Skip to main content

Hey guys. I'm currently a bit bored because I have a severe illness that is knocking me out for some time (testicular cancer). Chance of healing is good but can't really coach my kids currently so I would like to do some work to stay sharp. Would of course not charge for it since I'm an amateur.

My qualifications:

-Good with data (write articles on sabermetrics especially statcast) and trained in sql and some R

https://www.fangraphs.com/comm...y/author/dominikk85/

-have read about all hitting stuff and science papers out there and had some lessons for my swing as well (baseball rebellion)

-worked with kids for about two years

I'm really into overload underload, like tech and data and generally develope good plane and batspeed and exit velo, try to mostly use external cues and constraints.

If you are interested shoot me a message, i really need to do something. Won't promise something like 15mph more ev in 6 weeks but we will get better

Would prefer if you either have a pocket radar or swing sensor but not needed necessarily.

Last edited by Dominik85
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wanted to give a little update on the stuff I did. My experience was quite mixed.

I had a few guys who did great work and improved a lot but also a lot of guys who would just send 2-3 videos and then bail or take 2 weeks between videos. Obviously you can't really improve like that.

Had some good success stories though too.

-D3 college player (son of regular poster here) in his final year worked very hard. Swing did improve quite a bit and he hit .300 his final year improving quite a bit from the year before but he also had a wrist injury causing a power loss and meaning we couldn't do the batspeed training stuff but still great experience as the kid had a great work ethic

-HS junior (this season) also from this board started to work with him last summer. Great student and plus work ethic and super strong kid but had some mechanical issues and is not naturally super explosive. Mechanical changes don't  come very easy to him and we had to do lots of constraint drills to get to changes but he made great changes and has a very nice swing now.

Improved exit velo off tee from low 80s last year to 90-91 touching 92 this year and hopefully getting to 95 this year. We also worked a lot on plate coverage and hitting with good angle to all fields as he had a little swing and miss issue and so far he is hitting really well in summer ball with a lot better contact rate and quality. Unfortunately he lost his HS season but still kept working very hard which is not easy to do.

Also worked with a dad with a daughter around 14 years old and a son who is late in his HS career. Also had great work ethic. Daughter has decent pop but had some mechanical issues like bat drag and other stuff. She didn't improve EV that much (57 to 63 according to dad but swing got a lot better. Was a very quick motor learner too.

Son actually improved great in about 2 months of work from low 70s EV to 80-81 t83 according to dad (didn't saw read). He had some issues in the load and balance that needed fixing which he did very fast like his sister. 

-another kid just starting college from this board improved EV from 89 to 94. Did the Ul Ol stuff and a little mechanical adjustment but not as much as the other kids.

Generally I would start working a month or two exclusively on mechanics with the kids and then work on batspeed with ol ul and med ball stuff as well as working on plate coverage, hitting different corners or the zone and adjusting to pitches.

Most credit goes to the kids though and not me as the ones who had success were willing to work 4-5 days a week on it for at least 2 months and in some cases more. 

Unfortunately many kids didn't have the same work including a pro hitter who only send a couple videos and then bailed citing he couldn't work as much due to work (of course not naming names here, did play minor leagues).

This shows not everyone is really willing to set priorities and do what it takes. I always thought this was a given with high level players but apparently it isn't.

Hey guys. I would have Time to Work with Two or three more guys for free. Missing live coaching which is still cancelled here due to covid so it is something to do next to my job.

I have had some good success with guys improving their EV by 5 to 10 mph but also improving mechanics and approach, as I do like to work on optimizing bat path and power but also zone coverage and hitting to all fields as I think pull power is important but it is best to be a complete hitter. One long time student recently committed to a HA D3 after initially struggling in HS so I would call that a success but he also has plus plus work ethic.

Shoot me a DM if interested but without trying to sound too tough I'm only interested in working with kids who are motivated and self driven and willing to send videos at least twice a week without being pushed all the time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.