedents out there.  LuckyCat's point re: insurance is a good one also.  I wouldn't count on carriers covering COVID-related claims (not without a fight anyhow). 

My bottom line:  Heck if I know how this all plays out.  We will know more in a month or two...  

Chico Escuela posted:

Terrible, I am a lawyer.  If I had a client who wanted to run a tournament this summer, I absolutely would advise them to get a COVID-specific waiver from anyone who entered the premises.  But I also would advise them that no waiver is a guarantee against liability--and in this situation we are mostly in uncharted waters, because I don't think there are many relevant precedents out there.  LuckyCat's point re: insurance is a good one also.  I wouldn't count on carriers covering COVID-related claims (not without a fight anyhow). 

My bottom line:  Heck if I know how this all plays out.  We will know more in a month or two...  

I'm a lawyer, too, but this isn't my practice area.  I do know that waivers might help you win your case, but they don't keep you from being sued.  If your insurance policy won't cover this, you're out of pocket on the litigation costs to get the case dismissed or settled.  It won't be as much as a damages award, but it won't be nothing.

I also wonder about liability for employees.  A place like Lake Point, for example, requires quite a few folks to keep it running.  All those employees will be exposed, too, and will be exposing players and coaches to whatever they've got.  Lake Point is in Bartow County, one of the harder hit exurban counties outside Atlanta in terms of infection rate, and I suspect things are going to get worse there before they get better.  Cobb County has had a particularly rough go, as have all the counties around Atlanta, and has an oddly high case fatality rate at their hospitals.

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Last edited by LuckyCat

I guess I'm confused. If this (by actual medical definition) a form of the flu, do we need waivers to do anything for the flu? Does the flu not kill thousands of people (both young and old), even with a vaccine, every year? Why would this be any different and require a waiver? Again it's simple risk, just like the flu and going to work, school, public areas. If you don't want to be exposed then don't. For those that want to, let them. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.